79 turbo on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a few comments:
* This crowd can be tough. Pelican is the same way except there people actually post right in the classified ad.
* Toby apologized so let's leave personalities out of this and discuss the merits of the car.
* Selling a car as a collector item at a collectors price absolutely demands thorough documentation. Anybody that attends high end auctions knows this. Any discrepancies or gaps produces a big hit on the sale price.
* I bought a Porsche at a Chevrolet Dealer in Newark, DE. They picked up the car in an auction at Manheim, PA - typical for dealers picking up a used car inventory. They totally misrepresented the car, mostly out of lack of knowledge and partially out of greed. I later find out the car was wrecked, speedo replaced (this was before Carfax) and repainted. I had to sue the dealer for more than $15K for the repairs. I won, but had to take him to court. You might say I am really suspicious of older low mileage high end cars
Old 03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JBH ,Toby apologized that is good enough for me.

I can't figure out why when I looked for old service or warranty records on the car the Porsche computer thinks the car came through as rain forest green? I was told such mistakes are common on the older cars. I ran the VIN three times and it shows the car as being sold from the dealer Toby talked about but as a green car? I doubt with the window sticker intact that it was a color change. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Makes me wonder how reliable those old certificates of authenticity are from PCNA. I have walked away from a couple of older turbos because the number on the engine didn't match Porsche records even though the owner was certain it was the original engine.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by Les Quam
I agree with JBH ,Toby apologized that is good enough for me.

I can't figure out why when I looked for old service or warranty records on the car the Porsche computer thinks the car came through as rain forest green? I was told such mistakes are common on the older cars. I ran the VIN three times and it shows the car as being sold from the dealer Toby talked about but as a green car? I doubt with the window sticker intact that it was a color change. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Makes me wonder how reliable those old certificates of authenticity are from PCNA. I have walked away from a couple of older turbos because the number on the engine didn't match Porsche records even though the owner was certain it was the original engine.

I look at some of the photos and it looks like it may have had a repaint, but when you look at the interior color I doubt it would have been put in a green car, so I think the imperfections I saw were prob factory and this car is prob a nice find. I too think I saw the car at A.D. some time back in 2001 or 2002 if my memory is correct....

I am glad Toby came back to add some more and apologize, and I hope he does not take my previous post as a flame, from the looks of his eBay experience it does not look like he has been using it for selling cars at all and I only want to help. Rennlist has been very helpful to me with Porsches I have put on eBay, some even were won by Rennlisters that were not on eBay searching until they saw some details on it here.

I think I only have one more suggestion for Toby... Join Rennlist, buy more nice Porshces that you come across and post them here first!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:44 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't see anywhere on the car where J4J4 code appears. The badge on the door jamb states paint code was 301 (I think):

The C of A is all the proof required of the original paint color. Maybe the car was painted by VW, which in that year J4J4 represented Ocean Blue. Still I don't understand why the C of A is different from the paint code inside the door.

Last edited by JBH; 03-16-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
jay72
Racer

Some Paint flaws were common on Porsche 930(and I imagine 911 and others) in the seventies. My '79 930 (which is a few vin# away from this car) which has less than 5000 original miles has a few. I have seen other all original early 930's (one with 500 miles! that was a gift from Porsche to a race driver) and they have similar flaws. If you look very closely at the paint it almost looks hazy or porous. You have to look very close. I have been told that this was the glasurit paint aging and also due to the early galvanizing. It is noticable on each door if you look on an angle. I have also seen in some cars drips and or sags in the paint in certain areas on some cars. I have also had this confirmed with a few 'experts' in the Porsche world.

I would have to see this car in person to make a true judgement. The factory paint code in the door jam is the correct code for light blue metallic. I highly doubt that the car was painted a different color. It is possible that J4J4 is a later code for the same light blue metallic. This can occur on the COA. I know that J3 is a current code for Ocean Jade metallic. I also know that if you call PCA there records pre 1980 can be a little vague.

Sloane Russeck
1979 930
1989 factory slantnose cab.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

The factory has 2 numbering systems for their paint codes. MY Cobalt Blue is known as 37U as indicated on the car but the original window sticker and certificate of authenticity says F6F6. Both are valid numbers for this paint color. I would look further into it. It is very possible this same thing is occuring. It looks like Toby is stating the internal factory code number.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
BJJones
Instructor

you guys..........................................
Old 03-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Just a quick note, and not even about selling Porsche's to this crowd...

The J4J4 code would be used for ordering the car in that color from the factory. The 301, IIRC, would be the actual paint code, to be used by a paint shop to find the correct color.

FWIW
Old 03-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Curt911
Pro

Glad you sold it Toby!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Wink Read My Feedback Please

See guys, I'm not so bad after all...the buyer was overwelmed with the condition of this car...read the feedback. And we wonder why CNN's Crossfire was cancelled?...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:14 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad you sold the car!

It was a circuitous route, but I learned something about paint codes.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:16 AM
a-dougk1
5th Gear

Just as a quick data point, my car is a 1979 930 with light blue metallic paint. Porshe says my car is rain forest green metallic. The "1979 Porsche Colors" brochure I have doesn't even list rain forest green metallic, only light green metallic, oak green metallic, and colibri green metallic (only for the 924).

Methinks Porche is mistaken.

Doug
Old 04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
jay72
Racer

Your car could have been ordered "Paint to Sample".

Sloane Russeck
1979 930
1989 factory 930 slantnose cab

Quick Reply: 79 turbo on ebay