911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Undercoating...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:23 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Undercoating...

Where can I get the grey factory or factory like rubber undercoating? I don't need a lot, just some for the area around where I repaired my rear sway bar mount and a few other spots.

What I don't want is that tar like black crap.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-30-2006, 01:22 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That black tar like crap works very well if you use the correct kind. To replace the factory rubber like coating will be very difficult. Plus you will have to be down to the bare metal and use the correct primer to get the same results. This is sort of like the guys that clean the wheel wells on their cars and hate to take their cars out because it dirties up their car. If you do work on your car, use whats available and get on with your life! The point is to prevent rust, not to pass inspection. I can tell from your past post that you have done a lot of mods to your car, so why would you freak out over this one small item? I have used the black crap on several cars and it works fine.
LOL.
Rudy
Old 04-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wurth makes the same undercoating as the factory.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:09 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Geoffrey.

911rudy, I don't really care what color it is or if it's concours, but want something that will stick and be resistant to oils, chemicals, etc. I've just not had long term success with the black stuff.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:01 PM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wurth actually makes and sell their undercoating products to Porsche, Mercedes and BMW.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about limited success with those spray cans of undercoating. Now you can use the bed liner products that are two part, spray or paint/roll on. Most of the big auto houses sell these products. I applied some to some yard tools three years ago and they are all still intact. It can be thick or thin but it must be applied to clean rust free metal. When it cures it is identical to the spray in bed liners that new car manufacturers are using. I rolled mine on and it was useable 24 hours later and must be cut with a knife or chisel to get through it.
Rudy

Quick Reply: Undercoating...