CV boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:05 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV boot

I have a torn inner cv boot and have the replacement ready to put on but I can't figure out if I have to remove the axle to replace the boot. My Bentely book shows the whole axle removed. Any help out there?

Rudy
Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack up the car and use jack stands.

Remove the wheel.

Use an allen wrench on the bolts to loosen them. It will be easier to use a allen socket to reach the bolts in the control arm. Rotate the axle to get at the bolts better. When you hve them all out, the axle will fall out. BE CAREFUL.

Also, make sure the allen socket seats in properly, as you don't want to strip the bolt out. Clean it out if you need to. If you strip one, you can use a pair of Vice-grips to get it off on the tranny side. On the outside..... I'm not sure.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Mike F
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to do the inner just by dropping the axle on the tranny side. After an outer boot tear on the other side a few months later, I figured I'd replace the 3 old ones. This obviously required dropping the entire axle. Having done both, I think it is much easier to just drop the entire axle. Much easier to do the repair while at a bench as opposed to lying under the cartrying to keep the axle from swinging around. While you have the whole assembly down, do both sides-inner and outer-as a while I am in there thing.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:36 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't forget to pack the boots with Moly grease (molybdenum disulfide)
Old 05-19-2005, 11:29 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys,
That was swift and exellent advice. I love this forum and the help we all provide each other. I will let you know how it turns out.
Rudy
Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Mike F
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Rudy,
How did it turn out?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I should have said while you are replacing that boot to clean up your CV joint and relube like JBH said. Also, take a good look at the bearings and bearing surfaces, If they are pitted at all, get new axles.

Just before I went to Road Atlanta last year, I had to replace a CV boot an dpaid like $25 at a shop here in Charleston. I bought a spare CV boot the day before a track day in case at a parts place in North Springs (maybe Dunwoody) on Roswell Rd. They have another store on Piedmont in Buckhead. The boot was like $9.50 with lube.

I can't think of the name of the place, but if you need an axle (and replace them in pairs), you might try to look them up.

Quick Reply: CV boot