1986 930 Air-Conditioning Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Dickyboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 930 Air-Conditioning Center Console

Hi,
On my '86 930 I have a central panel for the A/C ***** (!), hazard lights and screen heater quite unlike those that I see in pictures posted here and around the net. The standard 'climate control' panel is demonstrated under the attached link (courtesy of our friends at Victory Motors)
http://victory-motorcars.ebizautos.c...shViewer=false
I'll try and upload a picture of mine in the next couple of days, but can anybody tell me whether they have seen or know of my alternative? It's basically a simple, leather bound board with the ***** and buttons mounted onto it, looks very plain and far too, well, bare, in comparison with that in the attached link.
It does not state 'Climate Control' instead it has no labelling, and it doesn't have the button between the hazard and heater buttons (whatever that is), also it has no handy tray for small items as depicted in the link.
Can anybody a) shed any light on this & b) tell me whether and what it might cost to replace the centre console to this version.
Thanks all.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:24 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen some cars where the center console had been removed with just the gear shifter sticking up. This might have been your case and then the next owner just made a simple panel to house the switches. I've seen used center consoles for sale on ebay for about $100, most of them black. LOL.
Rudy
Old 07-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Dickyboy
Advanced

Hi Rudy,

thanks for the comments. Mine is actually very well fixed, as if it was part of the 'furniture' originally. 100 bucks sounds too good to be true surely....... Do you know whether originals are easy to get hold of? The colour of the car is original 'mossgrün metallack' and the interior is the matching dark green leather. Where might I look for an original centre consol in green???!!
Cheers
Old 07-20-2006, 03:16 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would look for any color and then spray it with vinyl green paint that comes the closest to matching the original. Mosy of the good upholstry companies sell almost any color that has ever been made. I don't believe that your color was very common and the chances of you finding one that color are pretty slim. There are a lot of salvage yards for Porsches and they might be able to find one for you in the correct color. There are two large ones, GAD in Georgia and Los Angeles Dismantlers in LA California.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Some Turbos, particularly the Slantnose cars, have different consoles done as Exclusive options, like this example:

How the ***** and other stuff are arranged on the flat face can vary all over the place.

Is your something like this? If so, it's an extra cost option.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:19 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a black center console on ebay now that will end on the 23rd of July and the current price is $50. It even comes with some wiring and switches. Search under porsche 930 turbo
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 AM
RodR
Intermediate

Funny Jastx, but that's the same console my friend had in his '89 911 Silver Anniversary car. The gauge in the center is a vdo ambient air temp gauge (or something like that).. At least in the silver anniversary cars it was.

-Rod
'88 930 Cab
Old 07-22-2006, 08:18 AM
install425
Track Day

I rearranged mine a bit and put a volt meter in
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RodR
Funny Jastx, but that's the same console my friend had in his '89 911 Silver Anniversary car. The gauge in the center is a vdo ambient air temp gauge (or something like that).. At least in the silver anniversary cars it was.

-Rod
'88 930 Cab
I have seen that design on several 911s. Here is another variation on a 1988 Slantnose. With a flat space they can do all sorts of stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Dickyboy
Advanced

Thanks for the posts guys, very interesting. Mine is similar to Jastxs' but with the litle 'key' light at the top between the hazards and heater button. Otherwise it has the 2 ***** at the bottom, and nothing else in between, like I said I'll try for some potos, was away all weekend. Cheers

Quick Reply: 1986 930 Air-Conditioning Center Console