Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Coilovers vs. Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a cost benifit thing. From what i have been told by suspension guys in my area that coilsovers don't offer any advantage to the bars unless you are exceeding a certain amount of spring rate. Meaning for most street driven/ light track use cars there in no real advantage except for adjustability and maybe a little ride. Sure coilover can be made to handle better but the car will ride real stiff, and when brought down to street driveable the cost of them is more then I would want to spend. Just really ask yourself how much ride are you willing to give up and how much money you want to spend.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't really true. What are the benefits? The ride is not compromised. Valving and rebound is better than T-bars without the stiffness. A coilover car is mature in stance and roll, but not harsh unless you are running silly valving and spring rates. Adjustability is far easier than with Torsion bars. I can index and corner in less than half of a Tbar car. Don’t like the springs, fine yank all of them in change them out in an hour. Can’t do that with torsions. Not to mention you want to go lower? What about bump stop. Did you know you can get the spindles repositioned to accommodate the drop without using a bump stop kit?

There are a lot of benefits. If there were not I would not have them in my wife's car. The ride quality even in the targa is better than T bars by far. It comes down to those that have driven a coilover car and those that have not. It is like try to explain the smell of Turkey dinner yet never actually done so. Can't do it.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:37 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Doc!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am looking at this wrong. I see no advantage to change to coil overs with my set up. Its a waste of money to spend +$2200 for coil overs when my set up works. This is considering I have already spent $1300 on the torsion bar set up - its not stock. I imagine that I would look closer at the coil overs if I were starting from a stock set up. I DE the car 3 - 4 times per year at three completely different tracks and have only messed with the sway bars - and have been completely satisfied. On the other hand, I have not driven a similar 930 with coil overs so I have nothing to compare. But the tone of this thread is that torsion bars are a waste of time/money and coil overs are the only way to go. Tell that to the numberous 964's and 993's (not to mention the 4WD cars) I have passed at the entrance and exits of turns, with a torsion bar, 4sp turbo car.

For the record, I completely agree coil overs are better than torsion, but torsion cars are still pretty good for the money.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DonE
Maybe I am looking at this wrong.
Yes you are. I don't think anyone is saying pull your setup out and make the change. What is being said is if you are taking a stock setup and moving to a different setup for performance consider the options. Coil Overs are one of them. Dollar for dollar it is a better spend for your money. Each setup should be looked at individually, which has been said a couple of times. Would make since to change your current setup.

BTW, 933TT uses Monroe’s!! I would hope you could leave one in the turns Try picking on someone your own size
Old 02-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Comparing my 996TT with the JIC coilover set up versus my 930 with the upgraded torsion bars, bushings etc...my 930 doesnt come close. My 930 is lighter in weight too.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:04 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

UUMM... I wonder why the 996tt feels boring, uh better, is because of the huge space in time and technology form 930 t0 996. I did not intend to sound like a facetious jerk but that was a really absurd comparison. Apart from Stephen does anyone have real experience with both setups?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have installed, tuned and raced with coilovers in older chassis be they 911 or 930s. The ride is smoother, setup is easier, and tuning time is far less with coilovers. Can you setup a car with torsion bars and have it perform? Yes. People have been doing it for years. Can newer systems be retrofitted to cars that can take advantage of them? Sure. Not too much development these days is going into torsion bar setups, or the dampeners that go along with them (integral part of the system). Take a look at a modern set of Motons / Ohlins and you will see that even basic shock dampening has come a LONG way recently. So this new technology is available to more than just the 964 and later cars.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:09 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Try picking on someone your own size
....coming from a guy with a car with a gazzillion hp. Actually, I can't wait to get to the track with the new EFI set-up and new-found HP.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:24 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by schnele
UUMM... I wonder why the 996tt feels boring, uh better, is because of the huge space in time and technology form 930 t0 996...but that was a really absurd comparison.
True, as you are also comparing multi-link vs. sem-trailing arm and two totally different chassis.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Chet 930
Racer

"Tell that to the numberous 964's and 993's (not to mention the 4WD car) I have passed at the entrance and exits of turns, with a torsion bar, 4sp turbo car."

"UUMM... I wonder why the 996tt feels boring, uh better, is because of the huge space in time and technology form 930 t0 996. I did not intend to sound like a facetious jerk but that was a really absurd comparison. Apart from Stephen does anyone have real experience with both setups?"

UUUUUMMMMMM............you think?????? No kidding!.......thats exactly my point. Even the 964 is technologically advanced over the 930 suspension wise. But what does that say above or am I misinterpreting his statement????????? I dont think I am.....

Last edited by Chet 930; 02-24-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Apologies Chet...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Apology accepted but not needed. Its no big deal.....I was giggling to myself when I read the post. Cheers buddy!!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DonE
....coming from a guy with a car with a gazzillion hp.
LOL, my car is stock. What are you talking abo9ut
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sort of confused by this thread. There are people here that spend gazillions of dollars upgrading their engines, but think $2200 is too much?

I think Stephen listed most if not all the advantages - that's pretty good bang for the buck if you want a better handling and easier to tune car.

Quick Reply: Coilovers vs. Torsion Bars