Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Muffler Comparison: Fabspeed vs. B&B ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Comparison: Fabspeed vs. B&B ?

I am considering switching mufflers from a Dual out Fabspeed to a Dual out B&B. The Fabspeed is a bit to loud for my taste but if the B&B is going to be the same then it would not be worth it. The Fabspeed is basically a straight thru 3 inch pipe with a glasspack around it which is great for turbo spool and power. Fabspeed also uses a straight pipe for turbo waste which is loud on boost.
I assume that the B&B actually uses baffles to reduce noise? How about resonance while cruising? Has anybody heard these mufflers side by side and have any opinions?

PS. If I switch I will have a 5Kmiles Dual Fabspeed for sale. (dual out on a Fabspeed is actually a single out on the right plus a wastgate out with a tip on the left)
Old 06-23-2006, 05:28 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Most folks seem to go the other way. I had a dual out B&B before I started my current project and it wasn't too loud and didn't resonate.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
D
Instructor

Do you mean most people go the other way beacuse they want more noise? Or they switch to Fabspeed for a different reason?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Gino
Racer

I went with the FabSpeed single. at first, I felt it was OK... but the loudness really got to me. before I went to this direction (K27, B&B headers, cam, etc., etc.) I had the cat bypass with the stock muffler for an '86. I liked that amount of sound; deep and not annoying.
well, I gave it some thought and convinced myself to try a few different set-ups before making a final decision. now I got an older Euro set-up with the single pipe outlet... not too loud, OK. then I tried my gutted cat with the stock muffler... very stealth- low and deep. now to the cat bypass and stock muffler... a bit louder, low and deep but better response, probably because the bypass is 3" pipe right from the turbo flange whereas the gutted cat is resisted on both ends down to 2.5"...
last will be a Borla 5" round (XR-1) into a "U" and a Magnaflow 6" round all with 3" pipe.
not sure that helps you "D", but I believe the standard 'go-to' systems like Fabspeed and B&B are made for those who don't a lot spend time cruising in their cars...
Old 06-23-2006, 06:32 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My single outlet Powerhaus, which I hear is made by B&B, is not too loud at all, but definitely more growl than stock. Long drives in the car do not leave me deaf. I wouldn't mind it sounding a bit raspier, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice obnoxious interior noise.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a single out GHL and I'm happy with the sound level for all around cruising ... at WOT it's LOUD. I live in Florida and as a general rule I roar accross the causeways whenever traffic is light and the noise level bouncing off the causeway walls @ 120mph is pure music, at least to my ears.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:12 PM
1tonturbo
4th Gear

I have a Magnaflow muffler installed that is 3" in and 3" out. It does not resonate but as you start to get into the throttle it really starts to make some noise, as a high performance 911 should. I think it sounds really good and many people have said the same. If you are willing to do a little trial and error with regards to fitment you will be rewarded with both great sound and HP for a fraction of the cost.
Bryan Beaumont
Attached Images  

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2006, 12:56 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Ive had the Fab single and now Fab dual. I cant tell a difference between the two, but the car is now louder with the B&B headers and stuff.

Im one of those louder the better people. You can never turn church music up too loud.

Quick Reply: Muffler Comparison: Fabspeed vs. B&B ?