911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 EFI Done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 930 EFI Done!

At long last, I've nearly completed my 930 EFI project. The engine is in the car and I managed to get it running yesterday, though it's not running well enough to drive it yet. It's been quite an adventure. I don't have time to tell the whole story right now, but I'll post the details someday. The engine is coming out for dyno tuning next weekend, which is the next hurdle. Here are a couple of photos.

Here are some of the basic specs:

78 930 engine
3.4 Mahle, twin plug, 7.33:1
Very extensive head work
GT2 Evo cams
Holcombe headers
Carrera intake
Garrett T66 turbo (built by Kevin)
DTA ECU
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2006, 04:48 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GADZOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Bruce M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go, Rob! Although I don't know how "near" the completion is if it ain't running well enough to drive yet . For reasons we've discussed, it took many, many moons for me to go from this point to driving well.

But what the heck. I'm sure you'll be more on top of things with the DTA than I was with Motec.

Now, explain that turbo choice, please. Did Kevin recommend it over his own HFS2? If so, why?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Rob S
Pro

Hi Bruce,

Regarding the tuning, it will be "done" by March 5, with any luck. But "done" is really a matter of judgement. I have no illusions that even after extensive dyno tuning, it will ever really be done. Some of the longer range and more annoying issues related to idle, cold start, and tip-in may take a while to deal with. And I'll be the tuner to handle those issues. So, in reality, it's never really done, is it?

The turbo choice was largely driven by those beautiful headers that I bought -- from you! So, you're to blame As you know, they came with a Garrett-type flange and I had no interest in slicing them up to accommodate the KKK style flange. So Garrett it is; that's fine with me. And it should be a stormer.

Really, those headers were the whole reason I got caught up in this whole EFI death spiral thing. With them, and with the first Garrett turbo I got for them, it pushed my CIS engine over the top in terms of airflow. The CIS couldn't keep up. So I ditched it and, after much work, here we are. Not only that, but the new HFS2 wasn't even a twinkle in Kevin's eye when I got the Garrett. Two and a half years is a long time...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Bruce M.
Instructor

Oh, that's right. I forgot about the flange.

Two and one-half years, though, is about two and one-half weeks in the mysterious parallel universe that is 930 mods....
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the milestone Rob. May your garage floor be a spotless one...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice!!!

I sure hope to have a post like this one day, 19 months and counting.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

Looks awesome Rob! I know you are feeling great now! I did not know you were this far along since we havent spoken in a few months. Who did the intercooler?

Eric Hood
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
klein90
Advanced

Dam that looks nice!! Love the intercooler
Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Rob S
Pro

Yeah, about 4 weeks with an average of 3 hours per night of sleep is all it took! The IC was made by Joe Essa or one of his associates. I bought it from a local friend who was switching to a twin turbo setup. Rumor has it that Marco Manzie worked for Essa at the time and this may have been his. Marco, you out there? Did you make this thing?

It is a pretty big unit, but with the camera angle it looks even bigger than it is. Sort of the same technique as they use for **** shots, I think.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

What size core is that 4 inch or bigger? It looks like Marcos endtanks. He could tell you if he did it. I will send you some pics of my cooler soon. Marco did some pretty trick things inside the end tanks on mine. Once again looks great Rob!

Eric Hood
Old 02-23-2006, 09:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob S
Yeah, about 4 weeks with an average of 3 hours per night of sleep is all it took! The IC was made by Joe Essa or one of his associates. I bought it from a local friend who was switching to a twin turbo setup. Rumor has it that Marco Manzie worked for Essa at the time and this may have been his. Marco, you out there? Did you make this thing?

It is a pretty big unit, but with the camera angle it looks even bigger than it is. Sort of the same technique as they use for **** shots, I think.
Hello Rob,

For dyno time are you using Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport ? THat does look like one of marco's I/C , they are currently done a bit different .
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Rob S
Pro

A. Wayne,

No, I'm going to Dave Capurro at C&C Fuel Injection in Reno. I'm sure Jeff and his crew could do it too, but I'm going to Dave for a number of reasons: He has personally been tuning EFI for many years (dozens of different types of ECUs), he's particularly fond of the DTA and knows it inside out, has an engine dyno and knows how to use it, knows air cooled Porsche turbos, and I bought the ECU and harness from him. So because of his vast experience with this process and this ECU, I'm driving all the way to Reno.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Good luck in Reno.. Nice to see it running..
Old 02-23-2006, 11:08 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Well it is about time Rob

Nice job and I like how you blame it all on Bruce M.

Dean

Quick Reply: 930 EFI Done!