Bolt-on Garrett GT35R turbo for 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:56 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Kevin,

Another question that just came to mind - do I need 2 pumps with a separate supply and return to each turbo or just 1 pump and connect them in series. If I connect them in series, I wpuld guess the first turbo will most likely get cooler than the second due to the heat transferred to the water after cooling the first turbo before it enters the second turbo.

Thanks,
Norm

Run one pump and split ithe line before it enters each turbo and then you can run each drain on its own or you can merge them back together and run one line back to your sump.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

How do you insure equal H2O flow when you split the lines ? If I simply use a Y-splitter on average will the flow be the same on both outputs of the 'Y'. If so, this would be easier than running 2 pumps.

Thx,
Norm
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Jean
Great thread and great Q&A. Norm it would be wonderful if you could share some pictures with the board once you have built the setup. I would be very interested to build one as well for my Garrett turbos if possible.

We can build aluminum or stainless tanks here with high pressure caps for those that are interested.We can set them up with all the provisions for watercooling whether you want to run dual pumps,have dual drains,etc.......
Old 03-22-2005, 03:05 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Tim,

How do you insure equal H2O flow when you split the lines ? If I simply use a Y-splitter on average will the flow be the same on both outputs of the 'Y'. If so, this would be easier than running 2 pumps.

Thx,
Norm

The flow will be very close to equal if you use the same size lines and are using the same size inlets/outlets on your turbos,sump, etc.......
Old 03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks Tim. I will contact you offline, I will test my new turbosystem first in a few days, but knowing the kind of temperatures we have here in summer, I will definitely be interested.
Jean
Old 03-22-2005, 07:39 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Liquid will always follow the path of least resistance and you can not get even flow. The best thing to do is use a distribution block like for fuel lines. The same laws of fluid dynamics apply and these blocks are designed to flow equal from side to side. A simple tee will not do the trick
Old 03-23-2005, 09:09 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen, I was thinking the same thing which was the reason for my question. I will use a fuel distribution block.

Thx,
Norm
Old 03-23-2005, 09:11 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem. Sometimes it the simple things that matter the most
Old 03-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Natchamp
Intermediate

a) the myth that GT turbos need water to survive is snake oil. I have them.

b) if you wanted to take any doubt out of the equation and run a water system, seems to me that a "T" in the line would work fine if the length of both the lines (after the T) were equal. If they are equal length the resistance should be equal, hence the flow should be equal.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

Are your GT's on a race car or street car ? How much boost do you run. What are your EGTs?

I have 2 GT25R's and they last 20 race hours on my car. But mine is a road race car.

When I say last, after 20 hours the cold side starts dripping oil. Meaning the seals start leaking. The turbo still seems to work fine. But I do not like leaks, because that is usually the start of the demise. And I do not like working on the car at the track. Which is why I do most everything proactively so I can just drive when at the track.

On a street car, I can see it would be no problem at all. In an endurance road race car, I am on the boost virtually all of the time, so there is much more heat.

Again, I cannot swear that not water cooling them is causing the wear, but the common assertion or belief that has been mentioned on this thread is that water cooling will only trmendously help improve longevity.

I am interested in your input. If it truly makes no sense, then it is not worth the time or $. But if it tremendously prolongs the life of the turbos (which seems to make logical sense) then it may be worth it.

Thx,
Norm
Old 03-24-2005, 10:21 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Norm,
I agree with Kevin. It may be unchartered territory in increasing the longevity of the turbo seals by adding a separate water cooling system. There may be other means to try to increase the MTBF of the turbo seals. One method would be to maintain oil circulation around the turbo bearings after track excursions. Your problem may be coking of the oil during cool down. Maybe a separate oil circuit with a dedicated turbo sump pump hooked in parallel to the engine's oil tank? This way you wouldn't have to go through all the additional work, plumbing and weight penalties that a water cooled system would provide. It could be put on a timer/thermostat controlled hookup so that the sump would run until a predetermined time or temperature is reached?
One last question; Are you using synthetic oil in your engine?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:24 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Interesting idea...

I run Mobil 1 15 - 50 full synthetic.

Norm
Old 03-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Natchamp
Intermediate

Norm,

I have a pair of GT28RS's on a road car, running 15lbs of boost. My EGT's range from 1200-1600 when I'm driving in go mode. But being on the street, that doesn't last long at all. Road racing with boost on all the time is a whole nother ballgame I know. Please don't take this as a dumb question but are you doing adequate cool down when you come off the track? I would think you would really need to let the thing cool down for a while before shutting it off. Personally, I just don't buy the premise about the water cooling thing, it's just my opinion. I've talked to a lot of people that have used them hard without the h2o without any problems. Seems like most of the people that say there is a problem always are selling kkk's. cheers.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:46 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I do always let the car idle for 2-3 mins to cool down after coming off the track.

Norm
Old 03-26-2005, 12:32 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Norm,
Did a little searching on the web for electric oil pumps. This application offered by Dana Corp looks intrigueing....
http://www.dana.com/technology/intelligentLub.shtm
It has its own heat exchanger and some microprocessor controls.

Quick Reply: Bolt-on Garrett GT35R turbo for 911