Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Cost of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM
tm1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RobMc, I am in Killington, not too far from you! I have been to Rutland Motorcars and occasionally view their listings. Seems we are in similar situations, as the cars I am interested in are also far away. Not like we can go down the road, and quickly check a car out.. I have also seen the listing for PJ's in Burlington, but not interested in a convertible as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:41 PM
RobMc
Instructor

Originally Posted by tm1
RobMc, I am in Killington, not too far from you! I have been to Rutland Motorcars and occasionally view their listings. Seems we are in similar situations, as the cars I am interested in are also far away. Not like we can go down the road, and quickly check a car out.. I have also seen the listing for PJ's in Burlington, but not interested in a convertible as well.
It is tough finding a sportscar here in Vt it is also a challenge to find a decent mechanic!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Mine has never let me down as far as stranding me. However, my car is a '85 eurospec with only 60,000 miles on it. The last owner only drove it on perfect spring and fall days for the last 11 years. In fact, in 2004, I can document the car was only driven 24 miles (Down to the vehicle inspection station and back). Now, even being kept in an air-conditioned garage, that's absolutely terrible to do to a car. I've been going through it from nose to tail to get all of the dried-out, and dry-rotted, hoses, belts, tires, and mainly rubber items replaced. The more I drive the car ( and I drove it 1,000 miles to take it "home") the stronger its getting. I'm spending some "PM" dolars now so I don't have bigger problems later.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats true, apparently when I had my engine rebuilt, it didnt' feel as good as it feels now which is abt 15-20k miles
Old 09-21-2005, 06:22 PM
RobMc
Instructor

I drove my first 930 today and I'm very impressed. It fit me very well overall only lacking a small bit in headroom but I could definately live with it. The performance was fantastic, acceleration and the brakes as with most 911's were phenomenal. The gearbox was a bit notchy to me at first, I'm used to the one in my S2000 but definately again something I would have no problem getting used to.
This model I drove was a 79 and it did have some mods to it such as an aftermarket intercooler and turbo both being kokeln units. Also stainless steel exhaust and lines and cross drilled rotors also. I talked a bit on price but I'm hesitant to buy the first one I drive but this car does feel straight. As they say looking is half the fun!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

RobMc,
Good luck with your search and keep us posted. Patience is a good thing here. I actually actively searched for 9 months for the car I bought. I had lots of ones to choose from, but somehow, I knew this one was the one when I finally spotted her. I don't think I'll ever part with her, but I might add others to the collection!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi srf506, I have specracer #698 in the NEDIV. I guess you know Lee Hill, I've raced with him a few times up at the Glen.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:39 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, take your time. Funny, when I saw mine (listed on Ebay), I knew that was the one! The car literally spoke to me. I pretty much bought it on the spot. I went to TN to pick it up and when I saw it sitting there under the Porsche Dealer awning in front of the showroom, I had no doubts! The car was exactly as described. I didn't even take it for a spin. I climbed all over it, had him start it, and went inside to sign the papers. I've since invested a couple more grand in a starter, new and improved turbo, Magecor plug wires, cap, rotor,spark plugs, gear box oil change, engine oil change, fuel filter, brake pads, etc. Being that I do all the work, I guess you could call it a labor of love! And besides it keeps me off of the crack cocaine!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:56 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

sand_man, you have more ***** than I do my friend when i comes to your wallet, but I know how that passion can get to you. I pretty much saw mine and said "unless this car gives me a couple relaly good reasons to hate it, its coming home with me if I have to carry it on my back."
Old 09-23-2005, 06:07 PM
RobMc
Instructor

I've got another question for you guys we test drove the car for a good 20+ minutes after letting it warm up we pushed it hard, running it up to redline quite a few times and when we got back to the dealership I checked it for oil leaks and it was dry as a bone. My question is if it had an oil leak and the dealer cleaned all the lines etc. how long would it take for it to show up again? I'm thinking if it was a leaky line it would show up right away but if it was a cylinder head leak would it show up right away or would it take a while to leak to the point were I would notoce it?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:13 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

It seems the car does not have any big leaks. It may or may not have multiple small leaks.

Quick Reply: 930 Cost of Ownership