911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 values?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:53 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 values?

I'm a 944 guy, but I've always loved the 911 turbos from about '85-'88ish.

Anyways, I was just wondering roughly what you might pay for a car from this era - I wouldn't be looking for a pristine low mileage car, nor a barely running rust bucket. Higher mileage is fine so long as the car has been well cared for and the interior/exterior are in good condition. So basically I'm just interested in a general price range I would be looking at...

Also, what are the stock hp/tq ratings for these cars? What are the common mods most owners are doing for more power (I would assume all the similar things for 944 turbo - exhaust, maf, chips, turbo, wastegate etc) and what is a fairly easily attainable hp range?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine mods:390-400RWHP, these are the common mods most would do.
Kokeln long neck intercooler
B&B, GHL or Fabspeed exhaust
B&B or GHL headers
0.9 or 1 bar boost spring
Drill 8-9 1 inch holes at the bottom of airbox and replace with K&N panel filter
K27HF turbo
SC or 964 Cams
Andial fuel enrichment or just have your fuel distributor modified
Additional oil cooler with electric fan
Port and polish your intake manifold from 32mm to 38mm
KEP clutch

Chasis mods:
Sanders engineering torsion bar
Bilstein sport shocks
Monoball camber mounts
Ruf or other brand sway and anti roll bars

I'd also have the whole car checked for plugs, cables, hoses, leaks etc etc just to make sure your not loosing any power already.

The K Jetronic with fuel enrichment is good upto 480fwhp and nothing more. If you want to go further, you have to go EFI.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Sameer

any ideas on a price range for a nice stockish car from this era?

also, what do these cars run in the 1/4 mile stock? (I'm not interested in ever dragging the car, just looking for an idea on how quick they are)
Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 PM
gsxrken
Advanced

85 is a euro, history can be questionable and values are 15-20% lower.
86 through 88 probaly between 25-32k based on condition
89 with the 5spd and hydraulic clutch seems to add betwen 3.5 and 5 grand to an 88
Old 04-21-2005, 10:37 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

what kind of tranny did the '86 - '88 come with and are the trannys in the '89s that much better?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:08 PM
87turbo930
Advanced

pre '89s had the 930 4 speed tranny and the 89 had the 5 speed G50/50 trans.

The biggest advantage of the G50 is obviously the extra gear, then the hydraulic clutch. Ive never driven one but supposedly they shift much smoother and the throws are shorter.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:15 PM
SoFast
Racer

Default Euro Cars

That is not entirely true concerning Euro cars. The value is greater than US spec cars. Not 15% lower. Euro cars had better performance than US Spec hands down. Especially with the Euro fuel system, cams and porting. Right off the block you had 50 hp over US spec. Throw a Kokeln, andial fuel enrichment, K27HF"S", 1 bar boost spring, and a B&B exhaust, High Performance front oil cooler, and the US car could never come close to the ROW car performance. The only issues a ROW car has is emissions, but check your state and local authorities. As well, if the car has the right documentation, insurance is no problem at all. If you want the easiest low cost performance upgrades, and performance is your main goal, ROW cars are the way to go. The only way you can get the same performance from a US spec, is by pulling the engine and paying a bunch more moolah.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:15 AM
AZ930
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoFast
That is not entirely true concerning Euro cars. The value is greater than US spec cars. Not 15% lower. Euro cars had better performance than US Spec hands down. Especially with the Euro fuel system, cams and porting. Right off the block you had 50 hp over US spec. Throw a Kokeln, andial fuel enrichment, K27HF"S", 1 bar boost spring, and a B&B exhaust, High Performance front oil cooler, and the US car could never come close to the ROW car performance. The only issues a ROW car has is emissions, but check your state and local authorities. As well, if the car has the right documentation, insurance is no problem at all. If you want the easiest low cost performance upgrades, and performance is your main goal, ROW cars are the way to go. The only way you can get the same performance from a US spec, is by pulling the engine and paying a bunch more moolah.
I agree, insurance and registration has NEVER been a problem! I pass emissions every single time also.....
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
AZ930
Instructor

