Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fabspeed intercooler. Who's using it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 09:20 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Fabspeed intercooler. Who's using it?

I had the opportunity to pick up this intercooler, second-hand but still in box in unused condition. I couldn't pass up on the price.

Anyone have any feedback? Tips? To be honest, my experience with FS products in the past has been less than positive. At this point I'm still unsure if I want to install it

Old 05-22-2024, 11:09 AM
David Delano
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed one and yes, it required some 'fitting'. In particular cutting the 'cowl' portion that sits atop the IC to fit to the deck lid. If you have a rear wiper motor (I do) you may find that the cowl interferes with the wiper motor. I did not plan to eliminate the rear wiper (I like original cars that all electronics work well) so had to shape and trip the cowl on the front facing edge of the IC to fit below the motor as you are closing the rear lid. You can see the motor and the fitting I had to do in this pic. I have also attached a set of instructions and tips I learned while doing it. It's not a complete instruction manual and may or may not be relevant in some areas to your car as mine is a CA spec car with two 'ports' on the IC for fresh air feeds to the AAR and AAV. The Fabspeed IC is designed for non-CA cars with one port from the IC to the AAR. Now that it is installed and working it works great. This with a front mount oil cooler and the car struggles to get up to 'normal' operating temperature under normal driving conditions. It's pretty cool now (pun intended). :-)
Attached Images
Old 05-22-2024, 11:10 AM
David Delano
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's another view showing the connection to the AAR.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:43 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BauerR
I had the opportunity to pick up this intercooler, second-hand but still in box in unused condition. I couldn't pass up on the price.

Anyone have any feedback? Tips? To be honest, my experience with FS products in the past has been less than positive. At this point I'm still unsure if I want to install it
Hey OP,

We are sorry to hear that you're having some second thoughts about installing the intercooler and that something may have left a sour taste in your mouth previously. We truly do apologize and would be happy to do what we can to turn things around.

As far as customer testimonials, we do have a few on our product page, and would be happy to connect you to a user. These intercoolers were designed on our personal 930 slantnose back in the early 2000's and have gone through a miriad of adjustments to further maximize performance and improve fitment/ease installation.

They are truly one of the best mods you can make, given the hindered performance of the OEM cooler. As seen in similar designs by RUF, etc.

I see you are down in Baltimore via your profile, if you're interested in bringing the car up to our HQ, I'd love to do the installation here and give you a tour of the facility. We truthfully have re-vamped all of our internal processes over these last couple of years, to not only increase our capabilities and throughput, but also the overall customer experience. Please feel free to shoot us a PM if I can help with anything else!

Here's a customer video regarding the 930 Intercooler Installation, I will also include those testimonials below

Posted by Jack H*****
I bought this as part of a large order and am super happy with the quality and kit included. Easy install. The fit was down to the mm, it literally misses my rear wiper unit by a couple of mm. I didn't expect to close the boot as it really maximises the space but it fits. It's a huge upgrade from the stock intercooler, which was designed back in the 70's. I also ordered the Zork/ wastegate pipe and headers which are the same high level you'd expect.

Posted by Wade H****
Added the sport exhaust and air cleaner years ago, added the intercooler last October. Whoa! What a jump in performance. So much power! Love it!

Posted by Peter L*****
As a retired Anaesthesiologist,I know that inspiration and expiration must be maximised to optimise gas exchange in the lungs. In an engine,Poiseuille's Law dictates that the same principle applies during a combustion cycle. After replacing the exhaust on my 930 Turbo with the FabSpeed System I was so impressed that I decided to fit a FabSpeed long neck intercooler. Worth every penny! Again it's beautifully made as one would expect from FabSpeed. I have to admit that it's a very snug fit but the end result is very impressive. The turbo still comes in at 2800 and reaches 0.8 bar at 3200. But almost immediately and the acceleration.........! If I thought it was quick before,now it feels lightning. And the combination with the exhaust sounds fantastic. I have to admit that my view is subjective but then,so is a "driving experience,"and that is hugely improved. If I loved my 1988 930 Turbo Targa before,now I'm restarting the affair! The combination of Intercooler and Exhaust is a "must have."

Old 05-22-2024, 12:17 PM
BauerR
Pro

Originally Posted by David Delano
Here's another view showing the connection to the AAR.
Thanks for the feedback! My car is a 1984 RoW w/rear wiper and AC
The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:31 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BauerR
Thanks for the feedback! My car is a 1984 RoW w/rear wiper and AC
Beautiful spec! It will be in good company if you do decide to make the trip up

BauerR (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 02:36 PM
BauerR
Pro

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Hey OP,

We are sorry to hear that you're having some second thoughts about installing the intercooler and that something may have left a sour taste in your mouth previously. We truly do apologize and would be happy to do what we can to turn things around.

As far as customer testimonials, we do have a few on our product page, and would be happy to connect you to a user. These intercoolers were designed on our personal 930 slantnose back in the early 2000's and have gone through a miriad of adjustments to further maximize performance and improve fitment/ease installation.

