Bolt-on Garrett GT35R turbo for 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A.Wayne,

No pump. As the garret race engineer suggested I 'T'eed off the supply line since it was too large already.

So the oil goes in one jacket fitting, out the other and into fittings tig welded on the bottom of the lower valve covers. oth sides are plumbed this way...

Works great.

I have not checked the temps, all I know is I no longer have to replace them every race weekend!!!

Norm
Old 05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

I have run both types of turbos on my GT1 R . Greg at Tial built me some ball bearing turbos and I ran this motor very hard and never had any problems with them. The one thing as a driver you always have control of is cooling your system down properly. Take some easy time on the car after hard driving. I have run mine contiuously in 2 hour type enduros with no ill effects and plenty of turbo life .

Old 05-31-2006, 08:11 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VZ935
I have run both types of turbos on my GT1 R . Greg at Tial built me some ball bearing turbos and I ran this motor very hard and never had any problems with them. The one thing as a driver you always have control of is cooling your system down properly. Take some easy time on the car after hard driving. I have run mine contiuously in 2 hour type enduros with no ill effects and plenty of turbo life .

Now THAT is a track slag!! Can i have a go??

Edit: Isn't that K27Madness's Avitar?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:38 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, that GT-1R has a fat ***
Old 06-01-2006, 12:15 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice GT1-R car!

BTW- I always let my car cool down as well after all runs.

The issue with my Garretts (which are not a GT3R) according to one of the Garrett turbo design engineers is that the ball bearing cartridge in my model has compositve clips at each end (internally). Those clips can only take 390 degrees of direct heat or they melt. He said the problem is not that the bearings are getting hurt, it is the clips deforming. He was the one that told me that he recommends that any air cooled porsche at least run oil run oil through the water jacket for cooling.

It has indeed solved the problem. I used to have to change these turbos every race (unfortunately I now have about 30 turbos in boxes with only one race on them)...

But the good news is now I no longer have to do that....

Norm
Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Nice GT1-R car!

BTW- I always let my car cool down as well after all runs.

The issue with my Garretts (which are not a GT3R) according to one of the Garrett turbo design engineers is that the ball bearing cartridge in my model has compositve clips at each end (internally). Those clips can only take 390 degrees of direct heat or they melt. He said the problem is not that the bearings are getting hurt, it is the clips deforming. He was the one that told me that he recommends that any air cooled porsche at least run oil run oil through the water jacket for cooling.

Norm
Interesting. Thanks for this tidbit Norm! Sorry you went through so many turbos though.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBL930
Now THAT is a track slag!! Can i have a go??

Edit: Isn't that K27Madness's Avitar?

I don't know.. it was sent to me by a friend...I have no problem giving it up if it is .
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

VZ 935 This car is unreal! Must be so much fun on the track.

Do you have a pressure sensing setup or MAF? Is it still on Motronics? I suspect you have a Protomotive program in there..?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by VZ935
I don't know.. it was sent to me by a friend...I have no problem giving it up if it is .

He's been banned anyway so i guess it doesn't matter, he's a turbo builder called Tom H that's all i know, i didn't know him but plenty on here did

Quick Reply: Bolt-on Garrett GT35R turbo for 911