Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Are header coatings worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The test I read was a few years ago. It was on a V8 and it was Jet Hot Coating I think. The results were that the coating didn't make much if any difference in underhood temps. Didn't seem worth it to me

And header wrap is different than header coating.

Dean
Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ke-rack

Last edited by TrackDays247.com; 03-25-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:56 PM
C43AMG
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deanM
The test I read was a few years ago. It was on a V8 and it was Jet Hot Coating I think. The results were that the coating didn't make much if any difference in underhood temps. Didn't seem worth it to me
correct me if I'm wrong here (its been a while since thermodynamics class) but isn't the issue for the turbo the flow energy in the exhaust (flowing through the turbine) as in the "1st law" of thermodynamics? I.E when less thermal energy leaves the system through the headers (where the coating comes in) there is more energy in the exhaust gas at a lower flow velocity. Obviously that Qout has to go somewhere, influencing the "underhood temp" (or lack there-of when Qout is at a minimum)......but in reality, the energy could be going a number of places besides the general engine compartment air. However for the maximum power output from the turbo, you would want an adiabatic process through the turbine section...correct? So in theory any type of coating or wrapping which woul prevent heat transfer out of the headers would be good, right? Just my .02 about how that particular test relates to turbo performance...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C43AMG
correct me if I'm wrong here (its been a while since thermodynamics class) but isn't the issue for the turbo the flow energy in the exhaust (flowing through the turbine) as in the "1st law" of thermodynamics? I.E when less thermal energy leaves the system through the headers (where the coating comes in) there is more energy in the exhaust gas at a lower flow velocity. Obviously that Qout has to go somewhere, influencing the "underhood temp" (or lack there-of when Qout is at a minimum)......but in reality, the energy could be going a number of places besides the general engine compartment air. However for the maximum power output from the turbo, you would want an adiabatic process through the turbine section...correct? So in theory any type of coating or wrapping which woul prevent heat transfer out of the headers would be good, right? Just my .02 about how that particular test relates to turbo performance...
Yes - this was my point.
This is elementary turbo knowledge.
There is no arguement here.
There may be a valid arguement about coatiing worth as relates to an NA car, but not here.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I got my exhaust manifold done my Swain Tech Coatings: http://www.swaintech.com/
It was their White Lightening coating and DID make a huge difference in radiant heat given off my the header. After a run I can literally stick my bare hand within an inch without touching it and keep it there. Granted if you touch it you will be burned, but it does an excellent job of keeping the heat retained. And you might as well take advantage of the extra heat energy to spool your turbine up instead of making everything around your exhaust extra crispy!

You can paint over the coating with your favorite Exhaust Temp paint if you so desire as well. But this is what it looks like unpainted...I decided to keep it that way. After about a year now it has some slight tanning to it but nothing horrible by any means.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't have any coatings and still managed to see 705BHP on engine dyno at 1.1Bar ( I will accept a + or - 100HP variance ). I race my car under extreme high temperatures.

I am sure the theory has its merits, and in practical terms it helps as well, just look at the bigger picture and channel your money where it works best for performance.

You don't want to coat on SS headers, you are helping them crack.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Jean
I don't have any coatings and still managed to see 705BHP on engine dyno at 1.1Bar ( I will accept a + or - 100HP variance ). I race my car under extreme high temperatures.

I am sure the theory has its merits, and in practical terms it helps as well, just look at the bigger picture and channel your money where it works best for performance.

You don't want to coat on SS headers, you are helping them crack.
Again - you could do better.
Cracking depends on GRADE of stainless - if you are using sub-standard material, then yes, you will acellerate wear - but this is a foolish arguement for a racecar.
You cannot argue against coatings based on IN-experience.
I have datalogged results.
Some of you guys need to think outside the box, and be willing to accept modern practices.

