Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 for sale on ebay at too low a price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:25 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 for sale on ebay at too low a price?

Anyone got any idea about this car? I must be missing something. I could see him selling with no reserve and taking his chance but the buy it now is ridiculous. Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1
Old 02-20-2006, 11:45 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of these $6k-$12k Porsches and Ferraris are rediculous. Of course it is not true. The wheelset on the car is $4k. Email the seller and ask where you can inspect the car in person before bidding or where where locally you can get a PPI. You will either get no reply, or some BS about the car being a client's from Europe.
Unfortunuately, it will be really scary when the scammers decide to "sell" cars for about 25% less than value. Imagine if this car had a $22k start, and a $26k buy it now. Then someone would fall for it and probaly send a deposit at auction close without being suspecious.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:56 AM
87turbo
Intermediate

I live near Lancaster where the car is located. I e-mailed the seller about inspecting the car. If he agrees, any particular questions, info, pictures you all would be interested in obtaining while I'm looking at his car?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 AM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Doug - I guess that is what makes sense. I saw the wheels myself and knew they were almost worth the asking price. I emailed him too and asked for him to confirm his buy it now price. I have not heard from him. There are three turbo cars for sale on ebay right now at ridiculous prices.

87turbo - Thanks for the offer to inspect. I would be interested in knowing if you get to see the car and what you find.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

There is no "Buy it Now" price listed. He just says 6000$$$- what the hell does that mean? He's just playing a semantics game- one could also interpret the number as $60,000.00 since there are no commas in the number.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Emailed a few questions, but I am sure I will get a BS answer or none at all. However, I also noticed this when it went to the question form:
"The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below."
Typical scammer from another country. I am sure this is a past auction that went through EBAY in the past few months and the seller saved it for a later date. If anyone gets a reply from him/her, I bet it will be from an AOL address.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:35 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Bad thing is all of you guys who replied have now confirmed to the scammer a valid email address. Bet you start seeing a whole bunch of ridiculous offers and other spam soon. Best thing to do is just ignore them.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Its a scam if you look all over ebay motors there are dozens of these listings.. and eBay knows it. The account is a hijacked account the phony seller who is the hijacker will ask you to send a deposit via ebay ( which you cant do ) he's phishing for your personal info. The email you get back will read like this..

"If you are interested in buying, the price is 3,000.00 US Dollars.
The bike will be shipped from Canada, where I am currently located, on my expense, and delivered to your home in no more than 5 days since payment will be confirmed.
It is still US registered so there will be no custom taxes to pay.

The transaction will be done through Ebay for our own protection, no money first to me. I am registered with their Safe Department and they will handle the trade. Your funds will be 100% insured by Ebay until you will receive and inspect the item, and I will be sure that I will receive the payment.
You will have 5 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

If you wish to proceed, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Ebay.They will contact you right after, with all the instructions to follow."

ITS A TOTAL SCAM
Ebay does not stop this becasue they take the listing fee from the poor guy who had his account hijacked and when he finds out and complains they issue a ebay credit they dont refund the cash. Ebay knows these cars and bikes dont go for the prices advertised and according to ebay you're not even allowed to offer a buy it now without useing their buy it now feature.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Look at the Harley Davidson's for sale section at any time there are 2 to 10 of the listings at the top of the page for bikes at about 1/4er of their market value.. same scam
Old 02-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Chet 930
Racer

It starts off with the $100 reserve price and then as it gets close to the end, if the price is not where he wants it......the auction gets withdrawn and listed as "item no longer for sale". Just a way to get people to bid and hopefully bid out each other to the point where he meets or exceeds his reserve. See it all the time. The $6000 deal there is no doubt an error or scam. Ebay's response will no doubt be "buyer beware what you are buying". This is exactly why I wont buy cars from ebay even if they are close to where I live. Theres nothing like the good old fashion way of looking,touching and feeling what you want before you give up the cash.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Another annoying type of auction are the "no reserve" auctions, but the starting price is as high as a reserve.

Such as:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18x8-...39519370QQrdZ1
Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I never quite understood the no reserve thing. To me no reserve means "NO RESERVE". Nothing, nada, zero. Yet you see a dollar amount to start with. Isnt the starting price the reserve? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Ed930
Intermediate

I've bought cars through E-bay, and I've always spoken to the seller more than once over the phone to get a feel of who I'm dealing with. Never e-mail a seller outside of E-bay ("my ask a seller a question is not working at the moment, please e-mail me at: fast_man3343@yahoo.com"), it's a scam.

One last thing, E-bay has some interesting cars and other stuff, but there are no miracle deals. Remember, there are millions of people watching the bid (and some getting ripped). Don't let this steer you away from the good stuff on E-bay, Just be plain smart.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Chet 930
Racer

I've bought Porsche parts and have had great success with that but I just dont feel comfortable with the car stuff or big dollar items to be exact.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:34 AM
87turbo
Intermediate

It's gone! The car is no longer listed on e-Bay. You guys must be right, it was a scam and now they have my ID.

Dave

Quick Reply: 930 for sale on ebay at too low a price?