Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I have heard that some have recently sold for close $350k at auction. I also heard that they are fast but not as fast as some reports say. Apparently they had used several test mules for the mag articles and no one knows how fast these cars truly are since the test mules varied from the production model and the production cars have never been tested ?

I do know that some CGT owners have driven both and they say the GT feels slow in comparison. I don't know, still think the GT40 was one of the sexiest cars ever made and I wouldn't mind having one in my garage.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:12 AM
SoFast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He has a stats sheet and the 0-60 is around 3.3 seconds. As well, the car is de-tuned on HP. The dealer was telling him about re-programming the computer to get a bunch more HP.

Last edited by SoFast; 10-02-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:25 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

EVO magazine ran a Ford GT up against a Gallardo and a 360 Modena. Basically the verdict was look out Europe.

America knows how to build great cars -- they just usually dont because the dont have to. People will buy American even when its crap, so why pay someomeon to shine the turd needlessly if you dont have to.

The Vette is world class. The Ford GT is well, beyond that of course.

The one thing Americans own the world on it seems is torque. Masses of it. Even our 930s dont have a lot of natural torque. Porsche engines dont really open up until after 40mph or so.

My buddy just bought a 400hp Cadillac CTS-V. Took me for a ride. For a 3900lb car it rips. Vette engine and 6-spd.

Id take a Ford GT in a NY minute. I have my foreign biases, but Im not stupid.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:43 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

There's a dealer in this month's DuPont Registry with 7 in stock...........$240K apiece.

www.freedomfordusa.com
Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Thats a $100K markup I believe. I dont care how great the car is, if a dealer told me that, Id tell them they just lost my business to Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini. Low volume high demand blah blah blah. Yeah, so too is my johnson. Lame excuse that may fly with the general population, but not me. I need another reason why you are selling a car $100K over sticker because you bought it from the manufacturer for under MSRP with a built-in profit based on MSRP. Is the car costing you more to sell? Doubtful. Is the only reason you are selling over MSRP is because you "can"? I can shoot myself in the foot, blame it on the neighbor, sue him for millions and probably win. So what.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:53 PM
senna21
Racer

Originally Posted by YYC930
There's a dealer in this month's DuPont Registry with 7 in stock...........$240K apiece.

www.freedomfordusa.com
First let me say that I love this car. LOVE it. But... I'm afraid not at that price.

I’m traditionally a bang-for-the-buck kind of guy. I’ll agree with you that the new Vette (even the older C5) is a fantastic car. And I typically hate Vettes.

I think there are far too many great cars below that price point that would take my dollars before one of these. First, Ford hasn’t said they’d only do a 2 year production run. They’ve left it open. They’ll make as many as they can sell. Which means in about two to three years I’d imagine you’d be able to pick a new one up at sticker or a used well below that. As many who bought Mercielagos at $300k and then took a $50-$100K depreciation over the first year or two I’d imagine these cars will do the same.

A GT at sticker is a great price for the car. It’s better than or equal to the Ferrari 430 that’s at $200k and a two year waiting list. But, there’s a car that I used to hate until I saw and became familiar with and now grown to love, that you can now get for $150k. That’s the Lambo Gallardo.

For $250K I’d take a G-car for daily driving and get a ERA GT40 ( which is an exact replica ) as it’s approved to be used in vintage racing.

Sofast, I’d say check out their web site. They’ve duplicated the original except where improvements needed to be made, for safety and improved street drivability.
They also have a great deal of info (links) to sites on the Ford GT40.

Then again I've paid prices for cars that others thought was rediculous. It all comes down to what you can afford. If you can afford the money for the car and will be happy with it, then it's a good price. You only live once.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:23 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Trivia Time: Ford couldn't call this one a GT40 because someone else has the rights to the name!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 PM
SoFast
Racer

Yes, my brother has the money. He wasnt into the flare of Ferrari, or even Lambo....Not even Porsche...Even though he has taken a smitten to my 930 after he had a chance to see it. But he always loved the GT40...His daily is the 7 series V12 BMW, and that is as sporty as it gets for him. This is a step way out of bounds for him. He couldnt resist.

