911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Slantnose Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 03:10 PM
GTR John
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slantnose Owners!

How do I identify a real Slantnose as opposed to one that has had the conversion done?

Thanx
Old 12-23-2005, 03:28 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

For 1987-1989 versions look for the following......M505 is the code for US version.......M506 is the code for the ROW version.

This code will be displayed on the build sticker under the "options section". This sticker is located in the front of the service book and/or under the hood by the latch.

1981-1986 factory cars will not have this code displayed on the sticker.

The best way to tell them apart therefore is that the factory cars will have a single headlight motor with rods reaching out to and operating both headlights. This motor is situated in the center of the front trunk. Conversions will have individual motors attached to each headlight. Additionally, aftermarket cars will not usually have the black rubber jackpoint covers in the boxed rockers panels.

Here's a great site for more info.

http://www.930s.com/turbo.htm

Having said all that.........a properly done aftermarket conversion using the OEM or aftermarket "steel" parts (and there are a few out there) is just as desireable to me as an original car if it is done correctly and looks like the original car save for the headlight assembly. Fiberglass conversions (IMHO) are to be stayed away from.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:55 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I kind of like my '82 DP conversion, kevlar/fibreglass and all.

Last edited by jgrant; 04-16-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YYC930
Having said all that.........a properly done aftermarket conversion using the OEM or aftermarket "steel" parts (and there are a few out there) is just as desireable to me as an original car if it is done correctly and looks like the original car save for the headlight assembly. Fiberglass conversions (IMHO) are to be stayed away from.

.....but not as "collectable" as the factory Special Wishes vehicles. Prices should reflect $10K-20K difference between aftermarket conversions and factory builds. Still, if you are wanting for the "look" and not intrinsic value, conversions, if done properly like YYC930 says, may be a good value.

Dave
'85 Factory Slantnose 930
Old 12-23-2005, 08:04 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Jeff......

DP.......their work.....like that of Kremer and B+B was first class and expensive..............I should have stated that fiberglass slantnose cars are usually the cheapest and poorest quality conversions......but with also mentioning the quality work done by DP and others.........most of the glass stuff was done as cheaply as possible to copy the factory cars and passed off at the highest prices obtainable........whereas DP and others built to order and no expense was spared on the quality side.

No offence meant to your car.

Last edited by YYC930; 12-23-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:33 PM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

DP are one of the leading reasons behind the factory making slant nose cars in the first place. Porsche saw how well DP-Kremer cars were selling and starting building them. Even Ruf had a few slantnose care before Porsche did. The first DP's I remember seeing were the 2 black cars that Rod Steward had.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:08 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Oh heh... no offense was taken! After all, my car was done in '82, WAY before the factory option was even available. DP was one of the reasons that the factory even offered the conversion.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:56 AM
GTR John
Advanced

I have an 87 Turbo Slantnose Cabriolet.

It needs some work and currently, only one head light pops up. That kinda makes me think that it might be a conversion and not the real thing.

So, I gues the Slantnose is ONLY an aesthetic change?

No difference in performance or options of any sort?

I'm goign to check to se if it's authentic.

Very insightfull stuff. Great site.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:16 AM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

GTR John, check the front center of under the front hood for a black motor for the headlights and you will also see goldish cad plated rods running along the inside to each headlight if they are factory parts. Thats a good start anyway. Another fast thing to look at is an oil cooler behind the passenger side rear brake duct. Aftermarket cars generally have nothing at all there except 3 vents and nothing behind them.

If the original hood sticker is on the car you can look if it says M505 on the underside of the front hood.

Good luck on what you find.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:12 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love those Kremer's and DP's!!!

Also, the M505, M506 stickers will only be present on the 87-89 Model year cars. The oil cooler mounted in the passenger side vent will only be present for those model years as well. The Special Wishes Slants starting in '81, had the option of a front mounted oil cooler in the chin spoiler. The Feds put the nix on that idea in '87, due to the growing concerns with front end collisions.

Dave
'85 Factory Slantnose 930
Old 12-25-2005, 02:01 AM
GTR John
Advanced

Well, I gott some bad news.....I can't find the sticker underneath the hood.

And i have some good news, the Oil cooler is in the vent behind the passenger.

I checked underneath the hood, but it was a quick check, but i couldn't find headlight motors.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:04 AM
GTR John
Advanced

I also have 5 star DP wheels on the car. Came with them.

Maybe I shoudl just take a pic of the car and post it. Any good image hosting sites recommended?
Old 12-25-2005, 03:12 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Just attach the pic to this thread.

$0.02
Old 12-25-2005, 12:50 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Lots of good conversions had the oil cooler in the rear vents....I owned one that did.....but when you looked at the construction of the oil lines with the car on a hoist, it was apparent that it was not OEM work.

If you have a 1987 car without the centre headlight motor and actuating rods it's an aftermarket conversion....there's no doubt about that. So you can consider this issue settled.

That in itself is not a bad thing however......but you should be concerned that the sticker is not under the hood........to me this usually indicates that the car has a replacement hood installed due to the original being damaged, either due to something minor, or even a more serious accident. These stickers are installed at the factory on all cars during the final check before delivery to the various importers. Nowadays they are installed at the port of entry by the importers before delivery to the dealers. Many a slantnose conversion started out due to the original car having been hit hard.........did you do an ICBC declaration check and a CARPROOF/CARFAX report before you bought the car or have it inspected for this type of damage ?

Last edited by YYC930; 12-25-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:24 PM
GTR John
Advanced

I actually haven't bought the car yet. I'm still debating on wether to buy it or not.

The car needs ALOT of work. it's pretty much a beater. My old man owns a car performance shop out here in BC and I'm a car broker for high end cars. So, you'll have to forgive me if I don't sound like a mechanical genius. lol

I' mstill deciding wether the car is worth buying or not. Basically, the guy that is selling it want's $12 G's CDN. It has 63,000 Miles. U.S car.

It as some rust. Runs ****ty. and the top won't even close properly. The thing needs work. I haven't driven it on the street yet and I'm waiting for it to stop raining for at least 2 days to drive it and feel everything wrong with it.

Right now, I wanna concentrate on figuring out if it's a real slantnose first due to the value difference.

Can anyone please post a pic of the headlight motor in the centre of the trunk so I know exactly what I'm looking for. Thanx.

Quick Reply: Slantnose Owners!