Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Well Finally Lowered The Car + Got The New Sneakers On! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go, the bump steer kit for the rack, pelican also do the parts for the track rod ends/balljoints which I wouldn't go for.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...g24.htm#item23

Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S'n'R

Great looking car. Mine is also lowered a bit, but not quite as much as yours. Couple of things to consider. I found that the steering geometry WAS affected enough to notice. I tried the cheap way to fix it first with the above noted Bump Steer spacer kit ($14). Didn't work. I couldn't get the spacers to go where they need to without tearing down the entire steering rack, tie rods, etc. Maybe you could do better.

There are available struts with raised spindles that allow significant lowering without changing the steering geometry, but that's a big job, too. When I had my suspension upgraded, I went with specially designed tie rods that compensate for the lower placement of the steering rack relative to the other components. Relatively inexpensive and work real well.

Finally, you should be aware that the factory issued a recall to re-route the fuel lines on the '89 model because some customers were lowering their cars and having problems with fuel lines rubbing against chassis parts, rupturing and causing fires (Yikes!!). Wouldn't hurt to take a look. Car looks awesome! Enjoy.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Ken - Thanks for the compliments and the heads up. I have not driven the car much since lowering it (only round the block), as I am waiting to align and corner balance it first. But will see and pay close attention on how much the handling and ride has changed.

Also the fuel lines that you speak of, these are fixed hard to the body so lowering the car should not affect them, unless its a part of the travelling suspension that conflicts with these lines? This is the first I am hearing of this, but will make sure and take a look.

Regards - Yasin
Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 AM
SoFast
Racer

Yasin, I have been doing alot of thinking. I was also drawn to a gaurds red wheel center. I currently have 17's and was looking at other rims out there. But I must admit, those HRE's look spectacular. I would love to do 18"s since I feel they update the car and give it the tabasco hott treatment.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:20 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Sorry buddy I cannot permit you to do that...HRE with the Guards Red center...I studied and studied (and studied) wheels, wheels and more wheels for months, months and more months (ask Maxx) did mock-ups in AutoCAD and Photoshop before biting the bullet and placing the order (even then I had buyer's remorse until the car was lowered and the wheels installed)....

So.............

I am expecting some type of Royalty \ Patent \ Check....if you decide to go this route...

Should I give you my Paypal account number now?

LOL

Yasin
Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Sounds like Yasin has a copyright on this color combo. I'd liek to claim the same on the silver wheels, roylaty payments can be negotiated with me via email. LOL

SoFast..post a pic of your car, I'd like to see the 17's you have on it now.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coyote99
...I love those wheels as well, I'm looking into wheel/tire combos now. Since I have a narrow body, turbo motored car, I think I'm a little more limited on width. Also, I hate to lose the look of the silver anniversary Fuchs in silver.

Why is there no one making Fuchs knock-off rims in 17" and 18" sizes?

not to thred jack or anything
hey any cahnce you can give me some info on your car, like who did the turbo set up, what kinda power your making and maybe some pics. if you could pm it to me or start a new thred.
thanks
Eric

oh and the rims are beautiful
Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Send me an email and I'll send you some detail & photos.

The Good:
Body/interion in great shape and its a Jubilee edition car
Prototech did the engine, tranny, and suspension work.
Stage II Turbo with a hybrid turbo, Stage III FI's and a front oil cooler
Tranny rebuilt with some sort of high end clutch (waiting on details)
Lowered and bump steered
It's crazy fast in my opinion

The Bad:
Stock brakes
Stock steering wheel
Heater fan is out of commission
windows are over-tinted for my taste
Stereo face plate missing

Last edited by Coyote99; 05-04-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: a little more detail
Old 05-04-2006, 11:03 PM
SoFast
Racer

LOL...Nice. Actually there was a guy here from Penn that had a red centers that caught my eye a while back. They werent HRE's, but when i saw them on your car, OMG awesome. BTW, I live on the east coast, so Iwe wouldnt run into each other. Does that give me any kind of discount?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Sorry no soup for you.....pay up!

Yasin
Old 05-07-2006, 11:24 AM
SoFast
Racer

I wasnt asking for soup! But if you want me to pay up in soup, Campbels or homemade?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Yasin,

You're new wheels look great but so did your Fuchs.

As this thread has indicated there are a lot of moving parts that interact in a 911 suspension. I believe Porsche had some pretty smart people do a lot of work to make them function together in an optimal manner when they built the 930. You can change what they designed but each element you change affects other elements you will need to account for too. Me, I just stick with what those smart guys decided.

That being said, Guards Red wheels with a Guards Red 930....what could be better?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Well Finally Lowered The Car + Got The New Sneakers On! Pics