Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

My 930 Ranked Against A Modified Mitsu EVO IX and Legacy GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 05:47 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought my '83 3.2 carrera sport coupe I wondered if I had made a mistake. I found the handling a little scary after driving front engined rear wheel drive cars.
Anyway, I went and took out a subaru impreza 4x4 turbo. OK it went quite quick but boy was it dull and very uninteresting.

I knew I had made the right decision and after a few years got better at the handling. 7 years after the 911 purchase I bought the 930.

The 911 is no "euro box".
Old 04-02-2006, 07:19 PM
d993
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UDPride
Youll never get laid driving an Evo over a 930. I had a WRX and it brought out the absolute worst in the candyass twentysomething crowd. Every trip to work was having to deal with the lollipops wanting to show how much stock in Gretty they own. Yawn.

Call me a wuss but I dont race anybody in my 930. I dont care if its a VW Rabbit. Whats to prove. Everybody wants my car. Nobody wants yours. The chicks want to stand next to me, they dont want to stand next to you. My car doesnt depreciate. Yours does. I get respect from Ferrari and Lamborghini owners. You dont. People come to car shows to get their picture taken in front of mine. Nobody does for you. Kids point at my car when I drive past. People think yours looks like a Plymouth Horizon.

Thats the general attitude I take. Im just speaking generically on the subject. Everything thats ever needed proving has long been proven. What I do with my car is beyond the lame dick-measuring so prevelant today. If you feel threatened, it sounds like you are already the loser.

I respect all cars and their performance. Its usually the ******** behind the wheel that tarnish things. Id rather get behind a Cord or Pace Arrow and take a leisurely drive in my 930 than feel like I need to prove something to the guy in the lane next to me. The only thing Id be proving is I dont deserve to own such a fine automobile.

OK rant off. I feel better.
Very well said. I feel the same about my 993!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:35 PM
911T
Instructor

Originally Posted by InC
Hi guys. I am driving a 930 and have no doubts that the japanese makes really good cars. Very strong engines that can take a lot of boost too. However like all cars, when over modded can be really uncomfortable and unreliable.

The EVO had more than 900hp but I am sure it was way off the trash hold. Don't think it can safely run that boost for a long time. We are talking about peak bhp here. Not constant hp. The German machines we have are quite safe to run at 380bhp although we have many of them running around safely with 400 to 500bhp used on the tracks too.

I guess the safe limit for the EVOs will be around 500 to 600bhp. They are fast but due to the drivetrain being AWD, they are much heavier and power loss is also great.

I have no problems keeping up with EVOs and Skylines with 400+bhp so far.
The Black Evo had 903 to the wheels not at the crank over a 1000hp at the crank, He has 20k miles on that built motor.

AMS Shop Car has 800awhp and has ran strong for 2 years and still going strong.Through countless drag events( First fastest Evo in the 1/4 9.41) and track events, same motor diffrent turbo and tune.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Well gang I know most of you don't care for Japanese cars, but there is no denying the power (epecially out of the box) of the new Mitsu EVO IX (282hp) and the Legacy GT (250hp, 250ft.lbs).

Two of my closest friends came over the other night and they both have pretty heavily modified cars:

The EVO:
21psi (!!)
Reflashed ECU
Walbro 600hp fuel Pump
Cat back mandrel 75mm (3") exhaust
Cold Air Intake
Approx power 350-360hp
Weight (approx) 3150lbs

The Legacy GT:
18psi
Cobb Tuning ECU
Custom Bar & Plate Intercooler
Custom 4" - 3" downpipe
Full 3" custom mandrel exhaust
Approx power 310hp
Weight (approx) 3150lbs

My 930 has the usual bolts on that I have posted on here last summer \ fall.
The thought was the the EVO would at least have given me a good run for my money, as the car is very quick and I have driven it and it feels faster than my 930.

All three cars did a second gear roll from about 30mp/h to about 130mp/h and by the time I hit 130mp/h I was several hundred feet ahead of the EVO and the Suby was further behind the EVO....

We did not do any standing start runs to save our clutches and drivelines!

It was great fun and its good to see that the 930 still has the cahonies to put "the humble" on these much newer modern and powerul cars.

The interesting thing is that by the time my friends pay off for their Subaru and Mitsubishi's they could have got a mid '80s 930 and upgraded for less money! Boy did I make them think when I said that....

That's it for now!

Yasin
I usually take the same tact as UDPRIDE, but the one time I did race my car, I learned the following:

About two months ago I raced a close friend of mine who has a new Elise. Our race was exactly the same as yours 30 - about 120 or so...

