Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Popping sound at idle...normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Popping sound at idle...normal?

Keep in mind that I'm running a Fabspeed straight pipe (no muffler whatsoever). All smog equipment has been removed and/or plugged. Decel valve is gone. One thing that I've noticed is that at idle, every once in a while I'll here a random POP out of the pipe. My headers don't appear to have any cracks and I don't hear a "PFT" "PFT" sound when I listen near the cylinder banks. As far as I can tell the intake stuff is all sealed. Is this POPPING anything to be alarmed about? Or is this just from having an open exhaust?

I fully expect it to backfire and pop and burble when I'm driving the car and decelerating. I just wasn't sure if this would happen at idle.

AFRs are like 14.5 at idle
Timing is about 10 degrees at idle
Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, its normal as long as it isn't excessive, which from your description it doesn't sound it. Every once in a while you get some unspent gasses in the pipe that as soon as it hits air will ignite making the little pop. Its probably the result of running these cars a little rich.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, srf! The car is running like champ. I didn't think it was anything to worry about, but I've never had a totally open exhaust (I know the turbo muffles to a certain extent).

Quick Reply: Popping sound at idle...normal?