911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

red 935 DP on ebay ending in 3 hours

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:50 PM
senna21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard930
I would think that any car which has adjustable boost would be a candidate for a premature rebuild. If the car was primarily a city car (lots of idling / low speeds in hot conditions) but the driver occasionally put the boots to it by cranking up the boost this would seriously shorten engine life. These cars were hugely expensive when new and I would think that this is the kind of life they would have led. Lots of assumptions on my part but it would explain early engine rebuilds.
I'd disagree. I drove a car that had the adjustable boost in it. Fantastic. But it also had a fuel cut that would kick in at 1.0-bar. That's the safest way to keep an engine safe. This is the way it would work. You turn the boost down for daily driving to save gas. Then if you'd like to run hard, you'd reach down between the seats to the HUGE brass boost **** and give it a turn and jump on the throttle (in second or third gear to give the engine some good load). Keep doing this until you feel a violent jolt as the boost reaches 1.0-Bar and the fuel is cut. Then you turn the **** back about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and do it again. If you don't have the fuel cut out on you, that's your boost setting. Needless to say it would always be right at 1.0-Bar. I see a lot of guys running waste gate springs as the only defense but even with those you'll get boost creep. Remember, boost doesn't kill engines pre-detonation does. Boost just leads you to it.

But, if the car had adjustable boost and no fuel cut, I’d have to agree with you. However I can’t imagine they’d do one without the other. Then again people are stupid.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

One trip to far into the boost **** and kiss your rings good bye, and I speak from experience.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 PM
senna21
Racer

Originally Posted by Trader220
One trip to far into the boost **** and kiss your rings good bye, and I speak from experience.
It shouldn’t if you have a proper working fuel cut. Just pushing in 1.0+bar air into the combustion chamber (with no fuel) isn't going to kill your rings or head gasket(s). But, having 1.0+bar air and fuel detonate might/probably would. That’s why I say fuel cut and not ignition cut. Fuel and air under high compression can/will ignite on its own if the conditions are right (i.e. knock). Eliminate the fuel and you’re just pumping air into the cylinders.

I'm very sorry to hear about your engine. Were you running with a fuel cut? I'm curious as if you were I'd like to know how the damage occurred. And also how much boost did you wind up “turning” into the engine?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:00 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand the fuel cut off on a turbo car? If you are overboosting, why would you cut off the fuel and possibly lean out the motor at the worst time?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got mine it had a 1 bar spring in it - first time I hit full boost it went slightly beyond 1 bar and I got the fuel cut out. I don't think leaning out is the problem when this happens - eating the steering wheel is the biggest worry. Happened once or twice more and scared the s**t out of me so I had it restored to .8 bar. I guess someone had shimmed the wastegate and had the 1 bar spring so it went too far - soon after that the clutch bit the dust, presumably because of the abuse of those couple of incidences (full power acceleration with abrupt fuel cut out). I've had some mechanics who I otherwise quite like and respect try to tell me that 1 bar is absolutely OK (even with the stock intercooler) and that 1.2 is even quite fine if the intercooler is upgraded - I'm not buying this as I firmly believe that too much boost kills these engines. Anyone can make lots of power by pushing boost to the limit, I want the engine to last longer than a service interval though.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anybody tell me what seats are in that black DP on ebay?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:37 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

They look like the original race seats provided by DP (you can see the DP label on the headrest).

They sell a new version of the seat:

http://www.dp-motorsport.de/english/...ts935_spez.htm

Scroll down to the bottom.

Their site uses frames, so you can reach it at:

http://www.dp-motorsport.de/english/index.htm

Click on PRODUCTS --> DP35 --> RACE SPECIALS.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:52 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the link. I looked through all their models and could not find those older seats. I like the look of them more than the new style they have on the site.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:23 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

You may want to contact them, as they say they have 3 different styles...maybe one of them is the leather type shown in the car that's for sale.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Did'nt know they were still in business. Are they still as good as before?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeys
The black car is not a real 935 Dp, it is a U.S. model assembled here with DP parts. I believe all orginal DP's have to have the ZZZ in the vin # signifying european production where all the orginal DPs where made. I have seen many of these body conversions on standard 911s here in south Florida back in the 80's, some had Kremer on the sides.

I agree with you. The true DP's were all assembled at the headquarters in Germany. It looks like smebody did a conversion on the black car. Looks like a decent job though.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Guys,

With adequate cooling, a good a/f ratio and good octane like 94, your ok running between 1-1.1 bar of boost. The factory 964 3.3 turbo S came straight from the factory at 0.9 bar of boost pressure. Will the factory give a 0.9 bar spring if going 1 bar is dangerous? Many of us run at 1 bar and run safely at 1 bar. Slight fluctuations are normal, just make sure you run a good a/f ratio.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I don't race my car I like to put 100 octane gas in it.My DP 935 also has the adjustable boost. No probems at all.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:59 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 186 Posts

Steve,
Any idea as to where i can find the tail lights like yours,black borders ?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:20 PM
SoFast
Racer

Those black borders are Euro specs and you can easily find them on Ebay. I have seen them posted as I looked for 930 parts.

Quick Reply: red 935 DP on ebay ending in 3 hours