One more thing- As long as the car has been registered in the US before you will have no problems registering it again.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Curt911
Pro

just sold for $28k:

86 930 (aftermarket slant), 60k miles
Old 04-22-2005, 12:58 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

Price range very much depends on condition. Extremely low mileage cars can sell fo huge premiums. The 91-92 are typically 38-48 range, and the 3.6Ts are in the 48-60 range. Back when I was looking, the Pre 89s seemed to be in the 30-40 range.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:05 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not entirely true concerning Euro cars. The value is greater than US spec cars
Not sure of your source of information, but that is not true. Grey market cars are almost always discounted in the marketplace, the only exceptions being unique models that were never imported or certified for US sale. Examples are the 964RS, Cup Cars, 959, etc.

Grey market cars had to go through a number modifications to meet DOT and EPA requirements. There will always be questions in any sale about how well that work was done, hence the discounted value.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:52 AM
SoFast
Racer

Who has been hitting the crack pipe here?

Yes, the ROW cars had to have some modifications done to them, but mainly the cars hitting the west coast where emissions are much more srtingent. In certain instances, those cars were iffy. Other than that, if the car has all of its original paper work, been registered(has meet DOT and EPA requirements), and were not brought in illegally(Grey Market), the cars value is greater based upon speciality and performance. Thats a fact jack..... Hands down, you cannot beat a ROW car for volume(less numbers and originality) and performance. Track guys and purists are willing to pay the higher price tag for an authenticated US legal ROW car!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:13 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tell 'em SoFast!!!!

I get tired of hearing this stuff about 15-20% price reduction on ROW 930's. Why wouldn't you buy a Euro 930??? Everything SoFast said in his earlier post is pretty much right on. If the car has been maintained properly, has been registered and insured by the previous owner, what is the problem?

I mean, lets get right down to it. If you look at what they did to my car during the federalization process, what could they have possibly hurt:
1. They unhooked the headlight washers. Don't ask me why, but that was one of the things they did.
2. They added the side impact bars to the doors. Well those doors have the same internals as the US doors, so adding that bar, whether its a US door or a ROW door doesn't matter.
3. Emissions equipment - how hard is it for them to install the emissions equipment? Its all bolt on stuff. How hard can it be??? They basically added a smog pump, attached the pully to the scavenge pump, and ran the necessary hoses. Its not like they had to disassemble the engine and install "US Spec" crank bearings or anything.
4. Taillights - they basically unbolted the Euro lights and bolted up US taillights. Hmmm... sounds like a job only SuperMan could do...
5. Adjusted ride height...
6. Changed decals on gas gauge and gas door to read "Unleaded Fuel Only"
7. Changed speedo to read in mph instead of kilos. This could be the major point of contention but like I said earlier, if its a well maintained car, does it really matter if the speedo is off a little on the mileage? Anyone could disconnect the lines between their tranny and speedo at any given time anyway, causing incorrect mileage readings. Hopefully the maintenance record on the car will show the that car has been properly maintained.

That's all I can remember right off the top of my head. I recently filed a claim on my Euro 930 and I evidently shot myself in the foot. It was an '83 and everyone had said I'd have trouble insuring it. So I got a stated value policy on it for $30K. When the car was wrecked I was concerned about how the insurance would address the $30K value on a ROW car. Well, they came back and said that they valued the car at more than $30K, which obviously would have been in my favor, but my premiums were based on the $30K stated value. EITHER WAY, I didn't have a problem insuring, registering, or filing a claim on a Euro 930.

I hear people say all of this bad stuff about the Euro 930s but haven't actually seen any posts where someone documents not being able to register the car, or insure it, etc.

Brian
Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

It isn't always about logic. The market determines the price and the market gives them a lower value.

Quick Reply: 930 values?