New LM-1 AFR meter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New LM-1 AFR meter

Got the LM-1 today and ran the CD. God! This thing has more requirements than a new bride! What is the typical installation/use regimine that most of you adhere to? I was planning on leaving it installed and using it reularly but the warnings from Innovate make it sound like a gamble. Start the engine first but don't turn on the LM-1 until the water vapor is out of the system, then remove the probe often and recalibrate it. Don't place it in an area that will get over 900 F which is the exhaust system. Am I miss reading the product? Some of you old users chime in here.
Rudy
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy, initially I ran mine off the lighter and then hard wired it using a standard bosch square relay(you know, the kind used for everything?) triggered off the lighter. I used the lighter as the trigger mainly because it worked well prior to hard wiring since it is switched power with no power during cranking and easy to wire. Hardwiring provided higher voltage to the LM1 which resulted in quicker heat-up. I know the literature makes it very confusing. All I can say is that I've had mine running daily for 14 months with no problems other than my earlier mentioned power washing that damaged the sensor. I haven't found that I need to recalibrate, can't even remember the last time I did. It's easy to see when you do need recalibration by powering up the lm1 after the car has sat overnight. You should see 20.9, if not recalibrate. I did make a small copper heat sink to prevent the sensor time-out error from overheating. You should be able to find info about this on innovate's site. I'll try and post a pic this weekend. Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike. I did not realize that the lighter outlet was switched. Did you use the lighter wire as the relay trigger? And where did you tap a 12 v source from? How much fuse did you use? I'm starting to sound like that new bride I described aren't I? Did you mount the meter in side or did you get a new gage? If you use the meter, where do you mount it? Lots of questions but I need help.
Thanks again,
Rudy
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The LSU-4 and 4.2 sensor is not all that durable, particularly in a turbocharged environment. However, if you install it properly, it should give you years of usage. Mine connected to a MoTeC PLM is over 4 years old at this point.

The sensor does not like pressure - no preturbo installation
The sensor cannot take heat above 850c - no preturbo installation, although I regularaly install them 2-3 inches from the turbine outlet with no issues.
The outside of the sensor needs access to fresh clean air for properl reading
The sensor cannot be installed where water can collect in the sensing holes - install nearly vertical

The heating element in the LM-1 needs to heat the sensor properly or it will reduce its life expectancy. Too fast and it will burn out.
The sensor will wear over time and may need a fresh air calibration. I don't know about the LM-1 specifically, but with the MoTeC PLM, this really hasn't been an issue. I think I've done it once or twice in the 4 years with little change.

Remember the LSU-4/4.2 sensor is a production sensor and is designed to last in an OEM environment.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have LM1, and have had no issues except last event last event got open circuit. ...have whole winter to figure out. see mounting in pic. based on innovate you need 12" from turbo, but i don't. note temp paints stripes on sensor as a i was trying to see what max temp got up to. at bung it was around 1000F, but much cooler up shaft of sensor. was really leary about this because have friend with gt2 TT and he could not get them to work without over heating, even with heatsink and he has pipes off each turbo similar to mine. ...plus I'm running straight 110 leaded.

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:12 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Thanks Mike. I did not realize that the lighter outlet was switched. Did you use the lighter wire as the relay trigger? And where did you tap a 12 v source from? How much fuse did you use? I'm starting to sound like that new bride I described aren't I? Did you mount the meter in side or did you get a new gage? If you use the meter, where do you mount it? Lots of questions but I need help.
Thanks again,
Rudy
Yes, I used the lighter as the trigger. I went direct to the battery and used a 2 amp fuse, which is what is in the lm1 cigarette lighter plug. For whatever reason, I was getting almost 1 volt less at the lighter with the engine running than at the battery. Currently my LM1 is velcroed to the a/c duct next to the bow-tie vent so it's not viewable while driving, but with the velcro I can pull it out when needed. I will probably add one of innovate's displays but just haven't gotten around to it. Currently spending all my time accumulating parts for a new motor
Old 11-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Win Rice
Advanced

Joe,

110 leaded with a O2 sensor? The life span of an LSU-4 with leaded fuel can't be very long.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Leaded fuel will contaminate any O2 sensor. They say the LSU is good for 10 hours, however, I notice that we get about a season out of the sensor before it is no longer providing accurate information. This is probably more like 30 hours.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the LM1 with and XD1 display for last weekend at VIR. So far so good, except whene I blasted out of the hot pits one time... I got an E8 errror code. I assume I blasted the sensor with lots of fuel or something.... It worked fine the next sesion.

Now it's just one more gauge to watch.....

Quick Reply: New LM-1 AFR meter