Jean - coatings or wrapping would lower your spoolup by at least 100 RPM - that might help to keep the built 996 TT from leaving you behind exiting the corner.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:46 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yes wraps are different than coating. They both attempt to perform the same function however, keep heat in the manifolds and pipes. The wraps though for some reason seem to be much harsher on the pipes than the coatings. All I know is every ALMS team I know of coats their pipes and manifolds and, a lot of them use cryo treatments on hi-stress motor parts too. There's enough science going on in the "black magic" that I'm a believer.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Some of you guys need to think outside the box, and be willing to accept modern practices.
Thank-you for saying that.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
Again - you could do better.
Cracking depends on GRADE of stainless - if you are using sub-standard material, then yes, you will acellerate wear - but this is a foolish arguement for a racecar.
You cannot argue against coatings based on IN-experience.
I have datalogged results.

Jean - coatings or wrapping would lower your spoolup by at least 100 RPM - that might help to keep the built 996 TT from leaving you behind exiting the corner.
Special Tool

Who exactly are the "you guys"? Do you know who I am , what I do, or what my engine configuration is?

Then... thinking outside the box? Do you think a Motronic pressure sensing Twin plug twin Garrett engine, with multiple programming qualifies? What about a 2WD conversion with 6 speed sequential gearbox? All of this in a street legal car, does that qualify as thinking outside the box to maximize performance while driving the car daily?

You jump to conclusion too quick don't you think?

As for modern technologies, you are certainly misinformed, the coating has been used for over 20 years in different applications, and I do know that they have evolved and can talk about it for hours, but still don't know of any Supercup car with any coatings at all, I guess those are not designed for performance. Would you like to know if the (Alzen/RS Tuning) fastest 996TT on the planet has ceramic coatings on it? Guess.

100RPM faster spoolup? Who needs them? Even a professional racer would not worry about this, just learn to hit the throttle a fraction of a second earlier and you are set. In any case if you allow your race car to fall off boost while exiting a turn it means you are not driving it the way you should.

I will ask my builder who has been doing this for more than 20 years why he uses low grade SS in my $50K engine, also how come he never heard of ceramic coating?

Please. It is better if we keep posts strictly at technical levels instead of generalizing about people and their knowledge or lack of.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Jean - Don't take it so personally buddy, Special Tool was not targeting anyone (maybe DeanM)..but genaralizing. We all have mad respect for your monster.

Yasin
Old 07-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yasin, maybe you are right and I apologize to Lutjens if so.

My post was quoted, therefore I assume that it was directed at me, I tend to react to posts that lecture people in general terms wihtout background, I might have reacted to that.

Not about my car at all, I did not build the engine so I have little credit if any, I was just trying to bring my personal perspective to this thread.
Cheers
Jean
Old 07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Craig, the picture that you show is a classic result of not supporting the turbocharger turbine housing with the bracket that attaches to the engine case, cracking the header is a result.

This is a debate that will endure the test of time.. You either like the coatings or you don't. It's like getting into a debate over which oil is better.. Ford or Chevy.. The results that I have seen on the dyno, reducing radiating temps and allowing boost to build sooner makes be a supporter of coatings. The cost to have headers coated is cheap and in the long run most people like the appearance. If you start with worn out heat cycled headers and try to coat them, and they crack, were they cracking anyway?

Again, I have taken my heat gun and have seen lower temps on the dyno with coatings.. One interesting note is, you can get your hands closer to the exhaust after the engine has been run and shut down. The surface temps are reduced..

In the end, it's a inexpensive process, you either like it or you don't..
Old 07-09-2006, 08:18 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ProtoCab
What's the general consensus about header coatings?

Is it worth it to spend the extra bucks to have headers coated to reduce engine bay temps?

Does it really increase exhaust flow and help spool-up?
Here is the original post.

Again IMO (that is in my opinon) (doesn't amount to ****) I don't think they are worth it.

My car starts to spool at 1700 rpm. Do I give a **** if it is at 1600 rpm even if it cost $200. Not to me. That is what IMO means.

If you asked me if spending $6k on EFI is worth it I would say yes. Again IMO.

Quick Reply: Are header coatings worth it?