911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Do you think these will work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:05 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think these will work?

I am thinking about upgrading my brakes to go along with the IA efi conversion and coil over conversions. I found these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...09940251QQrdZ1

Item number: 8009940251

Do you think these will work? Will I need to get new rotors and install equipment? How much of a pain in the *** would it be to get these on a 79’ 930? Is this a good deal?

Thanks,

Scott

Ps I will do a write up on the efi and coilovers when I get my car back from AI.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For starters, you'll need new adapters, rotors and hats front and rear. From where he's starting his bidding, you'll end up with as much as or close to if you bought the proper kits.

I would keep looking and find a set for a 930. My preference would be one from The Racers Group or Steve Weiner, as they have setups that have rotors that are slotted vs. drilled. Stephan may have them as well?

Did the '79s have the floating rotors? You might have to change hubs as well?

Looking at the Perf Prod website and plugging in a '79 930 came up with no "Big Red" options.

Certainly with more power from your new setup, you'll want more braking power.

Just my .000002
Old 10-31-2005, 09:40 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you planning on tracking your car? If not, the stock brakes are pretty damn good.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:49 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCal Mike
Are you planning on tracking your car? If not, the stock brakes are pretty damn good.
Exactly right. There is NO difference in street performance between the stock 930 and the big reds. If you decide to track the car, then there is a big difference in fade only, not stopping power. The big reds can handle disapating heat much better because of their size, therefore much better for the track. For more info, see Panorama tech article, earlier this year.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that would have been to easy. I thought for sure that the big reds would stop better that my 917 floating rotor type brakes. I do plan on tracking the car some this summer (nothing crazy) so maybe i don't need them. Thanks again for the help.

Scott
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

My 930 has had 928S4 big blacks fitted to the front, then the original 930 fronts were fitted/moved to the rear. Mine have all been painted red in the past.

Haven't tracked it so I cannot comment but read somewhere that there is not a huge difference between the reds and the blacks.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the GTP set from Steve Weiner and it's fabulous!

The only thing I don't like is the front rotors. They are a stock 993TT rotor and are made of cheese. Well... Not actually cheese. But they don't last very long. I'm going to try to find a set of slotted fronts that are hopefully made from a more durable alloy. Any ideas?

I had the S4/930 combo previously and it was a big improvement - especially considering the cost. If you're going to the track you might want to splurge and add some front ducting. That is also a big help.

I have also used a lot of different pads and find Pagid Black is by far the best compound for me. Orange gets too gummy and will warp rotors quite easily.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:10 AM
cardsrule
Pro

Just wondering if i did do a upgrade package front and rear, how much could i sell my old 930 brakes?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:17 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsrule
Just wondering if i did do a upgrade package front and rear, how much could i sell my old 930 brakes?
They are quite valuable to racers who have to use 15" wheel. I would guess they are worth in the $1k - $1.5k range.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Before you go out and spend $3000+ on a set of big reds you should determine if they're really neccesary. I track my 930 with the stock brakes (floating rotors), Performance Friction 97 pads, and cooling ducts; they work surprisingly well. Not as sexy as the big reds, but very effective. The PF97 pads are about $150 for the 930 (front or rear) while the big red PF97 front pads are about $320 and rears about $125 (I think the Pagids are even more expensive). So for the price of a set of front big red pads you could buy a full set of 930 pads and try them out before investing in a complete big red brake system. If they don't work out for you and you still decide to go for the big reds you can recoup some of the cost when you sell the 930 brakes. Also if you aren't running cooling ducts you should get them regardless of what system you choose.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll even add that the pedal feel with the 993tt brakes is not nearly as good as the stock brakes due to the additional piston size of the 993tt and the need to move more fluid.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent advice! Go in stages. If the next stage works, then it's good enough.

First try a good set of race pads. I paid about $200 for a set of Pagid Blacks in 930 size from Northstar Motorsports. I strongly recommend them. This will help a lot.

Also do some stainless lines while you are at it. I originally had problems that were eventually traced to really old rubber breaking down in the lines.

Then add ducting. It will work no matter what brakes you have so you might as well do it now. And your rotors will last a lot longer. It will help a lot!

At this point you should try not braking so much. A lot drivers just brake way too much. Spend some time on smoothness and momentum. Yes. A 930 is a momentum car. Every car is a momentum car...

Once you have perfected your driving skills, the next step is to install S4 front calipers and move your 930 fronts to the rear. Stay with your 930 rotors. They are actually pretty big already. There are lots of sources for used calipers and the adapters are easy to find.

If it still won't stop... Skip the big reds and go for the Brembo GTPs. They are basically a more modern version of the big reds. They bolt right on with zero fabrication.

Note: Be VERY careful with PF97s. If it is a race car and you can clean the wheels after every day then they're okay. If you street the car, the dust can be very corrosive when it gets wet. Once it was so bad the alloys were rusted bright orange. Steel wool would not take it off. I had to have the wheels refinished. It's not worth it.

The Pagids Blacks are ceramic based. They work as well if not better than the PF97s and will not react to your paint.

I also agree on the Frozen Rotors. I've found they do take a lot more abuse then the untreated rotors.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the GTPs, but would have to think about The Racers Group set up of brakes that have the option for slotted of drilled rotors. The drilled rotors have fewer holes, but are slightly larger. They look like they would last longer than my 993TT rotors. Certainly the slotted would. Steve Weiner can set you up with the proper hats and slotted rotors as well.

Call both to veritfy replacement rotor costs, since you'll have to replace them sooner or later..
Old 11-14-2005, 11:55 AM
cardsrule
Pro

Thanks for the input. i will start off with some pads and go from there.

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 11-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with Geoffrey. I have 993tt big reds up front and moved my fronts to the rear. Even though I installed stainless lines, under hard braking on the track they stop very well with no fade but they tend to feel a bit spongy. I have to say there is little difference in feel for street driving.

Quick Reply: Do you think these will work?