911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1982 DP 935 Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,
You sure got a great deal!!! You couldn't even get a regular turbo for that!!
My engine spec's by Ruf are the following:Ruf 3.4 liter,large intercooler,modified k-27,adj boost,group B cams,heads ported and polished,front oil cooler,etc ...Full DP suspension,sway bars,torsion bars,shock tower brace, 8" front and 11" rear Fuch wheels... It was pretty much ordered with everything including the custom interior.Hope you are enjoying your car.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jgrant,

1.2 bar? That seems a bit on the high side. Even with the right conditions, intercooler....a well tuned CIS would be good upto 1.1 bar with good gas. I would'nt push it more.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve 935: Yeah, it WAS a great deal... well worth the hassle of importing it into Canada! And I'm LOVING it! My dream car has always been a 930, so this is beyond my wildest expectations.

Sameer: According to the tech that's looked at it, the engine's had the mods done to handle the boost... and I'm lucky in that I can get 94 octane in our street pumps here in Vancouver (gotta love Chevron!)

That being said, I ususally have the boost control set to 1 bar or less, as that's still plenty fast for the driving conditions around here. If I ever get it out on the track, that may be a different story, but the last thing I want to do is blow it up... I just enjoy driving it too much.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

<=== green with envy
Old 01-22-2005, 02:04 PM
koenig911
Intermediate

Jeff -

Check CAR AND DRIVER ON PORSCHE 1982-1986 has info on DP935.

Paul
Old 01-22-2005, 03:39 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by koenig911
Jeff -
Check CAR AND DRIVER ON PORSCHE 1982-1986 has info on DP935.
Paul
Thanks. That's where I got the original article I posted. I picked it up off of eBay about a week ago. Too bad it's all black & white photography though. Oh well.

...jeff
Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sameer
does it still retain the stock intercooler?
Just checked it out with some others, and yes, it appears to be the stock intercooler.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to upgrade it, and if I'd see any really noticible performance increase?

Something to ponder while it sits there sleeping in storage during the rainy winter here in Vancouver. (Luckily, it dries out occasionally, like last night, so I can take it out every week or two, so it's not ALL bad).
Old 01-23-2005, 12:17 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jeff, I think it's about time you posted some pictures of your beautiful DP!!!

I've always loved the '80s-tuned 930s, they are all unique in their own way, would love to see a bunch of pics of yours (interior/exterior/engine, etc.).
Old 01-23-2005, 12:23 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Amir-

I don't really have too many to post, as I haven't really had a nice day to clean it up and take some pics.

I'll post what I can though, just cuz you asked.

...jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Default Some pics

As requested, here are some pics:

They're a little small, but you can see better ones at http://www.jeffgrant.com/935

...jeff

Last edited by jgrant; 04-16-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:38 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! That piece behind the fender is interesting, instead of starting below the rear taillights it starts above the taillight and continues the line all the way to the fender. You should fix the rear wiper position (it's supposed to be 90 degrees to the position it's in now when at rest) and also add the DP graphic to the back of the rear spoiler. Other than that, looks like all she needs is a good vacuum. I love the whole body setup, it looks very '80s, but the agressive bumper with those huge lights, the running boards, rear 1/4 panel and especially the wheels look fantastic.

EDIT: Just noticed the front turn signals are super skinny, the front bumper has been modified to make it look that way. That boost control **** on the center console is badass. Your car is sweet jeff, and you got it for an awesome price. If I were you, I'd try to keep it appearing as original as possible, it's a time warp.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:49 AM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

Hi everyone. I have a 79 935 DP that I have owned since 1990. I have it in pieces right now totally restoring it. I want to thank you guys for posting the information that you have. I have been on this list since it was Porsche Fans, Porsche List and also on Pelican and haven't found much information on these cars. A friend of mine did own one of Rod Stewards black 935 DP's. The VIN said it was a 77 so Im not sure when it was actually built. The same friend also had a German magazine from 1979 called Auto Sport {it may just have been written in German} that wrote a story about the introduction of the 935 DP's.Steve do you have any pics of your car? I took some the day I was at his shop but they didnt come out. I have been collecting pictures and any articles from magazines also. I will keep and eye on this thread and help answer anything I can. Im looking for information on the first series of the cars {series I?}. Any help appreciated. I would like to know where to source the rear license plate lights and a few other things if anyone knows.I have the DP rear fiberglass bumper. Thanks again.
Quinn
1979 DP 935
porsche935@gmail.com

