911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ignition rewire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 AM
Porschekonig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition rewire?

I've got an '89 930 and have been planning a well-needed hardware tune-up by upgrading the spark plug wires, dist. cap, rotor and plugs. I now have all the parts, including 8.5mm Magnecor ignition wire set but have yet to find clear instructions on what I have to remove to get into the left side of the engine bay to swap out the spark plugs and run the new wires. The right side doesn't look too bad access-wise but routing the ignition wires seems a bit hmmm..."troublesome?" The left side of the engine bay appears to be quite harder to access to say the least. I've reviewed the Bentley Manual, it's 930 supplement and searched online without finding a clear and recommendend way of swapping out this hardware. Can anyone out there in the know give me an idea of the best way to tackle this project (ie. what parts/how I need to extract to access)? I've done this job on NA P-Cars but 930's have oh so much less room to move around much less rewire the ignition wire set. Does anyone have any tips they can offer me to do this job without completely ripping all the skin off of my arms? Are there any heat shields I can remove to provide a window of access from below to change the plugs and rewire? Also the Magnecors don't need the braided suppression/grounding wiring sheaths around them so what do you do with these original bad boys - just take them out completely coil straps and all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the intercooler and your life will become much easier.

Just junk the stock wires.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Porschekonig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, removing the intercooler makes it a tad easier but there still is very little room to access the left side spark plugs (I can't even see them much less get my hand in and feel them). Looks like I have to remove some of the turbo plumbing to get to these plugs but what parts to remove (& what not) exactly is the question? The spark plug guides are "buried" so I am assuming alot has to come off the top of the engine to just replace the spark plug wires and run them in the guides? As far as the braided grounding straps go it looks like everything is removed w/ the spark plug wires down to the mounts on the coil bracket - yes? Removing the coil I suppose is in order as well. My coil has a pretty badly destroyed plastic cap that fits over the wires - is this intended as a heat/water shield? Is this cap really needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Brian
Old 09-29-2005, 10:26 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I just replaced the spark plug wires on my '89 930 with Magnecor KV85s last weekend as well. I would agree a tough job on the left bank, in fact its the trickiest car I have ever changed spark plug wires on.

The guides have to be removed. The grounding straps are part of the plug wires so come out with them.

You do not have to remove any turbo hoses whatsoever. Do not make work for yourself.

Part of the problem is the stock wires are braided and stiff and are not supple and "bendy" like your typical plug wire.

I was able to remove mine with every plug wire still attached to the distributor cap and I did not remove my coil. Looks like a Medusa head!

Just takes time and some cursing. Don't forget new plugs too and also don't mess up the firing order when you put the new wires on the distributor cap. Replace the distributor cap and rotor too.

Good luck!

Yasin
Old 09-29-2005, 10:45 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tool that I purchased from either Mac or Snap-On...can't remember, but it looks like a bendable snake and it has a rubber boot on one end that you insert the spark plug (the end the the plug wire goes over) and the other end has a **** that you turn. The **** actually turns the rubber boot at the other end. You use the tool to guide the spark plug into the cylinder head and once you have the plug started (being careful not to cross thread...obviously) you turn the **** to get the plug started into the head. It's useful for getting the plug threads started...you still have to use a socket to cinch things up. You might be able to find one of these tools at Sears (Craftsman).

Quick Reply: Ignition rewire?