911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fabspeed BMC F1 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fabspeed BMC F1 Intake

Any of you guys use this before? Any good? StephenPhd, what do you think?

Benefits

Uncluttered Engine Compartments
No steel Air box- No heat sink to absorb heat and heat up intake
Easy to work with engine, save $100's in labor during routine maintenance
Saves maintenance time, and weighs much less, for better handling and cooler engine Temperatures
Developed and sold exclusively by Fabspeed Motorsports. Manufactured under license by BMC Italy
More Cold air flow, and more power
High velocity air flow supports up to 550 HP
911T Intake $245
Old 04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
SteveMB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sameer,

I installed one on my 85. Quality construction and materials. The only thing I don't like is that there aren't any provisions for the crankcase vent lines. They give you small round filters for each vent line though (oil tank / turbo). I can't give you any hard data on performance gains either - haven't had time to do a dyno comparison.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Gino
Racer

I just played around with a very inexpensive set-up this past weekend ($25, but only came with a paper filter element. I planned to find a correct K&N to fit).

a standard Holley 4 barrel has the same diameter (5.25") flange as the CIS. with this kit's standard bottom plate, which raises the filter assembly about 3/4", and a very slight (1/8") notch cut into the outside diameter of this plate for the mixture key, the whole assembly fits perfectly including the filter not interfering with the mixture key spring.

since our CIS intake set-up has a 2 bolt bridge to hold the airbox, instead of 1 center bolt for the Holley, I had to drill those two (3.5" apart on center). But, the standard Porsche bolts are the perfect length for at least this paper filter. at only 2.5" of height, I think it may not be enough breathing, but there is room for at least 3", or maybe 4" of filter height. I'm thinking of using the center hole to affix a nipple for handling all the 'venting' hoses.

I'll take some pictures when I can to post... I'm out-of-town this week.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Steve,
Did you feel any power gain or difference in sound?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 PM
SteveMB
Intermediate

Sameer:

Not really any noticeable power gain, but throttle response seems to be improved. Definitely an increase in intake sound. You can hear the air being sucked in under boost. Somewhat disconcerting at first.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked K&N at one time what size (sq. in. and cfm) air filter I would need for my car, but I can't remember the answer, as I was thinking of doing the same thing as Gino. My point is that you want to make sure that the filter is large enough to not choke the engine. Some real before and after dyno testing would be great with the Fabspeed.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Two things that seems to bother me on the Fabspeed BMC filter.

-It sits behind the intercooler and so is blocked from the air comming in compared to the stock location
-The heat from the intercooler

What have you guys to say on this?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
SteveMB
Intermediate

Sameer:

I would think that the majority of the hot air from the I/C gets sucked into the cooling fan. Plus I would think that the wing deck louvers keep things stirred up a bit in there?

930 rocket:

Not sure if this is good reasoning but - the CIS flapper opening is about 5" in diameter which equals 19 square inches in area. The stock filter element is about 6" X 12"? (guessing - don't have one in front of me) which equals 72 square inches. The Fabspeed filter measures about 136 square inches in area (two 3.5" radii on 6" centers, 4" tall). Not sure how this correlates to CFM but the Fabspeed is almost twice the area of the stock filter element. Plus the stock filter housing has the necked down area just before the fuel distributor which looks to be half the size of the filter element.

Gino:

Someone is making a round aluminum housing with a paper element that I've seen advertised in Excellence. Ridiculously priced (just like the Fabspeed). I guess since they're made for a Porsche they think they can jack the price? I've thought of making my own as well (I have a great machine shop at my disposal at work), but took the lazy way out and purchased.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Steve,
What abt those not running a fan under their spoiler? No blockage at all from the air rushing in from the outside.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 AM
SteveMB
Intermediate

I meant the alternator/engine fan, not an auxilliary electric - or did I misunderstand the question??
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Ok than there are 2 fans we're talking abt.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
SteveMB
Intermediate

Yep - I only have the alternator fan. So I meant that the majority of the air passes thru the I/C and then gets sucked into the alt. fan (I would think anyway). I guess if you have a full width I/C that theory goes out the window!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Got it Stevo..
Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it looks like the OEM intake was put on the right side because of the air flow pattern caused by the IC. If you look at the open space in the engine compartment, you can see that the only real space is on the right side. I added an electric fan to my rear condenser that pulls in and blows directly into my modified OEM intake. I think that is the most efficient setup without adding a fresh air scoop and hose to the rear deck lid. BTW I've seen that set up and it looks good. I was also wondering if anyone knows the airflow pattern of the engine compartment and where the discharge air is mostly routed. It would seem to me that if a deliberate pattern could be set up and the discharge path was optimized that cooling and cooler air could be enhanced. Any thoughts on this?
Rudy
Old 04-06-2005, 12:55 PM
SteveMB
Intermediate

Rudy,

There's really no place for the air to discharge other than thru the alt. fan or to get sucked into the engine, correct? There's a few gaps in the sheet metal pan but nothing substantial. Didn't the stock airbox have a short plastic elbow that curved up towards the louvers? I've seen this in a few pictures - not sure if it was stock or an add on.
I think some kind of duct could be fabricated that would route air towards the stock air box (or whatever filter is being used).

By modified 'OEM intake' do you mean the air box or did you build a custom manifold? I'd like to see a few pics if available.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed BMC F1 Intake