911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

EGT Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:47 AM
James.E
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT Sensors

I have 6 EGT sensors ready to plug into my MoTec setup. It so happens that I can plug them into the air injector ports. Is this location going to be too hot, or is the closer (to valves) the better, the general idea.

Also what temps should I be looking for/avoiding once set up?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi James, The EGT probes should be within 1-2" of the exhaust port and I would think that installing them in the air injection ports would be Ok. What are you looking to use the EGT information for? To be honest, there are much better tools for tuning than an EGT probe. If I told you that I had an EGT of 1400 degrees, what does that mean? Too lean?, too much timing?, too much detonation?, or just right? What you will find is that ignition timing has more of an effect on EGT than anything, and that an engine running at peak cylinder pressure (correct timing) will produce higher EGTs than an engine that is not optimized. If you are looking for the EGT probes to give you information that will keep your engine safe, I don't think they'll do that for you. Use your Lambda meter fror tuning air fuel ratio, and a dyno to determine optimum torque. Beyond that, EGTs are only an additional source of information to help you make decisions, but I would not make any decision purely on EGT information.

Since you have 6 EGT probes, you can work on the 3D individual cylinder trim table in your MoTeC to balance out the engine. One of the best things about programming an engine on an engine dyno rather than a chassis dyno is the access to a sophisticated data acquisition system. You may find that at idle, the engine is running 13.5:1 but the EGTs are within a 200 degree range due to a common plenum manifold and reversion from camshafts, etc. With the MoTeC and the EGT information, you can even out the cylinders and the engine will tend to run a little smoother and you can run the engine a little leaner since you are no longer programming for the "leanest cylinder".
Old 09-18-2005, 10:22 AM
James.E
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Geoffery. MoTec is just too cool not to have more sensors fitted.... The idea, as you say, is really to enable individual trims to cylinders, however I may run 6 error outputs (on board LEDs) that i'll define a EGT range for. This might help me spot some problems before they cause too much damage.

I'll still be running twin widebands.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive have got one EGT sensor to install & a few q's... - I understand you tune the car with the A/F then have the EGT to look out for mainly if im right - when you are running on high boost for a long time for example not to see detenation as your A/F can be correct but your engine is running way too hot.

If you have only one- is it best to place it at one cylinder? Which one? How about instead putting it before the turbo and then youll have an average of all cylinder temps (but a lower temp than normal one)- you would then factor this lower temp whilst watching using the sensor -could you do this?

Also how do you drill the hole without containmating the turbo? my turbo is going to come off for the HFS but i would want to make sure the exhaust is clean.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Miles,
Why not just tune for correct A/F ratio and just to make sure your still not running too hot, just install an intercooler temp gauge. Thats what cools down the turbo.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

could do but whats the point of the EGT then? I just spent 100bucks on one that came with my zeitronix all is in the kit - very neat i must say this zeitronix stuff - porbably going to mount the lcd screen in my middle vent and fabrcate something....so I can keep a good eye on the readouts - you need to see it easily because the times when you need it most is when you have your foot down!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The intercooler does not cool down the turbocharger. It cools the intake air that has been heated by the compressor. EGTs will vary much more with ignition timing than it will AFR. I agree that the Mx00 series ECUs are very cool and it is a shame not to use all of the inputs. My M800 will have the following:

Left & Right Lambda
TPS
MAP
Barometric
4 wheel speeds
Oil Pressure
Oil Temperature
Cylinder head temp
6 Injectors
6 Igntion
Fuel Pump relay
MAP Select switch (allows switching on the fly between 4 Ignition and Fuel maps)
15 position Boost control switch (or trim switch)
Boost control valve
Idle air control valve
Traction control switch
Traction control slip warning light
Pit Speed limiter switch

My ADL dash will have
Left/right/vertical g-force indicator
4 Shock position sensors
Steering position sensor
Front brake pressure
Rear brake pressure
Oil level indicator
Fuel level indicator
Lap beacon
ABS System status light
Trans temp
Trans cooler relay
8 shift lights
1 warning light
various ADL specific buttons
Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Wow you can sure setup alot with that! Im just starting out with megasquirt to replace crappy CIS then learn it and move on to a better ECU if needed- you have your sensors there so its just a plug n play...

Can anyone help on my EGT q's above?

Old 09-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

to get valid EGTs, it needs to be placed within 1-2" from the exhaust port, or in the port itself.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Thanks Geoffrey, anyway of doing it with the exhaust on and stopping fillings getting to the turbo? Also which port?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I woudl remove it to ensure that all of the burrs were off the inside of the exhaust system as well as blowing out the exhaust from the metal shavings. The problem with drilling a hole then blowing out the exhaust, even with the turbo removed is that some of the exhaust valves may be open and that would not be good.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Ok I shall do that then! Thanks alot

Quick Reply: EGT Sensors