They are truly one of the best mods you can make, given the hindered performance of the OEM cooler. As seen in similar designs by RUF, etc.

I see you are down in Baltimore via your profile, if you're interested in bringing the car up to our HQ, I'd love to do the installation here and give you a tour of the facility. We truthfully have re-vamped all of our internal processes over these last couple of years, to not only increase our capabilities and throughput, but also the overall customer experience. Please feel free to shoot us a PM if I can help with anything else!

Here's a customer video regarding the 930 Intercooler Installation, I will also include those testimonials below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7LEYkEcBk
Posted by Jack H*****
I bought this as part of a large order and am super happy with the quality and kit included. Easy install. The fit was down to the mm, it literally misses my rear wiper unit by a couple of mm. I didn't expect to close the boot as it really maximises the space but it fits. It's a huge upgrade from the stock intercooler, which was designed back in the 70's. I also ordered the Zork/ wastegate pipe and headers which are the same high level you'd expect.

Posted by Wade H****
Added the sport exhaust and air cleaner years ago, added the intercooler last October. Whoa! What a jump in performance. So much power! Love it!

Posted by Peter L*****
As a retired Anaesthesiologist,I know that inspiration and expiration must be maximised to optimise gas exchange in the lungs. In an engine,Poiseuille's Law dictates that the same principle applies during a combustion cycle. After replacing the exhaust on my 930 Turbo with the FabSpeed System I was so impressed that I decided to fit a FabSpeed long neck intercooler. Worth every penny! Again it's beautifully made as one would expect from FabSpeed. I have to admit that it's a very snug fit but the end result is very impressive. The turbo still comes in at 2800 and reaches 0.8 bar at 3200. But almost immediately and the acceleration.........! If I thought it was quick before,now it feels lightning. And the combination with the exhaust sounds fantastic. I have to admit that my view is subjective but then,so is a "driving experience,"and that is hugely improved. If I loved my 1988 930 Turbo Targa before,now I'm restarting the affair! The combination of Intercooler and Exhaust is a "must have."
Thanks for the offer! Mechanically, I'm pretty competent. I just don't like needing to "refabricate" poor execution.
i will definitely reach out if things arent looking right!
Fabspeed Motorsport (05-22-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 09:31 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

It’s Joe Fabiani the President and founder of Fabspeed Motorsport. Some historical background information on the Fabspeed 911 Turbo 930 intercooler. I looked at all the 930 intercoolers offered over all the years and decided to CAD design the best intercooler with best engineering designs from Porsche , RUF, Kokeln, and ANDIAL. I called Dwain Dement VISION MOtorsports and also Arnold Wagner Andial and got advice from all 930 experts.

Here is what I designed and why>

1987 930 Turbo

Dual Fabspeed exhaust , headers and oval tips. Waste gate pipe

Closest thing to a KREMER K3.

Factory Euro 930S front spoiler .

1st- I eliminated all the O rings on the intercooler charge pipes that leak and move . I essentially updated the faulty leaky aluminum pipe that Porsche AG incorporated for the DLZ and K27 turbo to the C2 Turbo 965 style- a 4 ply silicone aircraft style hose. I had custom 4 ply RED silicone hoses designed C2 Turbo style. ZERO boost leak under any and all conditions. 1950s /1970s O rings are gone.

2nd- ANDIAL and Porsche Germany designed shrouding around the intercoolers to that all flat six engine drawn AIR has to PASS- Through the intercooler core. Designed in CAD and waterjet cut and CNC vent so the aluminum pieces bolt-on install to the factory whale tale. RESULT- cold ambient air passes through the intercooler RATHER than simply bypassing the intercooler .

3rd- Fabspeed incorporated multip,e connections under the intercooler and added a METH PORT for high boost high horsepower builds. Therefore no fabrication required.

4th- We CAD Designed a 4 ply left side hose to eliminate aluminum beer steins and metal splice pieces to eliminate the recirculator center section. The RED hose is 4 ply and looks great in all 930 engine bays.

I also own a 930 Turbo. My car is a 1987 930 Guards red 4 speed and is one of my favorite cars. NON Porsche people ask questions if it’s safe and fun. I tell them its has NO power steering, NO ABS brakes, NO air-bags, has evil handling and turbo lag and Terrible CIS gas mileage, a 4 speed manual, Airconditioning is weak ………lots of frowning and is “Called the WIDOWMAKER and has Killed many civilians” and they say WHY would you want a car like that?

Fellow Rennlisters and Porsche 930 guys/ gals know……..it’s a Blast!

If you ever need anything ask for John Sutor john@Fabspeed.com and Joe@fabspeed.com

www.fabspeed.com

37 year PCA Member and 30 years of Designing engineering and Dyno developing Porsche air-cooled and watercooled systems. Cruise by Fabspeed Motorsport 26,000sqft of designing engineering and 100% CNC manufacturing equipment and Dyno facility. Innovation not Imitation ~!
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Quick Reply: Fabspeed intercooler. Who's using it?