Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

K27HFS Owner Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny thing is if you bead blast your stock headers especially on the wastegate circuit I would bet that you will find hair line cracks. Almost all the sets I have cleaned up show some sign of issue along the collector or wastgate support and pipe.

At the end of the day I think most look for a set of replacement headers. If originality is a concern box them up. I don't think that the headers will detract from the resell of the car.

Also 321 shoujld be the choice in material. The other issue often overlooked is a majority of the cars out there run lean. This will destroy things at a rapid rate. Certainly faster than if it wasn't.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Kevin. That would have been your response for the last message I sent where I was trying to confirm my understanding.

I have seen posts about B&B and GHL headers cracking (now I see stock headers can also have this issue). Who makes headers of 321?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

The problem is, the end user does not want to pay for a $3,500.00 set of 321 headers.. There isn't enough demand to drop the prices, or put them into production.. So, buy a set of known headers and run em.. Watch your AFR's and try to get 3 years of service out of them.. There are so many other places that one can spend monies.. Camshafts, twin plugs setup, or even your suspension..
Old 07-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do a set of 3-2-1 $3.5k headers offer in terms of durability, efficiency and reliability?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We should set up a poll on currect owners to express the years before cracks.. For myself I went 2.5 years with a set of B&B's.. Welded them and kept chasing cracks..
Old 07-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lexfly how was your drive home from KC? You should have a good before and after example driving cross country..
Old 07-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Lexlyf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
Lexfly how was your drive home from KC? You should have a good before and after example driving cross country..
Hate to emulate pop culture, but it was HOT!!! (a la Paris Hilton).

The temp was about 95-plus degrees with a heat index over 100 I'm sure, but the drive was good.

I burned just about everything on the road that challenged. The most severe was a vette just after the sun had set in Missouri. After charging me pretty hard, he approached my rear fender/door, I downshifted to third and accelerated so hard, the vette's momentum was immediately ceased and I placed more than 10+ cars. Don't even ask about acceleration in 5th gear (G50 conversion).

During shifting under hard acceleration, my 930 let's out about a good 4 foot tall fireball belch out the exhaust pipes. You would have sworn someone was setting off fireworks.

Prior to the turbo & fuel head upgrade, I remember seeing flashes of light out of the corner of my eye at night, but since visiting IA, it is very, very apparent that this 930 is retro sleek with a naughty disposition. The hfs is a smooth & sound performer whose ultimate environment is either experienced on highways or track use. If you like to apply throttle like I do, you will soon determine that there really isn't enough public road to go where the hfs pushes you to. 110+ mph is a regular thing under boost through the gears.

The most obvious difference surfaced during highway ramp entrances, tight overtaking scenarios and navigating variable degree corners like in the PA mountains.

Big, big fun!!

From recollection, my prior upgraded K27, which is for sale, seemed to work harder & it was not as linear as the hfs is. Power was more on/off if you will, which died off 5.5k-6k rpm (previous k27 that is).

I'm looking forward to an efi conversion & hf2!

I'm sick & I need my medicine!!

Last edited by Lexlyf; 07-31-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Mike
I use argon to backpurge with my tig set-up as was recommended by my welding house to prevent the "sugaring" effect. The other problem is that really our headers should be made out of 321 not the commonly used 304. I have a set of Powerhaus headers that are supposedly made of 321 but from their lack of longevity and propensity to crack I would say they were made of 304. The tough part is you really can't be sure what they are made of. With 321 twice the material cost, I think there is some fibbing going on

Miles, I'm with you on the hp level. I really don't want to deal with an unstreetable clutch.
I was thinking Argon also. You can always get a wet chemical analysis done on the material by supplying a lab with some shavings if you are doing any repair work trim a little extra material and have an analysis done, they can tell what material it is by the chemical composition. It is a little more expensive then spectro chemical analysis but you wont need to supply them with a large section of material either.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Default Where do I get one?

where do I get a hf-s turbo? i just got a 930 targa the motor is dissasembled when I put it back together I was planning on replaceing the stock turbo with a k-27 this is the first I have heard of a hf-s
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ken, call me at the shop. 913.310.9927 or drop me an e-mail bwornall@imagineauto.com-I'll get it set up right away.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Okay... I finally got my new HiFlow S installed and wanted to share some thoughts and observations.

At first I was almost concerned that I wasn't making the same power because the "on/off" nature of my K27 7200 was almost eliminated. I still get that turbo rush but the power is much smoother and more linear. Around town, it is my initial feeling thats the turbo spools a bit quicker and you are able to be at half boost more consistently than before. On the highway or at speeds, the car definitely feels stronger. Once you get into the boost the car just keeps pulling right up to red line. There may be a slight drop in boost as you get there.... but nothing like with the previous 7200.

Now all that is left is to get my fuel head mod going (but can't bear to have the car out of commission for two weeks as I send the core off for rework) and to see about selling the 7200 unit.

Thanks Imagine!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rob are you running the stock wastegate.. Do you have stock headers?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:28 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

B&B Headers and a Tial Wastegate both of which were recently installed.

The spring set in the wastegate was supposed to be the equivalent of 1 Bar when it was shipped from Imagine, however I quickly found that I was boosting up to 1.2 - 1.3. Stephen suggested that the location of the wastegate isn't very efficient when coupled with aftermarket headers and that if I pull the helper spring out it should address the issue.

Why do you ask Kevin?

I had my mechanic pull out the helper spring last week and am now boosting at just about 1 Bar. Seems to have remedied the situation but I am not all that confident that it was the right fix.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rob, the helper spring fix is a inexpensive solution. The wastegate circuit needs to be enlarged. You would have to increase the diameter of pipe from the collector to the wastegate. Or you can step up with a pile of cash and have a custom set of headers made. Both solutions will cure the problem.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

hmmmm.... pile o' cash or helper spring.... guess the helper spring is the better option.

Kevin -

When previously responded to my post were you expecting to see different results from my turbo upgrade or just gernerally inquiring regarding my setup?

Thanks

Quick Reply: K27HFS Owner Opinions?