911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Svc Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:58 PM
bjorne
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Svc Questions

I am the proud new owner of a 84 euro turbo 911, 40k orig miles, local porsche shop did ppi with comp, and leakdown, passed w/ flying colors, valve adj, 2k ago, It is do an oil change, What type of oil is best for this vehicle, syn?
What other fluids need to be changed? any other routine things I should do? prev. maint? I am coming out of an 89 911, so I am just learning this vehicle. Any helpfull suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Jason
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Jason;

You might want to find out what the previous owner used. Mobil 1 is the factory fill. As far as things that you need to do it is best to speak to the shop that did your PPI. Ask them what they think needs to be done.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:36 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations - you have may years of enjoyment ahead. I recommend joining PCA and experiencing Driver's Education with your 930 under controlled track conditions.

What oil is in it now and what has been used in the past? Some would recommend not using a synthetic if the car has not been run on it in the past - there are reports that oil leaks can occur when changing from conventional oil to synthetic.

If you are going to use a synthetic, consult your owner's manual for the proper weight/viscosity. I recommend Mobil 1. Synthetics have better high temperature stability compared to conventional oils and therefore are well suited to turbos which tend to run hot.

I apologize if you already know this, but after hard use and extended periods under boost, make sure you let the car cool down for several minutes allowing oil to circulate through the turbo.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wecome to the club, I use Mobil 1
Old 05-01-2005, 09:54 PM
bjorne
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, I will check with the porsche tech,
Jason

Quick Reply: Svc Questions