911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

turbo opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:56 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo opinions

Hello, I have read many threads on this forum but this is my first post. I would like to get your opinions on some turbos. I own a Porsche repair shop in OKC. I have rebuilt many 930's and have mostly used Kokeln turbos on them. I am currently finishing up an 86' 930 with the following mods. Heads were twin plugged.ported and the guides replaced. 964 cams, Elgin racing springs, intake enlarged to 38mm, Koklen IC, Andial fuel enrichment, Electromotive ignition. Raceware hardware.B&B headers and muffler. Mahle 3.4l P&C 7.5/1cr. I like the Kokeln turbo. It seems to spool quick and pull hard but I have noticed many of you like the K27's that Imagineauto are selling. Have any of you used the Kokeln and the K27's? can you give me some pros and cons of each? Any response is appreciated and I look forward to many discussions in the future.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

I have the Kokeln and the K27. It is a good combination.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:46 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he was asking about the Kokeln turbo, not the IC.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Yes, the Kokeln turbo... sorry for the cunfusion.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

A friend had the Kokeln turbo and liked it, but I never thought it delivered what my k27 did. But that is completely non-scientific seat of the pants kinda evaluation. Way too many variables to put much weight in.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I have had both on my 3.6 Turbo. My opinion of the Kokeln is dated by three years, but needless to say it only stayed on the car for a few thousand miles. In my opinion, it had more lag, a great mid-section, and then ran out of steam a bit early. I can't say enough about the K-27 HF from Kevin/ImagineAuto. The lag was reduced to the point that she almost feels like a very strong NA car. The dyno shows her pulling all the way to 6k. My car is pretty well built (all at ImagineAuto), but still runs CIS (for the next few days (big smile)). I plan to replace the k27HF with the HF2 with the move to EFI, twin plug etc... My car is just under 400RWHP, and just over 410 of tourque, and the HF has no problem keeping up.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:10 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

With the setup you have it sounds like the K27HF would be the way to go. I've put a K27HF2 on my car with EFI but I'm still not finished with the project so I can't comment on how it works.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 332 Likes on 223 Posts

We will have to wait a little bit for David to finish his saga.. The HF will use every drop of fuel available.. The HF provide very smooth progressive boost/power all the way through the power band..
Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I cannot comment on the comparsion between the kokeln and the k27H , but KKK's are a bit dated in their designs and operation. I would recommend you take a look at the new Garretts, for your combination i would recommend THe GT35R, would be a hell of an improvement at every level over the current KKK's you are playing with.
We have had great results with both drivabilty and power output, just about great all around performance.

www.tpgproducts.com
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually there is very little that represents a KKK turbo in our turbos. It is not fair to compare it against any of the old technology since the technology we use wheel wise is about as new as you can get.

They are light years beyond anything that has been out before. The nice thing about what we have is reliability and longevity is no different than the typical dated turbo. Performance is just a whole lot better
Old 02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wayne where is your 930 with the GT35R.. A CIS engine with 964 cams, B & B headers, and 98mm Mahles... Post your AFR's, with the CIS.. Kokeln uses Garrett cartridges.. The Hyflow uses the highest efficient compressor wheel that is avavilable in it's size..
Old 02-12-2006, 01:19 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Actually there is very little that represents a KKK turbo in our turbos. It is not fair to compare it against any of the old technology since the technology we use wheel wise is about as new as you can get.

They are light years beyond anything that has been out before. The nice thing about what we have is reliability and longevity is no different than the typical dated turbo. Performance is just a whole lot better
Hello Stephen,

As i had said before i was not able to compare your k27H , as i have never seen it before , i don't doubt that it performs the way you have stated , i 'm just not able to confirm it , But i still stand behind my statement on the garrett stuff. The GTR series of garretts are some of the best turbos that we have used period, wiith the GT35R as being the best for all round performance at the power levels being discussed, Just another option to look at , the K27H or the the garrett GT35R, we have also found the Greedy Turbo's to be excellent stuff.

Kevin ,
No we do not do CIS cars . We convert all to EFI, but would love to see your 930 with CIS , a K27H and 964 cams , B&B etc. Post your dyno graph showing A/F and HP/TQ.

www.tpgproducts.com
Old 02-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wayne with your signature below your reply, are you selling EFI kits and turbochargers??
Old 02-12-2006, 12:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Wayne where is your 930 with the GT35R.. A CIS engine with 964 cams, B & B headers, and 98mm Mahles... Post your AFR's, with the CIS.. Kokeln uses Garrett cartridges.. The Hyflow uses the highest efficient compressor wheel that is avavilable in it's size..
Would love to see your dyno graph on a 930 with cis and k27H kevin!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry it has taken me this long to respond. It doesn't sound like too many of you have run the Kokeln turbo but seem to be extremely happy with the turbos you are using. I am interested in the Garrett GT35R series and will do some research. I will be putting this car on the dyno with the Kokeln on it and post the dyno sheet. This will be a few weeks away though. I am interested in seeing any dyno sheets on cars that have a similar set up once I post the sheet for the current car I am working on. Thanks again for your replies

Quick Reply: turbo opinions