Yes I agree, he over paid, and the new Vette is a much better car for the price. But from what he was told from the dealer (we all know the lines they tell), this was a limited 3000 car run. They have an all aluminum bodied car that will take its place. Who knows how much creedence this guy has, but my brother didnt care. He just loves the car and gets so many thumbs up while driving it. He went out and drew a crowd at a stop light. Sort of like the Viper when it first came out.

I am sure the fan fare will die down in a couple of years. But arent they exciting when they are so new...

As for the GT40 name, that is a cool tidbit of trivia.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

250k,,hmmm a Lamborghini Diablo GTR in orange, CF rear spoiler, black rims, racing exhaust with dark tinted windows.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:37 AM
SoFast
Racer

Sameer, I 100% agree. I would have chosen a Lambo in a heart beat. You an me both. But this car my exceed the lambo if it is a true limited production car. One never knows.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

There are always a half dozen untitled new ones in Autoweek for low 200's if someone is looking
Old 05-27-2005, 10:29 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's definitely NOT "look out europe"

the 360 modena vs the gt? give me a break - 3600 cc NA vs. 5400 cc supercharged. add the 1.3 factor and it becomes 3600 cc vs. 7020 cc. they would never be allowed to be even close to eachother in classes. the gallardo has a 5000 cc motor. you cant compare stuff to that. its like racing a 1.7 liter 914 against a 951. whos gonna win??
Old 05-27-2005, 11:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Just remember the 944 was one of the first cars to have a dealer waiting list with 1/3rd the price as an added premium by the dealerships. I had my name on a list back in the early 80's and was # 4xx after 6 months I was # 5xx. I got really pissed that they were forcing me to pay a premium and then played games with the waiting list too. I bagged the 944 and bought a 911 SC and it was a great decision for the time. I have always been a 911 fan ever since. Nothing against the 944 but for the same price the SC was a better decision.

The GT40 is a great car and the replicas made are exact duplicates of the original using many of the original dies and tools. The only thing missing is the little plaque on the back firewall saying it is a real GT40 and the #. Everything needed to be updated is. I had a chance to see an original next to the replica a couple of years back at Road America. Boy they were pretty. The exhaust work and brakes were unbelievable. I would love to have one but there isn't a chance in hell that I could fit in one. I doubt I could fit in the GT either even with the added room.

The new GT is a very nice car but side by side there are major differences, and mechanically everything. It is a car that will command a premium by those who can afford it, just on its looks alone. It is very capable but as I said nobody has yet to actually test a production model vs the test cars. I would be curious to see a test done on an actual production car and compare it to the test mules. Although I like the lines of the GT if I had the $300K+ they are asking to spend on a car I would opt and spend the extra on a CGT myself.

I wish your brother luck with his new toy. Let us know your driving impressions when he lets you take it for a spin. Uh...correction, I mean when he takes you for a spin.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:59 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"conservative" is a ford GT? what does he buy when he goes crazy lol. have fun in the car!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:57 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have heard that some have recently sold for close to $350k at auction.
Those Ford GT rumors are wrong. There are plenty of cars available, and they will be selling for sticker price in a month or two.

A few Ford GTs sold for $250K+ last year, but prices have fallen rapidly now that the few "I don't care what it costs I gotta have it now!" guys already have their cars.

There are hundreds of Ford GTs in stock across the country (there are over 170 cars on Autotrader.com alone! see Ford GTs currently on Autotrader ), and only about 10% of the total planned production has been sold.

Ford GT prices continue to fall toward sticker price ($143K for no options, $156K for all options).

There's an enthusiast's site that tracks production numbers, sales numbers and selling prices. See details at http://www.FordGTprices.com

Several have sold recently in the low $180's.

Quick Reply: Ford GT