911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Cost of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
RobMc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 Cost of Ownership

Hi all I've been looking through the threads here and have found a lot of great info., I've been thinking of getting into a Porsche turbo but don't want to get in over my head. I looked into the 993 TT's but they are out of my price range however the 930 fits right into it. I'm looking at the 86,87 as they are the newest models I can afford. I'm not looking for a daily driver but I will use it a lot in spring, summer, fall so I want something that will be reliable.
In looking through the threads here I haven't seen a lot of complaints of break downs or weak spots on the 930. I'm not looking for anything modded and don't plan on going crazy modding the car just want to keep it in good shape. The questions that I have are what are the weak spots on the 930 it always seems like every model no matter what the make have a weak spot but I didn't see anything continually popping up in the threads I read. Also how much is a 15k and a 30k mile service? How much is an oil change?
Thanks in advance and this is a great site I've enjoyed reading all the threads and looking at the pictures of all your beautiful cars.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently sold a 1998 993 and bought a 1989 930. Wonderful car with a very nice power delivery. The one big problem is the air conditioning absolutely SUCKS! I had mine serviced two months ago and it doesn't blow cold anymore. Today I drove about a 175 miles for Porsche club event in 105 degrees with the windows open. It had me missing my 993.

There are a few outfits who have developed latest technology replacement parts for the 930 to bring its AC from the dark ages into the present. These upgrades are supposed to work well but you're talking $1,500 to $2,000 or more just for the parts (can include new evaporator, new condenser, extra condensers and fans, barrier hoses, new compressor, new drier, etc. I'm going to have to do this with my car. Consider budget for this if you need AC in your envirnoment.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weak poimt=overheating.
An additional oil cooler would help.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the biggest problem is bad maintenance. Make sure the PO took good care of the car. An engine rebuild can be very expensive. Since you're in VT the A/C shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:38 PM
RobMc
Instructor

A/C wouldn't be much of an issue for me here we have only one or two humid months and while it is nice to have a/c in the car I could get by without it.
Even though I planned on looking for a 86,87 I found a 79 I liked and I'm hopefully going to check it out and test drive it this week. I want to try diffrent years out and see how they feel to me.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:32 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Well,the AC is really a great dehumidifier, it just doesn't chill. As you know sun coming through safety glass can make you feel likea bug under the magnifying glass. Oil leaks seem to be an annoyance, Porsches seem to "weep" oil. My 60,000 mi. checkup just cost me $1,000 including some PM items such as replacing a really dry oil line, replacing the two front seat belts, new stainless braided, teflon brake lines, valves, oil, tranny, firewall insulating blanket replacement, alignment, AC "service", and two new motor mounts. The previous owner lived in "the middle of nowhere", PA. Although he worked real hard on trying to keep the car up, there's nota lot of what you call "qualified" Porsche service types unless you drove it to Pittsburgh or Harrisburg. But that's pretty much it. The rest of the car seems to be very reliable and "Bullet proof." Its got its quirks but its a great car.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:32 PM
tm1
AutoX

RobMc:
Where in VT are you located? I am here too, searching for a similar car, haven't seen too many close enough to easily go check out, where are you looking?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 PM
RobMc
Instructor

Originally Posted by tm1
RobMc:
Where in VT are you located? I am here too, searching for a similar car, haven't seen too many close enough to easily go check out, where are you looking?
TM1 I am at Stratton mountain in southern Vt near Manchester, where are you located? There is nothing near me, the nearest 930 I'm interested in is at least 3 hours away. There is a 930 conv. listed for sale here at www.pjsautovillage.com I don't know anything about it as I'm not looking for a convertible but it is in Vermont.
I have met with one of the owners of this dealership www.rutlandmotorcars.com and he is a huge 911 fan so you may want to speak with him and keep an eye on his website.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:07 PM
turbocarrera.
Racer

My 930 has been as reliable as any Honda - nothing goes wrong(I don't drive it much though - owned it for 7 years) and it has never made me walk. If something does break, some of the parts are a bit more than an SC or Carrera and if you don't do your own maintenance you will pay a little more. Not enough to matter imo.

Where mine costs is tires and gas. I'm on my 4th set of skins in 8k miles and my mileage is barely in the double digits.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 PM
RobMc
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbocarrera.
My 930 has been as reliable as any Honda - nothing goes wrong(I don't drive it much though - owned it for 7 years) and it has never made me walk. If something does break, some of the parts are a bit more than an SC or Carrera and if you don't do your own maintenance you will pay a little more. Not enough to matter imo.

Where mine costs is tires and gas. I'm on my 4th set of skins in 8k miles and my mileage is barely in the double digits.
LOL Funny you say that about the Honda that's what I'm driving now a Honda S2000. I thought the S2k was bad on tires, going through a set of rears every 5k I'm figuring that at 4 sets in 8k miles you track your car!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi srf506, just out of curioisity, what does the srf stand for? Are you with the SCCA by chance?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:54 AM
pete77930
Racer

Oh god...cost of ownership??? I don't wanna think about how much money I have in this beast. Seriously though its not that bad, the mods are where things start to get expensive.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:01 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree with pete77930.

I just did a Full tune up:
Magnecor Wires = $125
6 new Bosch W4CS plugs, Bosch Distrib. Cap + rotor = $110
Oil Change = $20

Start modifying the beast be prepared to shell out thousands in one sitting.

Yasin
Old 09-20-2005, 10:24 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Blackboy,
Yep, I own a Spec Racer Ford Chassis Number 506 hence my "handle." I race down here in the SEDiv at places like Daytona, Homestead, Moroso, Roebling Roads, Road Atlanta and of course, my personal favorite and "home" circuit, Sebring. You guys whine about keeping up a 930 or other variant, try keeping a 25-year old racing car competitive, and we're what you call the "low-cost" racer. Its about what owning a really big boat is in cost, so is the 930. So I guess I could've owned a REALLY big boat, but racing is much more fun.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my ride for 5 years and never once has it been towed back to the workshop, everytime it's in the workshop, it's for an upgrade or restoration. Do regular oil changes, maintain it well and it will serve you well. However if you dont, it will blow a deep hole in your pockets. It will bite back.

Quick Reply: 930 Cost of Ownership