Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Let's talk about the rear center refelector

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen one car here in California with the lights in the center reflector. The gentlemen who owned it got the parts from germany to make it work. Apparently it was the update to delete the little red foglight that used to hang under the bumper and was designed to work with the fog lights. When they are on they are bright like the brake lamps. The picture of the Grey RUF in the pelican link actually belongs to another gentleman I know here in the Central Valley. I remember looking at the back end and the center reflector up close. It really just looked like a nicely painted version of the stock piece.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:29 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldangelo
I have some experience molding parts with carbon fiber and fiberglass (dash, door panels, fan shroud, etc...). I've been contemplating molding the rear panel out of carbon fiber with red plastic "PORCHE" lights.

I will keep you all posted when I get to this... Right now I'm putting a new center tunnel and center console in my 930 (made out of aluminum and carbon fiber).

-LeoD
That would be great! I think there's a demmand for this. Me personally, I prefer the look of the yellow Ruf conversion (Sameer's car) that I posted at the beginning of this thread - solid center with working fog lamps at the ends. Keep us posted, maybe we could work out a "group buy"...I'm sure some Pelican folks would be interested too.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sand_man
That would be great! I think there's a demmand for this. Me personally, I prefer the look of the yellow Ruf conversion (Sameer's car) that I posted at the beginning of this thread - solid center with working fog lamps at the ends. Keep us posted, maybe we could work out a "group buy"...I'm sure some Pelican folks would be interested too.

Jeff
Agreed...I would definitely be interested in getting in on that deal!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 05:12 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

absolutely!
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
im4duke
Racer

ldangelo, if you make it I will buy it.

Also, there's going to be a DFW area Pelican gathering Saturday. See link:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=258264
Old 12-31-2005, 03:09 PM
ldangelo
7th Gear

Default Fabrication options

Hi All,

I would be interested in some feedback on the materials you guys are interested in. I could produce this part with a few different materials:

1) Fiberglass
2) Carbon fiber/kevlar
3) Sheet metal/Aluminum

I could use the same mold for 1 & 2. Option 3 would hand fabricated on a sheet metal brake. I'd be interested in the most desirable materials.

-LeoD
Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM
im4duke
Racer

Leo, I would choose material based on estimated cost/price. Aside from that, I'm indifferent. Functionally, I don't see any particularly important advantages/disadvantages between them. It's cosmetic for me. Raw CF would be cool, but surely pricey and not worth it to me.

Happy New Year, Rennlisters!
Maxx
Old 12-31-2005, 04:13 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by ldangelo
Hi All,

I would be interested in some feedback on the materials you guys are interested in. I could produce this part with a few different materials:

1) Fiberglass
2) Carbon fiber/kevlar
3) Sheet metal/Aluminum

I could use the same mold for 1 & 2. Option 3 would hand fabricated on a sheet metal brake. I'd be interested in the most desirable materials.

-LeoD
WOW! Sounds like we're (or Leo) is geting somewhere on this! Honestly, I think good old fiberglass would be suffucient. CF or Kevlar are cool, no doubt, but maybe a bit of over-kill as it were. What are your thoughts on the working lamps? Would this be incorprated or something that we (the buyer) would have to source? If push came to shove, I guess I'd be happy with a totally solid piece...I'm sure that would be the simplest approach.

Jeff

PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR, FOOLS!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:21 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Just had another thought...does heat play a factor? I realize that the orignal reflector can't be the most durable thing on the panet...I'm just throwing it out there as another consideration. I'm planning to lose my rear lower valance and run a 934 style "zork" tube exhaust in the middle. There could be flamage. Maybe aluminum should be considered...maybe I'm just a dumb @ss.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:40 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Carbon fiber with stencile for "Porsche". That way, I can paint the letters to match my car color and clear the whole thing. Otherwise, I don't care about the material.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:47 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by sand_man
Just had another thought...does heat play a factor? I realize that the orignal reflector can't be the most durable thing on the panet...
Mine is cooked to a crisp on the inside near the turbo...
Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 PM
ldangelo
7th Gear

I will spend some time this week making a mold of my center reflector. From this I can make fiberglass and/or carbon fiber/kevlar parts. I'll start out making solid parts (no cut outs for lights), however if we can find lights that people are interested in then I would be happy to cut and mount the lights as well... I can also paint them if I have the right color codes...

I will look into the material costs but I'm thinking I should be able to make/sell these basic panels for ~100 - 150 bucks... Obviously lights, paint, etc would add to the cost... I think it's only fair to point out that I have only made parts for myself... I'm pretty picky but I'm sure most of you are as well, so I would happily refund the cost to anyone that is not happy with what I come up with.

Additionally I'll play around with making one from sheet metal...

I would think that as long as the heat shield is in place the molded parts should hold up pretty well...

I'll keep you posted of my progress...

-LeoD
Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 PM
im4duke
Racer

Sounds great! Thanks, Leo!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:36 PM
sand_man
Drifting

I'm still in!!!