911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Oh WTH. Going EFI. Have ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oh WTH. Going EFI. Have ???

I have decided that I need to make my beloved 930 INSANE.

Within the last month, an acquaintance of mine aquired a new Z06 and promptly began giving me a hard time.

Two days ago while driving home from work in my Vette I saw a guy taking delivery of a 2001 Yellow Viper, and yesterday I saw him cruising around like he was the sh*t.

Even my friend with a new E55 is feeling confident!!!

I have decided that it is time for me either to take my Vette to the next level or my 930 to the next level...and I have decided that the Porsche is up to bat.

Here is my first question: Is there a "kit" that I can buy with all of the components I need to go EFI? If so, what kit do you guys recommend? What kind of $$$ am I REALLY looking at?

Also, what other changes will I need to make to my car to get the most out of the conversion? I am shooting for 500+hp...

Currently, the car has B&B exhaust, andial fuel enrichment, K27, air intake, 1bar boost spring. If I go EFI, I am going to buy Headers, upgrade to a K27HFS, & pull the andial fuel enrichment in favor of Imaginauto fuel head mod. Should I change my cams? What about twin plug???

I know this conversion might take some serious time & money, but to me getting there is half the fun!!!!

Talk to me. Talk me into this. I want a beast, and I want to spank this Z06 and Viper. I want to shoot flames, I want to pi$$ my pants when my aftermarket boost gauge points to the heavens.

Help me. I have finally lost it.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
If I go EFI, I am going to buy Headers, upgrade to a K27HFS, & pull the andial fuel enrichment in favor of Imaginauto fuel head mod. Should I change my cams? What about twin plug???
The fuel head mod is only for a CIS car...you will get rid of your fuel head for fuel rails & injectors in going with EFI. Cams, twin plug, etc...all depends on how much you want to spend. At a bare minimum you need better rod bolts.

If I were you, I'd budget $20k to get a solid motec EFI system installed. If you go crazy with upgrades and completely rebuild the engine, you could be in the $30-$35k range easy.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

TurboKraft and Pat Williams both make an excellent hardware kit for a simple EFI conversion which will allow you to retain the stock manifold and associated hardware. However, for 500hp, you need to enlarge the ports, enlarge the 930 manifold or switch to the 3.2 Carrera manifold. You'll need a good turbocharger, intercooler, camshaft and associated valvetrain components, and twin plug. From there you can add a good ECU like a MoTeC M48. 500hp is not a bolt on kit but rather a custom EFI conversion.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:01 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was picking up some parts at Brumos yesterday and went into the garage to see a customers factory slantnose with CIS that was being DETUNED from 700 hp to around 600 for drivability. The motor was displacing 3.7 liters with single spark, a 964 I/C but the trick to the power was the modification of the CIS with and additional fuel pump or some such trick. All I know is the mech was very German, very unfriendly and did'nt take very nicely to my challenging him on the power figure. He kept mumbling on and on about a Hall sensor and the distributor.

I think it's possible to achieve crazy numbers with CIS as well- you might end up spending the same amount as you would for an EFI system, but apparently it can be done.

The figure I heard for this gentleman's stay at the Brumos garage was $50K.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
TurboKraft and Pat Williams both make an excellent hardware kit for a simple EFI conversion which will allow you to retain the stock manifold and associated hardware. However, for 500hp, you need to enlarge the ports, enlarge the 930 manifold or switch to the 3.2 Carrera manifold. You'll need a good turbocharger, intercooler, camshaft and associated valvetrain components, and twin plug. From there you can add a good ECU like a MoTeC M48. 500hp is not a bolt on kit but rather a custom EFI conversion.
My understanding is that it's also a good idea to get all the reciprocating parts of the engine balanced so that the motor does'nt shake itself apart.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

I don't know guys. I just NEED MORE POWER. I am already used to my current power level and I want more. MUCH more.

I already figured I would be in the 15 - 20k range. My main concern is whatever I decide, I want the car to be reliable.

Is it really that difficult to get 500hp with EFI? I thought that was the main reason people went EFI because it was nearly impossible to get that number with CIS.

Educate me if I am off base. I want to know EXACTLY what I am getting into here.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Cajun
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

EFI does not make power, it unlocks the power potential of the engine in a safe manner. For 500hp, you need to upgrade the engine with at least camshafts, ported heads, improved intake (either ported 930 or 3.2 Carrera), a larger intercooler and twin plug ignition. EFI will allow you to have proper ignition timing and stable air fuel ratios across the wide operating range of the engine, two things the CIS cannot do. EFI can be reliable, provide better throttle response, and better fuel economy if properly tuned.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

It would be MUCH cheaper and MUCH easier to get 500HP out of a 'vette than a 930. I don't even have to know what year your 'vette is. If money is no object mod the 930.
There is a nice article in Excellence on a modded slant nose putting out power in the 500+ range.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

RarlyL8,

The Vette is a 94 and is already modded, but not extreme. For about 7K I could make my Vette insane...

I guess I am leaning towards the 930 because deep down inside, I would like my own version of the Yellowbird...

Either way, you have to pay to play.

Geoffrey, if I lowered my goals to say...450hp....could it be safely done on my current CIS setup?

Thanks again for the replies/discussion gentlemen...
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

See this thread with great pics too: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...FI+ImagineAuto
Old 05-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Jastx,

Thanks for the link. I spoke with the guys at Imaginauto a couple of months ago. Really first class. I may have to give them a call regarding EFI.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I highly recommend contacting Chris Carroll at Turbokraft.com. Last time I spoke with him, he mentioned a plug and play AEM setup (the route I'll be going). This sounded like a relatively cheap route compared to some of the other EFI conversions on the market. He's a good guy and full of info.

Cajun, are you shooting for 500 flywheel or wheel hp? I'd hope at least wheel hp, especially for the money involved in an EFI conversion. I'm currently at 430rwhp (~495 flywheel), and I was surprised that I've quickly become used to the power after coming from a 220rwhp 951. I am looking to fix this by throwing another few hundred horsepower at the "problem".
Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The one thing I can tell you is a correct conversion is not based on cost it is based on meeting the needs of you the end user. You will find that your tuner and installer will need to have special tools and understanding of electronics and be able to tune to make the job right and complete. I see and retune so many EFI conversions out there it is silly. Lots of kits are not all they are suppose to be. Unfortunately you get what you pay for and cheap is easy, making it right is not.

EFI is a great mod and will provide many new door for you and your car. Choose a person and a company that best understands your needs and KNOWS the system like the back of their hand.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Bruce M.
Instructor

Geoffrey or Stephen, have you ever heard of a CIS, single plug system that could be "detuned" from 700 to 600 hp on a 930? Either at the crank or to the ground? I haven't.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 AM
diabolos88
Racer

that guy in Sweden with the 600hp+ CIS 930?
i forgot the companys website??? anyone???

Quick Reply: Oh WTH. Going EFI. Have ???