Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

965 Style Blow Off Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:45 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure Rarely made that himself. I think it was either 911Rudy or Gino that made one just like it. Could be sourced cheapley from a hot rod supply store: Jegs, Summit Racing, etc. I think the base of the cleaner housing needs to be notched for the AFR adjustment screw.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:04 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senna21
Well, Toyota used a two-way recirculating blow off valve on (my) MR2 and I was wondering if this was the same. Another individual on the MR2 board has since said that it is. He also is positive the Porsche valve works this way. Can anyone confirm?

Here's the way it works. As we all know a BOV opens when you come off of the throttle to prevent damage to the impeller from pressure spikes. Well, because the AFM on the MR2 has already metered the air going by it to the turbo if they were to have used a BOV dumping to the atmosphere it would result in a rich air/fuel ratio because you'd be eliminating air from the intake charge. So, Toyota put a recirculating hose that puts the air back in front of the turbo. This maintains the proper A/F ratio and also allows the turbo to spool up just a bit faster when you get back on the gas because it doesn't have to work harder to pull in more air. It's all right there. That's function number one, air going one-way, recirculating.

The second-way is by-passing. The valve also opens under vacuum allowing some of the air to bypass the turbocharger. Why? Well under vacuum the engine has to pull air over/through the impeller blades. This also is a cause of tubo lag. The smart little Toyota engineers figured that if they could get some of the air flow by the turbo the engine would rev faster, produce more exhaust gas faster, there by making the turbo boost faster.

Then when the intake system from the turbo through the intercooler to the intake manifold moves from vacuum to boost the valve closes allowing the car to come on power.

"The large round area at the top is a diaphragm. The area on the top of the diaphragm is larger than the area under the diaphragm. Now note there is hose directly from the manifold to the top (large area) of the diaphragm, and another hose tee's off that goes through a check valve to the underside (small area) of the diaphragm. When there is pressure (boost) in the manifold, there is equal pressure on both sides of the diaphragm, but since force=pressureXarea, the greater force on the top holds the valve closed. In fact, the higher the boost, the more tightly the valve is held closed.

Now as soon as you lift, and pressure starts to drop in the manifold, air immediately escapes from the top of the diaphragm, but the "check valve "restricts it from escaping on the bottom, and the pressure on the bottom quickly exceeds the pressure on the top, and the valve snaps open. If you reverse or eliminate the “check valve” (VTV) then you can't trap pressure under the diaphragm, and the valve cannot respond as quickly.

The diaphragm section of the valve is connected to a spool in the main section of the valve. That spool opens and closes the connection between the crossover pipe and the intake air pipe. When the diaphragm is pushed (or pulled) to the top, the valve is open, and when it is pushed to the bottom, it is held closed.

There is just a light spring on the spool in the main body. Its only function is to return the valve to its normally closed condition when the engine is not running. "
Here: http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechani...rger_system.htm

Go to Turbocharger and scroll down to the bottom of page TC-13 and the top of TC-14.

Also see the attached pic and annotations.
Stephen, what's your view of this two way BOV, does it work ?
Does the 965 one do this ?
Will it work on a 930 if the 965 one isn't two way (can it be fitted) ?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 PM
senna21
Racer

As a note this is currently being discussed on the MR2 site. Many people don't believe it'll open at cruise.

One individual did say he had an article on the Porsche BOV and it specifically stated that it did. I suspect the Toyota guys probably pulled their design from the Porsche piece. I'll see if I can get the article.

Stephen, as I highly respect your 12 cylinder (flat 12 of course) brain, what is your take on it?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

Pardon the temporary hijacking of your thread, I'll breifly answer the questions posed.
I've been a Rennlist member sense 2001 and a Pelican member before that. I only had time for one BBS and Pelican was more active. Pelican has become less technical these days while Rennlist has become a real 930 tech powerhouse. That's why we're here.

The air breather on my engine is my own "invention" HA! You can "build" one yourself in one hour with $20. It started out as an easy way to tune my car without removing the intercooler and air cleaner assembly every time I needed to adjust the mixture (my car is a '78SC, the engine bay has less room up top). I liked the end result so much I left it on.
The air filter is CP Auto Products part #25108 with dimensions of 6 3/8" diameter by 2 1/2" tall. The lid is 1/8" aluminum scrap, there is no base - the filter fits perfectly on the air meter housing. That's it.
THERE IS NO NOTICABLE POWER ADVANTAGE and none was intended. It does sound really really really cool. A swoooooshhhh sound every time you open the air metering plate.
No power lost, cool sound, did not cost $300, easy access to the engine. It's all good.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to have you here.

I have an round Edlebrock air filter I was going to adapt for mine, but never got around to it. It was like $25.

Sure beats the $300-400 billet units.

