911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ruf BTR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Ruf BTR Questions

I'm looking at an 86 Ruf in perfect shape with 18k miles (a "car in white" ruf, not a conversion). Anyone know what all was done for the BTR as far as intake, exhaust, which turbo, intercooler, oil cooling, transmission etc.? It has the 86 vintage Ruf 5 speed.

What is this car worth?

Thank you very much.

-dc
Old 11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dc,
The BTR conversion or the original BTR which both have the same conversion dne to it other than the documentation is below:

Ruf Nurbergring shocks
Ruf sway bars
Ruf brakes
Ruf 17" speedline rims
Ruf short shift(it's an option now)
Ruf boost controller(it's an option now)
Ruf seats(a few types)

Ruf K27 turbo or the K29, its an option now
Ruf group B cams
Ruf intercooler(it's not a long neck)
Ruf exhaust(stock exhaust gutted out, not as good or free flowing as B&B,GHL or Fabspeed)
Ruf 3.4 7.5 compression litre P&C kit(it's an option or you can go with the 3.3 7.5 compression)
Ruf Motronic EFI(an option now) or you can still retain the K Jettronic which they still do the conversion retaining it

Ruf did'nt upgrade the headers so that they could pass emmisions in the US as Ruf cars are road legal cars. In terms of cosmetics, you should goto www.weissach.com or www.ruf-automobil.com

A lot of the parts were not available in their BTR or the conversion before but now with technology and times Ruf offers more options. Before they did'nt use titanium retainers or racing valve springs neither did they port and polish the intakes. All these options are offered now.

Basically if you were to take a stock 930 now and do the conversion at Ruf, all these options would me available to you which they didn't have before. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Sameer,
Thank you so much. That is very helpful. Looks like it had 374hp based on their website? That number should be a lot higher with a better exhaust.

Any idea what a pristine 86 with only 18k miles is worth in USD?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Sameer
Race Car

How can I forget, yes the BTR conversion included the 5 speed g/box but many of us who have done the conversion has left that option out. I do know a customer here in Singapore who also has the Ruf 6 speed g/box in his 930 conversion.

Ruf also offered a better front mounted oil cooler in the conversion. If you were to buy this original BTR, you'd have a lot of Ruf pats to buy now as their BTR inventory has grown.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Leandro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derick,
There is a guy in NY who is selling an 1986 black/black. His name is Richard Sloan. It seems to be an original RUF imported to the US. He wants over 68k for it. The guys from Gulf Performance used to represent RUF here in South Florida, now represent FVD. They told me that RUF used to charge about 50k for a complete BTR engine. If you want more info about the BTR I can get a copy of the papers that came with my car. The BTR can reach about 425hp @ 1 bar.

Leo
Old 11-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Derick,
Thanks for the info. Does the 425hp include the after market headers?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Default Ruf in NY

Leandro,
That's the car. I've been talking to Richard about it. Seems like it is just about perfect, I'm just choking on the price a little. The last couple of BTRs I've seen trade have gone for more like 40 something. $25k is a lot to pay for low mileage and lots of documents. How much is that little three letter emblem really worth...??

-dc
Old 11-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Leandro
Advanced

Derick,
IMHO the beauty and the price is in the eye of the beholder. RUF cars do carry a premium which reflects the uniqueness of RUF cars. I think this is one of the reasons why we love to modify our 930s and make them reflect ourselves. Most of us who love Porsches know that the condition and maintenance is the most important factor in buying these kind of cars. I say that because the overall condition of the car reflects the pride the owner takes in keeping his car in good or excellent shape. The idea of buying a car from a broker does not turn me on because we know that (1) there is profit involved, and (2) most important he does not know the car the same way that the owner would.
The grill on the front valance of that car looks funny. Ask for the vin# and go drive the car. When I bought my BTR, I asked the owner to take the car to the airport so I would drive the RUF to his house where we closed the deal. I arrived in Atlanta at 10am, 12am I was on the road and 8:30pm I was in Miami. 30 min delay was caused by the Trooper who stopped me at 92mph at the Atlanta perimeter. What a thrill!!! Remember that half of the fun is on the chase. Too bad that there are not enough RUF cars out there for sale.
Remember to have fun, always.
Cheers,
Leo
Old 11-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Leandro,
Congrats on your RUF BTR.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 PM
mpladson
Advanced

Derick,
Ruf cars are worth a premium because the execution of the entire package. The value is held strong over the years and likely to keep strong as Ruf continues to build great cars. You could buy a very nice 930 and put a ton of great parts in it and guess what...the value does down. You need to be sure of the pedigree and current mechanical condition. Low mileage does not equal pristine, please have a seasoned Porsche mechanic inspect the car.

The value of the "Ruf" package is purely in the eyes of the buyer. I think the the 68K referenced is a premium price for a premium car. You could come close to a 993 Twin Turbo which is has a lot more technology. I love the look of the early turbo and the raw power is awesome.

Mark
86 Ruf BTR

Quick Reply: Ruf BTR Questions