911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Well Finally Lowered The Car + Got The New Sneakers On! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lindsey 17" & 18" are available

I found these at the Lindsey Racing site $565+ each in the 17" size...thanks for the info. How does the rim width translate to the tire widths?

This one is green, maybe silver would make my Jubilee edition car look stock.

Sorry I hijacked this thread!
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 AM
SoFast
Racer

I dont know if that is entirely true about handling characteristics. My friend just went up a size to 18's from 17's and IMHO the car handles much much better than with the 17's he had on there. The new 18" speedlines look great, arent huge, and fit his car perfectly. I truly think it is a matter of personal preference. I was asking mainly due to the fact that Yasin's car was lowered pretty darn low, and if the variation between 17's and 18'swould have had to do with the overall height and rubbing issues.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Coyote - Here is a Lindsey wheel that I think looks Tabasco hot...as its a true three piece:

And yes HRE makes a Fuchs knock-off in a 17"

No worries on the thread hijack...I think I did the same to you on your Polished IC thread!! LOL

SoFast - I agree that 18s on the 930 looks excellent and of course you get a huge tire choice but thought 17" would be the best compromise between cost, weight and handling as I have both sides of the handling story (affects and does not affect). Thanks for your compliments though.

Regards - Yasin
Old 05-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Wow, those look fantastic, now I just need to figure out how to explain to the famly why I need to drop $2800 on rims and wheels and then spen $3k on brakes. I'll start a new thread on brakes here in a minute, but Prototech has an upgrade that would offer me brakes that will fit into my 16" Fuchs and have 993 level capabilities. Also, I can't find the HRE Fuchs knock off rims anywhere.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coyote99
Also, I can't find the HRE Fuchs knock off rims anywhere.
I believe they've stopped making those.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yasin, beautiful car man. The lowering looks about perfect, right at about the euro stock position.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

Really sharp, Yasin!

I had my heart set on Lindsey's, but now you have me thinking again.

Win
Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 PM
senna21
Racer

I've never heard of handling problems by going to a larger wheel. But, I have heard of handling problems by going to a larger wheel and then lowering the car in order to bring it back down to either the stock ride height or lower than stock ride height. When you increase your wheel size drastically you’re doing quite a bit to the suspension geometry. When you do so you need to look at over all tire diameter and circumference. How much will an 18" set up cost you? If an 18" wheel increases the wheel/tire circumference by say an inch that means your car's riding a 1" higher than it was designed for. So you lower it to stock ride height. This now means that your static suspension geometry has changed. Your bump steer is now 1" deeper than it normally is. This will affect camber in the bump steer. While a new alignment will help with it some, it won't cure it 100%. If you're lowering it another inch below the stock you've just seriously changed your steering geometry. Don't be surprised for toe and caster to be affected adversely when cornering hard. Also your steering geometry will be at it's limits. By that I mean your tie rods could very well be binding.

The other thing that is reduced is over all braking and acceleration performance. "What!” you say? That's right. If you go to a larger wheel and tire, and increase your over all circumference and radius you'll be increasing your braking distance and slowing down your cars acceleration. It's that old Torque=Force x Distance equation. By increasing that distance between the center spline and road surface you're increasing the amount of force being applied from the road surface that the brakes must now account for. Here's a good explanation: http://baer.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/0...77251500009940 Take a look at the test data.

The same thing applies in the opposite direction for acceleration. By moving all that extra weight out further (wheel and tire's now further out from the axel) more energy is being used simply to rotate the wheel and tire than is being applied to the ground to move the car.

Personally I wouldn't go any further than 17" wheels on a 930. I might even say that a perfect set up would be a staggered one. 16" on the fronts and 17" on the rear. This is something (staggered) the factory used on the race 935s. I would also choose a tire combo that had a short enough side wall that would keep it as close to the stock circumference as possible. Don't forget the side wall number is a % that gets multiplied by the tire width in order to find the side wall height.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Not only suspension geometry senna21, but wear and tear on bushings, bearings, rod ends, racks, pinions, and ball joints. Unless you upgrade all of those components as well, the additional loads put on the stock pieces might overload them, or at least cause accelerated wear. I do kind of like the staggered approach though.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I have heard about people getting parts to move the steering rack to keep the tie rods (steering arms) straight to eliminate bump steer. I have also seen parts where they put balljoints (track rod ends) which have longer thread where they fit a spacer where they fix to the front strut.

I would definitley do the rack mod, not the other.

I know that Porsche raised the paris-dakar car at the front by moving the spindle/stub on the front strut lower to raise the car.
I guess maybe someone makes them where they would be higher to lower the car without screwing up the geometry.

Anyone know where any of these parts could be bought ?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With all ne cars coming with huge wheels, how long do you think reasonably wide 17" tires are going to be available. I'd like to get some wheels this year and am torn between 17" and 18".Id rathe have 17" but I would expect 17"x 275+ will be a rare beast in the next few years?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:14 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new wheels look sweet!!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
senna21
Racer

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I have also seen parts where they put balljoints (track rod ends) which have longer thread where they fit a spacer where they fix to the front strut.
This is a bump-steer spacer and it works wonders. It effectively lowers the suspension arm back down to its stock position under the upright.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

You could also purchase racing struts where the stub axle is on a set of threads very much like the coil over perches and you can make some amount of adjustment that way too. Haven't seen them in a while though. I guess they're still available.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Guys thanks again for all the compliments....mucho mucho appreciated!!

Yasin

Quick Reply: Well Finally Lowered The Car + Got The New Sneakers On! Pics