Cool collar, does it work??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cool collar, does it work??

Hi guys,

They are selling this product on Pelican and I was wondering if any of you'll have tried it before and if it did make a difference. Even if it does make a small differnce, let me know and I will pick it up but I first want to hear your comments. Anyway this is what I got off the Pelican website.

"Turn your oil filter into an oil cooler with the Cool Collar. The patented, aluminum, finned cooler slides onto your existing oil filter, increasing the surface area by up to four times the original amount. Easy installation - just slip it on and clamp it down. Lab tests have shown up to a 10% reduction in oil temperature by using the Cool Collar. Easily fits oil filters 3 5/8 inch to 4 inches in diameter. For more information see our Pelican Technical Article on Installing and Using the Cool Collar. The Cool Collar includes a brand new Mahle Oil Filter"
Old 07-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one and installed it but I do not have a graduated oil temp gage. Just the gage with the White box and red "HOT" markings so I can't give actual numbers.

What I found was that the cool collar definitely gets hot so the fins are dispersing some of the heat. I do not see my oil temp gage move by using the collar. It seems to stay the same. My thought is that there is so much oil in the system that by trying to use a small collar to cool 13+ quarts is difficult.

Is it doing any harm? NO. For $20 it was worth a try and if it helps keep my 24 year old turbo a little cooler it was worth it. I really doubt that it is 10% cooler though. Maybe.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Koda
Advanced

lol
Old 07-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Gino
Racer

I bought one too. don't notice any change to temp, but you are correct... it does get hot so it's doing something.
I've been think about installing the pipe cooler that replaces the "S" connector hose from the oil tank. Now that looks like it will do something.
Anybody have some experience with that unit?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the cool collar as well. No 10% reduction in temps or close to it.

It does get hot like the others said as well so every little bit helps. A fron air dam and a fender mount oil cooler with a fan will help most.

The S hose replacment part still has the jury out. It might be like the cool collar. Every bit helps...
Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a response on the PCA tech web site about the collar and they basically say that that using a volume formula and the square area of cooling surface of the collar, and the time the oil is in the filter that there is not much change in the overall temp of your oil. However, if it gets hot then it is removing some heat from the oil.

911rudy
Old 07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Gino,
I know which cooler your talking about, I'm going to show it to my mechanic first before I go ahead and purchase it. I'm sure it will work much better then the cool collar

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Ok guys I went ahead and bought this collar thing from Pelican parts. If it's anything, it will be for the better and like you guys and I do mention sometimes, every little bit does add up.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What I would do also is cut in half long ways on the side opposite the cut that is there. Much easier to slip on in two pieces than one piece.

Quick Reply: Cool collar, does it work??