Originally Posted by RarlyL8
Pardon the temporary hijacking of your thread, I'll breifly answer the questions posed.
I've been a Rennlist member sense 2001 and a Pelican member before that. I only had time for one BBS and Pelican was more active. Pelican has become less technical these days while Rennlist has become a real 930 tech powerhouse. That's why we're here.

The air breather on my engine is my own "invention" HA! You can "build" one yourself in one hour with $20. It started out as an easy way to tune my car without removing the intercooler and air cleaner assembly every time I needed to adjust the mixture (my car is a '78SC, the engine bay has less room up top). I liked the end result so much I left it on.
The air filter is CP Auto Products part #25108 with dimensions of 6 3/8" diameter by 2 1/2" tall. The lid is 1/8" aluminum scrap, there is no base - the filter fits perfectly on the air meter housing. That's it.
THERE IS NO NOTICABLE POWER ADVANTAGE and none was intended. It does sound really really really cool. A swoooooshhhh sound every time you open the air metering plate.
No power lost, cool sound, did not cost $300, easy access to the engine. It's all good.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Well, Toyota used a two-way recirculating blow off valve on (my) MR2 and I was wondering if this was the same. Another individual on the MR2 board has since said that it is. He also is positive the Porsche valve works this way. Can anyone confirm?
The factory bypass thats on the 930 works this way. The bypass is always open anytime vacuum is present and its strong enough to overcome the spring tension behind the piston in the bypass housing assembly. As soon as vacuum starts diminishing the spring loaded piston starts working against the vacuum and begins to close the bypass passage. (remember, vacuum is the force that is used against the spring to open the bypass passage and let air recirculate back in front of the turbo). When boost comes on it aids the spring/piston to close off the passage and keep it closed. As soon as the motor is off boost, the revs are usually high and as a result, the vacuum is very high which will quickly overcome the spring loaded piston and open the passage to let air bypass again.

This bypass unit is big, heavy and definetly outdated, but it does work. However it is part of the reason for the poor throttle response. The 965 system is better. I had the 965 system on my 77 930 and removed it completely. I dont run any kind of a bypass or BOV. I'm not in anyway advocating you do the same because of the damage that can happen to the turbo and possibly other components along the intake tract (so they say). I've been running mine that way for 3 years now with no problems (at least that I'm aware of anyway). Its a gamble I take on my own. But the throttle response is so greatly improved. It probably has to do a lot with why the motor comes on power hard too as Stephen noted when he dynoed it.

Last edited by Chet 930; 03-15-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:40 PM
diabolos88
Racer

I have a B&B intercooler as well. It is a short neck made to be a stock replacement. You can use the 965 style BOV if you mod the stock BOV housing or fab a replacement peice.
Does anyone know if the Andial IC is a short neck OEM replacement?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:45 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

Do you have the Andial unit? If so, look at the opening that mates to the throttle body. Measure the length of the neck from the bottom of the intercooler to the end of the flange that connects to the throttle body. A long neck cooler will have about a 2" or so (equal to the thickness of the BOV housing) longer tube than a stock unit.
If you don't have the Andial unit ask the owner to measure this distance for you (assuming he does not know what type it is).
Old 04-03-2006, 01:43 AM
diabolos88
Racer

yes, I have the Andial unit. The car came with it when I bought it 2 months ago.
I will go out and measure this in a little bit.
thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 AM
diabolos88
Racer

Do you have the Andial unit? If so, look at the opening that mates to the throttle body. Measure the length of the neck from the bottom of the intercooler to the end of the flange that connects to the throttle body. A long neck cooler will have about a 2" or so (equal to the thickness of the BOV housing) longer tube than a stock unit.
If you don't have the Andial unit ask the owner to measure this distance for you (assuming he does not know what type it is).
ok, I assume you are talking about the left side of the IC, the downward tubing measures about 3.7" in length to the end of the flange.

what is the stock length?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I would think that RarlyL8 is referring to the side that goes into the throttle body (the right hand side when viewed from the rear of the car).

See how much longer the right hand side connection is.

This is what gets removed, the recirculation assembly (the large brown thing), rather heavy.

Last edited by nathanUK '81 930 G50; 04-04-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:18 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

A picture's worth a thousand words.

Sure get rid of a lot of junk don't you.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 AM
diabolos88
Racer

Im sold getting rid of my Andial for a new Kokelyn.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

A picture's worth a thousand words.

Sure get rid of a lot of junk don't you.
Yep, it's quite amazing. Although the boost sensor (with red cap) will go back on and a few bolts there, the rest will just be cardboard boxed.

Last edited by nathanUK '81 930 G50; 04-05-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

RarlyL8, here is my CIS removed.

Quick Reply: 965 Style Blow Off Valve