911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

A/C Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Westbound
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Rebuild?

87' 930...................Any such thing as a A/C Rebuild Kit and if so, where might I purchase the kit? My A/C is working better than average as far as cool air output but all of a sudden this morning the compressor unit is making a bunch of noise at any and all rpm. It is not a bad belt and the belt tension is correct. Thanks!

Greg
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The A/C clutch might be failing or your compressor nose bearing is out.. I don't know of anyone that rebuilds the Sanyo pumps..
Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yeah if you go to Pelican Parts they have most anything you need up to and including complete conversion kits.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some links for you:
http://retroair.com/
http://griffiths.com/
http://www.scottsind.com/Navigation/...aftacframe.htm
http://www.rennaire.com/
I'm planning on going with rennair (the last link I attached). Griffiths is good, but hella $$$$. Hope this helps...
Old 03-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in the reassembly phase of the Retroair kit right now. Your compressor is probably the same as my '89, a Nippondenso. Mine is fine so my project consists of replacing the hoses, rear condenser, evaporator and drier with latest-tech parts. For example the tube and fin rear condenser is being replaced with a multi-flow condenser with much higher capacity, the evaporator (again tube and fin) with a serpentine unit. My system had previously been converted to R134a. When charged, it worked OK but performance deteriorated within a month or two.

I've been working on this for a couple of months now, a little at a time, being careful and giving everything a good cleaning as I go. I'm happy with the quality of the Retroair products. I'm hoping this will work very well when completed.

Regarding your compressor, the links sandman provided offer replacement compressors so for that you should be in good shape.

Good luck,
Old 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I was hoping to have my 930 running during the winter so I could put of A/C for a few months. Well that's not happening so now I've got to plan for A/C while finishing the EFI. I'm leaning towards the underbody condenser since my intercooler has taken up the rear spoiler and I like the idea of shorter hoses by removing the front condenser. I was worried about damage, but I hear the underbody is cheaper than the fender mounted one so you could afford to replace it. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I was hoping to have my 930 running during the winter so I could put of A/C for a few months. Well that's not happening so now I've got to plan for A/C while finishing the EFI. I'm leaning towards the underbody condenser since my intercooler has taken up the rear spoiler and I like the idea of shorter hoses by removing the front condenser. I was worried about damage, but I hear the underbody is cheaper than the fender mounted one so you could afford to replace it. Anyone have experience with these?
That's what Jack Olsen is running on his. I'm thinking of doing the same. However, I'm gonna try to keep the A/C out of my car all togther! We'll see...
Old 03-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Westbound
5th Gear

Thanks to all for your assistance, greatly appreciated.

Greg
Old 03-15-2006, 09:40 PM
senna21
Racer

I just noticed something that I've been wondering about... Why isn't anyone running a SPAL fan on their A/C? What I noticed is Sameer used to run one on his RUF. Upper right corner of the pic. Sameer did this work well?

Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 87 930 and took out the AC. The compressor is available if you're interested. Has about 37K miles on it. Email me and make an offer: PorscheTT@gmail.com
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by senna21
I just noticed something that I've been wondering about... Why isn't anyone running a SPAL fan on their A/C? What I noticed is Sameer used to run one on his RUF. Upper right corner of the pic. Sameer did this work well?
I plan to add a fan to my upgrade nearing completion, haven't chosen it yet. I'll see how it works without first. If it's good, I'll do without.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

A a while back I had my entire a/c replaced from Performance Air. The retro fit included all new hoses, an rotary compressor, new dryer, new condensers front and rear (with a fan in the decklid) a bulkhead vent, and new center dash vent. I recently replaced the thermostat and fan switch. Here in So Cal, we need the a/c to work often and properly. Blows cold like you can't imagine even without the big underbody or rear fender condensers. Make sure all of your components are replaced. Clogged condensers or evaporators, seeping hoses just bog down the system. I didn't want to clutter up the car with anything I really didn't need. Good luck
Old 03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Stevie,
What was the cost?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Dknebes,
It was a couple of years back and if I remember correctly, I paid around $1,200-$1400 for the complete makeover. I still have the paperwork in a my file at home. Some of the best money I have spent on the car. Check their site, the link is in this tread. Here it is again... http://www.scottsind.com/Navigation/...aftacframe.htm
drive cool and comfortably....
Old 03-17-2006, 07:55 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I added a 9 inch fan to my rear condenser and ran the power feed into the compressor clutch wire. Now when the A/C is on, so is the fan. I got the fan from JC Whitney. They have several sizes but the 9 inch fits perfectly. It is installed with four black plastic pins that go through the condensor from the top side and then you simply slide on the oneway washers and snip off the rest of the pin. It really helps in traffic but not much dif on the highway.
Rudy
Erin Gobragh! Happy Paddy's day

Last edited by 911rudy; 03-17-2006 at 08:02 PM. Reason: left out something

Quick Reply: A/C Rebuild?