I HIGHLY recommend starting in 1st gear as opposed to 2nd from this speed, especially if you have a four-speed gearbox like I do. Sure 1st will only last a second or two, but you will be on boost a lot sooner and chances are you won't have to make up as much of a deficit.

I raced my buddy three times. The first time I was in 2nd at 30mph and got RAPED on the start. By the time he shut down at around 120, I was pulling on him HARD but I was already beaten by a serious margin!!! The last two races I started in 1st and he initially jumped me by about two car legnths, but by the time I was at the end of second gear, I was passing him like nothing and by the time I shut down at about 130, he was a good 3 or 4 carlegnths back...

Try this strategy next time you play with them...I promise you will surprise the He11 out of them!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
I usually take the same tact as UDPRIDE, but the one time I did race my car, I learned the following:

About two months ago I raced a close friend of mine who has a new Elise. Our race was exactly the same as yours 30 - about 120 or so...

I HIGHLY recommend starting in 1st gear as opposed to 2nd from this speed, especially if you have a four-speed gearbox like I do. Sure 1st will only last a second or two, but you will be on boost a lot sooner and chances are you won't have to make up as much of a deficit.

I raced my buddy three times. The first time I was in 2nd at 30mph and got RAPED on the start. By the time he shut down at around 120, I was pulling on him HARD but I was already beaten by a serious margin!!! The last two races I started in 1st and he initially jumped me by about two car legnths, but by the time I was at the end of second gear, I was passing him like nothing and by the time I shut down at about 130, he was a good 3 or 4 carlegnths back...

Try this strategy next time you play with them...I promise you will surprise the He11 out of them!!!
Your car must be pretty close to stock? Or leaking boost if you are having any trouble at all with an elise. They are quick, but not anything like a medium-modified 930...

-dc
Old 04-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ In the first race he beat me because I started in the wrong gear and it took forever for me to build boost.

In the two subsequent races he jumped me because @ thirty mph in first gear, I am not yet on boost and by the time I was on boost, he had a slight (roughly 2 car) jump on me which quickly evaporated.

No problems with my 930, and you are right, the 930 will handle an Elise all day long...the truth is that the Elise, when properly driven (from those low speeds), can squirt out on just about anything out there. I was soundly past him by 80 or 85mph.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Elise has a 0-60 of 4.9seconds..on other words pretty stinking quick for a 1.8L normally aspriated motor, and almost half a second faster than a bone stock 930...so I resepct them.

Its funny (and frustrating for us) how modern technology has made these new cars so damn quick!

Yasin
Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 AM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from a roll the evos and subys lose top end steam bad. from a stop they will most likly win. its just due to the AWD. specially the STi, they can launch real hard off the line because of the well built tranny.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Chet 930
Racer

from a roll the evos and subys lose top end steam bad
The Evo with the $18,000 motor that I raced from a roll started losing well before the top end. I know there are some fast japanese imports out there and maybe I havent come across them yet, but I can say that over the last 11 years that I've owned and played with 930 turbos I have yet to get beat by any of them. I remember a modified twin turbo mazda and a souped up mitsubishi 3000 turbo (whatever its called) ganging up on my 89 930 one afternoon as I was driving down the freeway from work. We took off several times from various speeds of 55 to 75. They both got grilled each time. First to fall was the Mitsubishi then the Mazda. But regardless of that, my point is that a properly tuned 930 even in stock form is no slouch. Yes it may get beat from the start, but for the most part....thats it. I dont dislike the other cars at all. Some of them are put together pretty nice. But, outside of a newer Mini Cooper, you'll never catch me behind the wheel of one. Its Porsche Turbo (no matter what year) for me all the way. Even my young son thinks nothing less of it.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:30 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Chet, for some reason people buy those Mini's and then after a year or so get bored and sell them. I get the feeling they can't be that great. I notice they are very heavy.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Chet 930
Racer

They're fun just from a handling standpoint! Maybe not the fastest on a straight away........
Old 04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I was told by someone who sold theirs it didn't corner well. Sure it was a cooper.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:53 PM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My daily driver is a modestly modified STI. It is MUCH quicker (off the line) off the line than my 930. The 930 is stock and the top end between the two cars is similar. The sti handles and brakes 100x beter than the 930. I still love my 930 I just dont see cars through rose colored glases. Its a cool clasic car that responds well to mods. Money for money mod for mod ($ wise) the rally cars are faster than a 930. Lets be realistic guys 930's are 20 + years old. Technology has grown by leaps and bounds.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:26 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't seem to gain a consensus here

Quick Reply: My 930 Ranked Against A Modified Mitsu EVO IX and Legacy GT?