Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Electric supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone gotta settle this for 300 bucks! the dyno NEVER lies !
Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My87Targa
this is like watching one of those bad info-mercials
Will the "Electric Supercharger" come with a Pocket Fisherman and/or a Salad-shooter if I act now? Okay, I'm sorry...it's F-R-I-D-A-Y and I forgot to take my salt-peter so I'm a little wound up - I'll slither back under my rock....
Old 10-21-2005, 10:33 AM
James-man
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way this can help your top end HP. Low end has some potential. Whether it helps enough to be worth $300 bucks???

If no one is willing to drop $300 and do an experiment, no one will really know if this will help low end responsiveness. You might want to check and see if their performance guarantee will apply for your application - if it does, then it is a risk free endeavor.

I have heard about folks buying these things to cool brake rotors on racers. The eRam company has been around for at least 5 years, and while they typically make more sense on lower HP applications, you guys might be onto something.

I hope someone steps up to experiement - it would be interesting to see what happens, or doesn't happen.

Good luck, all!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by sand_man
Will the "Electric Supercharger" come with a Pocket Fisherman and/or a Salad-shooter if I act now? Okay, I'm sorry...it's F-R-I-D-A-Y and I forgot to take my salt-peter so I'm a little wound up - I'll slither back under my rock....
Salad shooter has good bang for the buck.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by James-man
Salad shooter has good bang for the buck.
I wonder how big the turbine is on the 'shooter? We might be on to something here! While my engine is out, maybe I'll take some measurements and see if I can get it to fit:
Old 10-21-2005, 11:51 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

All innovative people throughout history in aviation, engineering, medicine, science etc have been laughed at and been the butt of jokes but they have continued in their pursuit of knowledge. I pray that if any of you ever get an idea that you are passionate about that you find someone that will encourage you instead of laughing in your face. That being said, I am putting my wife's salad shooter inline with my turbo!!!
Rudy
Old 10-21-2005, 11:56 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911rudy
All innovative people throughout history in aviation, engineering, medicine, science etc have been laughed at and been the butt of jokes but they have continued in their pursuit of knowledge. I pray that if any of you ever get an idea that you are passionate about that you find someone that will encourage you instead of laughing in your face. That being said, I am putting my wife's salad shooter inline with my turbo!!!
Rudy
My comments were all tongue in cheek...SHEESH!
Old 10-21-2005, 12:11 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Who's and which cheek? Just having fun with you. I think Stephen has a good idea and hope Mike will allow him to test the eRAM on his dyno and publish the results here. I don't know Mike but it would really help his cause to let Stephen test it.
Damn! My x-ray glasses just failed!
Rudy
Old 10-21-2005, 12:19 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Who's and which cheek? Just having fun with you. I think Stephen has a good idea and hope Mike will allow him to test the eRAM on his dyno and publish the results here. I don't know Mike but it would really help his cause to let Stephen test it.
Damn! My x-ray glasses just failed!
Rudy
I think it is an excellent idea and I probably should have said so before moving on with my Ronco schtick! At any rate the testing would certainly satisfy the curiousity and the Electric Supercharger folks could write the part off (that they send to Imagine Auto) to the infamous R&D Balance Sheet line(got capitalize all those expenses)!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Guys don't get your hope up on this thing.

There is a huge difference between bolting a hair dryer on the intake of a high compression NA civic and a 930. If there was any benefit to our cars from this you would have seen them on the Porsche race cars long ago. Or maybe even on NA street cars. Companies spend big bucks to get 10hp from an engine (varioram, variocam for instance) imagine forgoing all that and just bolting a fan on your aircleaner. The engineering and manufacturing savings would be huge.

Now as a brake cooling system it might be pretty cool.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM
My87Targa
Racer

id personally just get a small shot of nos and call it a day. just go with something that works.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter

There is a huge difference between bolting a hair dryer on the intake of a high compression NA civic and a 930. If there was any benefit to our cars from this you would have seen them on the Porsche race cars long ago. Or maybe even on NA street cars. Companies spend big bucks to get 10hp from an engine (varioram, variocam for instance) imagine forgoing all that and just bolting a fan on your aircleaner. The engineering and manufactoring savings would be huge.

Oh my hopes are not up and by excellent idea, I mean I think it's an excelent idea for an interested party to move forward on the testing with a 930 engine to put the theory to test and to rest...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Like i mentioned, i wonder if it will decrease lag, or to what extent.
by the way, what is the baseline hp you expect on the car to be modified?

If the hp to the wheels is over 250, you may be in excess of the pressure generating capabilities of the eRAM at that those mass flow rates. however, if there is restriction in the air box, it could work fine.

Mark

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
How about shipping us one. I will bolt is on and off ona car on our dyno and post the results.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:15 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

So that pretty much eliminates all Porsches except early 911's and 914's. Back to bolting it on 4 cylinder Hondas.

Honda drivers like these also http://www.shoplaser.com/index.html

Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

You may not understand the potential of such a device. Ive demonstrated the eRAM in front of crowds of people at a dyno and seen the positive results.. actually, for reasons you may or may not understand, the gains are mostly at the top of the HP curve at the higher rpms! my 240hp 928 engine got 10hp to the wheels with the eRAM on and then removed and off the car's engine.

the several 911s with 195 or 200 rear wheel hp , stock, got 10 hp to the ground with the eRAM just attached to the intake of the stock air box, using a KN filter.

we are not talking about a hair dryer. 850watts, 60 amps, 27,000rpm, 3lbs of thrust out of the eRAM is really nothing like most have seen before. AND the proof is really in the air box or air intake tube when we get an accurate pressure reading from a very accurate pressure sensor and it shows, vacuum of about .5-.7 psi, and with the eRAM on at WOT and at REDLINE, the vacuume drops and moves to a slight pressure. remeber, we are only talking about 1psi net change in the intake, but thats 6% or so, and on a 200hp rear wheel hp car, turbo or NA, thats about 10hp.

I think with this group, we are talking about turbo lag, and you may see gains in the bottom end due to faster spool up. i dont know. ill have to look at the 200 rear wheel hp dyno runs we did 10 years ago on a MR2turbo , just to see if the turbo spooled up quicker (set at 17psi boost on the turbo, not absolute, so the gains were 10hp on top of the 17psi of the turbo setting)

Mk

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter

There is a huge difference between bolting a hair dryer on the intake of a high compression NA civic and a 930. If there was any benefit to our cars from this you would have seen them on the Porsche race cars long ago. Or maybe even on NA street cars. Companies spend big bucks to get 10hp from an engine (varioram, variocam for instance) imagine forgoing all that and just bolting a fan on your aircleaner. The engineering and manufacturing savings would be huge.

Quick Reply: Electric supercharger