911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930, 964, 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930, 964, 993

Hi all, new to this forum(like i need to spend more time on another car forum....!)
I have begun looking for a nice turbo car and would very much appreciate some help and perspective from all the experts on board.
I am a big fan of rawness and lightwieght and understand that to be a key attribute of the 930 but know very little about the comparison between the 930 the 964 and the 993 turbos. Any help or advice greatly appreciated. AND yes, I did a search!
From what I know so far, 930 is much lighter, anyone know just how much?
When speaking with a avid Pcar friend today, he cautioned against the 930, saying I will be disappointed in the handling. Great straight line but will not corner with what I am used to.
Can these cars be set up to be very nimble and tossable? I know about the rear engine and lack of nanny with tc etc but can they be razor sharp in tight mountain roads?
I also have seen some heavily modded cars for sale that are claiming they have overcome the considerable turbo lag. My friend is doubtful. What do you think and why.
And please, I mean no disrespect in any way to the model, just doing my research so I can go in knowing the real skinny on some of the quesitons I have. Unfortunately, getting seat time will require some travel, which will happen, but for now its just knowledge and opinions I am after.
thanks, John
Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Pick up the June copy of Excellence magazine, and SLAP your friend with it LOL. The 930 is the least forgiving of the three aircooled cars or rather all Porche turbo production cars, at the same time if driven and treated with respect, it is the most rewarding. I haven't had the opportunity to drive a stocker 930 as mine was modified when I bought it but I have owned two 993tts and they were nice girls but the 930 is a dirty bi*ch.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:41 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Excellent example, you are a poet with humor.

So talk to me about the mods you might suggest. I always consider modded cars first if done well as the value is so huge.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

My '79 is for sale (50k miles). Solid mods for CIS.

450hp with 1bar. I keep it at .7bar normally.

$28,000.

Let me know if you want details.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Dude - The people on this forum are reading this thread and shaking their heads....comparing the 930 to the 964 and the 993....thats like comparing:

TO

TO

We all have 930 cars because we love them and are passionate about them..no ifs..ands or buts.

Do yourself a big favor and use the "SEARCH" button, you will see threads less than a week old talking about 930s making 500 at the wheels.

Oh and tell your so called P-Car friend...he doesn't know $hit....go read the history books that date back from the mid-70s and they will tell you about handling of these cars. Then go read the book of modern turbochargers available and exhausts availabe and see if that addresses lag....or use the "SEARCH" button.

I might sound like an a$$, but ownership of these cars requires people passionate about them and without proper background research...well you might as well go buy a nice Mitsu Evolution.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:56 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slownrusty
We all have 930 cars because we love them and are passionate about them..no ifs..ands or buts...
Oh and tell your so called P-Car friend...he doesn't know $hit...
...you might as well go buy a nice Mitsu Evolution.
+1
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John
I have been meaning to post to your thread on F-chat. Regarding your question here, I own a modded '86 930 and have driven all the others up to a 2003 996tt. The newer cars are more refined and fast, but a modded earlier car can be made faster than the later cars easily. If you want mods, purchase a car already modded unless you want to follow a particular path. I purchased my car for less than the amount that the PO had spent on the mods and rebuild just 2000 miles earlier. (rebuild with new rods, cams, P&C 3.4l, headers, exhaust and I/C plus trans R&R)
Regarding which model, go with your gut. I personally just love the look of the 930. I also like cars that are "raw". The newer cars are so smooth and easy to drive. If it weren't for the power, you could feel like you are in a Honda. The 930 always requires attention and whether you are going 30mph on the streets or driving on a track, it forces you to be "involved" in the drive.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Okay, now that I've given you a non-helpful answer, here's another try:

930 ownership is tough to describe. If you've only owned "new" high performance cars then maybe the "charm" (maintenance, performance, simplicity, old skool looks, lack of creature comforts, quirkiness, etc) will wear thin on you quickly...or then again, maybe it will be a refreshing change for you! In my case I've owned more "old" cars (MGs, Austin Healeys, Triumphs, Porsche 356, Alfa Romeo, 1950s and 1960s VWs, etc) than I've had new cars. And all of these cars were used as my daily transportation. So I'm a regular to early car weirdness. I'm used to no A/C. I'm used to doing all my own wrench work.

I went through a period with my 930 where I really wondered if I made the right decision. I was only able to spend a short while with mine before a new engine was in order. Now that I'm soooo close to being able to fire up that new engine, I know that I did chose the right car. This car has really come to define who I am - if an object can do that. I've learned soooo very much from the experience and this is coming from a guy who is no stranger to building engines.

It's true that this car requires your constant attention when driving...even on the street. However, they can be quite civil and docile when you're just tooling around...almost NA like. It's when you have the tuning dialed in and you stomp on the throttle that this car can create a white knuckle experience for you. There is nothing like the sound of this engine...NOTHING! I dream about it!

If there is a dark side...the 930 is it!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
My '79 is for sale (50k miles). Solid mods for CIS.

450hp with 1bar. I keep it at .7bar normally.

$28,000.

Let me know if you want details.
And this would be a fantastic car at a more than fair price! I stumbled onto to John's website (I think it was my930.com) long ago when I was researching. If I were on the other coast, I would have bought it. BUMP for a great car!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
sand_man
Drifting

One last thought:
If you're looking at the 930 for performance alone, you might be barking up the wrong tree. If you're looking at the 930 from an OVERALL lifestyle/experience perspective, well you might have found your home...
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
riverflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Dude - The people on this forum are reading this thread and shaking their heads....comparing the 930 to the 964 and the 993....thats like comparing:

[We all have 930 cars because we love them and are passionate about them..no ifs..ands or buts.

Do yourself a big favor and use the "SEARCH" button, you will see threads less than a week old talking about 930s making 500 at the wheels.

Oh and tell your so called P-Car friend...he doesn't know $hit....go read the history books that date back from the mid-70s and they will tell you about handling of these cars. Then go read the book of modern turbochargers available and exhausts availabe and see if that addresses lag....or use the "SEARCH" button.

I might sound like an a$$, but ownership of these cars requires people passionate about them and without proper background research...well you might as well go buy a nice Mitsu Evolution.
Well, yes, you do sound like an ***. I spend a lot of time on many different forums and know the drills. I did a couple of searchs and did not find the specific inifo I was looking for. So, in respect to educating myself, that is exactly what I am trying to do. There is always someone on every forum that throws up a bunch of negativity regarding "newbies" questions. In this case, I have been driving cars of passion and power for 15 years and have sampled some of the best of the exotics. I may not know much about Porshce's, although I do have a very highly modded 3.4 conversion boxster that is the reference point that my friend was alluding to as a handling comparison. People like you bore the hell out of me, you can take the time to throw up a bunch of pics and browbeat someone you do not even know but can not be bothered to offer any real help. I have heard good things about Rennlist for years and hope you do not represent the common tenor here.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:12 AM
riverflyer
Instructor

Doug and Sandman, thanks for taking the time to offer some very helpful info.
Anybody know about the relative weights of the three models?
And I do agree about the styling. Nicely clothed aggression!!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
riverflyer
Instructor

Sandman, regarding old school, here s an engine pic from one of the 60's beauties in my garage.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by riverflyer
Sandman, regarding old school, here s an engine pic from one of the 60's beauties in my garage.
Now that's just lovely!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:33 AM
sand_man
Drifting

A nice read:
www.excellence-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html

Quick Reply: 930, 964, 993