911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Am I chicken or impatient ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:24 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Am I chicken or impatient ?

I just bought the FabSpeed dual system for my 88 Turbo Cab. I am having a problem getting a service date for the install. I live in south Mississippi and the P car shop I trust was destroyed by Katrina. I do not know of another shop except in Tulsa, OK. where I moved from.
Do I go with the single out (installed by any muffler shop) or man up and wait for the install of the duals (whenever that day may come)? I haven't even opened the box from Imagineauto.com I also have a 1 bar spring I need installed . . .

Any help is gratefuly accepted. The Cab helps me forget that I lost most of my 150 year old Live Oaks and mature pine trees, the hole I have in my roof and the flooding we suffered from the storm (the 930 was on a car lift and was untouched).
I thought the new exhaust will "boost" the lack of speed of my insurance claim with State Farm and help jog the memory of my adjustor that I need my roof fixed, the rooms rebuilt, my fence mended and my home and life be back to normal, not to mention getting my wife off of my back for new furnature for the areas affected.
Phew, thank you for listening, mark
Old 09-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the mishap. The duals and single make no difference in performance other than in the looks department. I'd go with the dual. However the Fabspeed dual is still a single muffler where the other tip vents from the wastegate out.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
im4duke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I'm truly sorry for your losses and the unfortunate circumstances you are facing.

As far as your fabspeed goes, if it's just the muffler, you can do it yourself. You don't even need a jack to remove the bumper and muffler. Sounds like you might have a lift (don't know if it's still working) which would make it even easier.

Not sure why a single out would be easier or trusted more to a muffler shop. Either muffler requires removal of the old and bolt-in of the new. Just that the dual has a separate pipe from the WG. Hmmm...do you have the 2nd cutout in your valence already? If not, Fabspeed has some instructions on their website for this.

Either way, I wouldn't go to any old muffler shop. They don't know lifting points and other crucial things which tend to result in crushed oil lines, etc.
Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes with getting back on track. I bet a copy of the factory shop manuals would help you get to wrenching on your own...I heard a rumor about fellow rennlisters helping each other out in this regard...PM me if you want to hear the rumor.

Maxx
Old 09-21-2005, 09:20 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have some minor mechanical skills and tools call me. I will walk you through this. We can get it installed together. It is not hard, takes patience though.

Glad you made it through the storm!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:49 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it! As for the Fabspeed dual vs. single, the only difference is that the pipe on the driver's side is really the waste gate dump tube - extended to look as though it's part of the exhaust. You'll also have to make a cut-out in the passenger side valence and as others have mentioned, there are instructions on the Fabspeed website...it's very easy to do. Just take your time. I have B&B headers with a large B&B single-out exhaust tip on the driver side. The previous owner had just installed it as I took ownership of the car. I really wanted duals, but now the single has really grown on me.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:10 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I had serious thoughts on duals but ended up Fabbing it single. I just couldnt bring myself to cut the rear valence. If I hated it I would have hated myself. I kind of like the single look. Period correct for the car. Its okay to be a wimp!

I cannot even IMAGINE (no pun intended ) installing something like this. Are you kdiding me? By the time I had my rear fender off it would have so many nicks and scratches and I would have broken so many knuckles and taken the Lords name in vain so many times that I could have saved myself the agony, pain, time, and mental health by paying my shop $120 to install it (which I did!). Time is money too!

Good luck with it and your hurricane recovery. Youll love the exhaust. It sounds super.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone of you'll tried the Ruf muffler? Yes it retains the stock look but apparently they did something to the inside of it. If it's good for the yellowbird than surely it must be some good. Anyone?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:03 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

ok short answer, chicken. changing the muffler is easy penetrating oil and some wrenches. the extra outlet is easy fab speed has simple directions for cutting the valence.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Gino
Racer

why even bother with the penetrating oil... PB Blaster... WD40... and liquid wrench, just zip up the old Dremel and cut those suckers off in 15 minutes. you'll have to replace the original bolts/nuts anyway (Ace Hardware has them), so save the aggravation. same is true on the wastegate bolts/nuts when you remove the original unit from the exh pipe.
the 1 bar spring install is a little bit trickier than the muf and WG removal, but with the help of a wood C-Clamp, undoing the head bolts around the WG becomes a piece of cake... when done, just back the clamp off slowly to make sure you don't shoot the head across the room. be certain to clean out everything; inspect the rubber diaphram and reinstall making sure the fold-over on the rubber diaphram seats properly on the WG housing 'curb' as you re-clamp and tighten the bolts.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 PM
im4duke
Racer

Just a thought.....if you dremel off the bolts connecting the turbo to the muffler, you will have cut off studs, not bolts. Those will be hard to find at ACE. Even if you get replacements, it may be really hard remove the cut studs.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Gino
Racer

I actually did not Dremel the studs. I did use the Dremel on the cat-muf bolts to remove that connection to replace it with a by-pass pipe. when I replaced my 3LDZ turbo with the K27-7200, I just cut a deep notch into the nuts I couldn't get a wrench onto and/or didn't move. then I just whacked it with a beat metal chisel to break off the nut. the original turbo still has it's studs. the new turbo install I used SS bolts into the turbo, not studs and nuts.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:06 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I found a nut splitter a very useful tool while doing my header and turbo removal. The wastegate was impossible though. I have to drill out the studs. I think I should really just buy a new Tial one from Stephen...
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Gino
Racer

slick... what range (mm) nuts sizes do these spliters cover?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:22 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Here's a site for the usa.

http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/Br...+10201/c-10618

Says 1/8" to 1 1/4" with 5 screw extractors $9.99

Quick Reply: Am I chicken or impatient ?