911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Re-using Pistons and Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-using Pistons and Cylinders

Well gang, I'll post detailed pics of my pistons and cylinders tonight. After reading a lengthy 7 page thread on Pelican about honing cylinders (or not honing) I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to re-use my stock Ps&Cs. I just can't justify the $2500 for new cylinders. Stephen's "master rebuild kit" comes with new piston rings. What do the pros on this board say about prepping used cylinders? Henry Schmidt of Supertec typically uses a 3M Scotchbright pad to clean up the cylinders. Others swear by diamond honing. What's the safest way to ensure the new rings will seat during break-in? I want it to be right. If I have to break down for new cylinders, I will, but I don't think I need to go there.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=163663
Old 12-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Have you started with measuring the cylinders yet? I like honing the cylinders with very fine stones, onr can then use Henry's suggestion and then so a final clean with Scotchbright red pad..
Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can not really hone these without a diamond hone. However, if you are going to reuse your P'c and C's they need to be checked out thoroughly. Send them out and have everything ok-ed before reusing them. Don’t assume because of the mileage or oil consumption they are ok until you spec them out. .
Old 12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the factory Goetz rings iron or chrome moly? how do you tell the difference I know goetz makes both kinds?

Quick Reply: Re-using Pistons and Cylinders