Last edited by CrAzYcArGuY; 07-21-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:56 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
You should fix the rear wiper position (it's supposed to be 90 degrees to the position it's in now when at rest) and also add the DP graphic to the back of the rear spoiler.
Interesting... I didn't know that. It could also be that the motor "return to rest" function is dead, so it stays where it's at when it's off. (It's on my list of things to fix).

Thanks for the compliment. I just love the thing to death; so much so that the wife calls it "The Mistress" now.

The front wipers and the spray systems are rather "interesting" on this car, in that the previous tech didn't know SFA about them. While the engine is INCREDIBLE (my current tech's jaw hit the ground when I brought it in to him, something about him NEVER seeing a 930 NOT leak oil), some of the subsystems were screwed for some reason.

For instance, the wiper washer motor was using the brake fluid overflow reservoir as the input for the washer pump. Some intern probably couldn't find the re-located washer fluid reservoir, so plugged it into the first reservoir he saw under the hood... the brake fluid overflow reservoir. So, the first time my new tech replaces the fuse and the fried washer pump and tries it out, he shoots brake fluid over the top of the car. His eyes bug out of his head in a classic "OMFG!" pose as the windshield gets covered with brake fluid, and he rushes and grabs a hose and washes the car off, proceding to soak everything else in the shop. At least there were no after effects from the brake fluid!

Also, a bunch of the smaller motors are old and burnt out, and I'm in the process of replacing them... the heater fan, the rear wiper motor, etc.

As to the DP sticker under the rear spoiler, I kind of like it without it. I've also applied for a custom license plate of "DP 935", so hopefully that'll be enough. It also doesn't have the DP graphic on the bottom of the doors, but it is embossed on the inside door sills. Nice and low-key.

Another nice surprise was that I've got full-on BBS wheels under those "vent disks / covers / hubcaps" on the wheels. I pulled them off only to find that they were trapping all sorts of brake dust in there, almost to the point that they were pitting the wheels, which I've since cleaned up as best I can. (I'm still taking them to a local pro shop to get them restored a little better than I can do them).

I've been lucky enough to pick up a set of 6 factory shop manuals for the '82 930, as well as a whole bunch of other reference books (CIS, 101 projects, etc.), so am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of this thing as I slowly fix the small little pieces that are still not 100%.

My only concern are some of the "black box" pieces-parts that I have NO idea on how they work. (The DP-custom air/fuel mix control for the 1.2 bar boost, etc.)

I'm just glad that all the major systems are working 100%, and I don't have to worry about those black-box pieces for a while yet.

...jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 02:11 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrAzYcArGuY
I want to thank you guys for posting the information that you have. I have been on this list since it was Porsche Fans, Porsche List and also on Pelican and haven't found much information on these cars.
Cool! That's _EXACTLY_ the reason I put the info up here. When I bought mine, I couldn't find out ANYTHING about them, so I thought "what better place to get the info up and available to people and Google?", and posted what I had.

Sorry, though, I have no idea as to how to source any parts for the thing. I've tried to contact DP directly to get some info from them, but that's been a no-go so far. I'm not even sure if the current incarnation of DP Motorsports has anything to do with the DP that did these conversions.

Are you keeping pics of your rebuild? If so, it'd be great to see them. I'd also be interested to see if you have the same "black box" for air/fuel mixture control and manual boost adjustment as mine has.

Best of luck getting it all back together!

...jeff
Old 01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

If you are using the stock intercooler, thre is no way you should run at 1.2 bar, not even 1 bar. Just my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: 1982 DP 935 Information