question on MSDS install on 79 930

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Eric McKenna
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on MSDS install on 79 930

Hey Guys..
I'm trying to install a MSD 6AL on my 930 and haven't got the car to fire yet. I'm thinking that the MSD is not reading the signal from the distributer. The distributer uses Hall Effect sensor for output, which I believe is the same as SCs but I'm not sure. I'm wondering which way is the correct way to wire up the distributer, with the magnetic input to the MSD (Violet & Green wires) or the points/amlified ignition input (White wire). I know the car doesn't have points, but I'm not sure if the Hall Effect acts as a magnetic pickup. The other wires in the system are pretty self explanitory, and the car runs with a Permatune and stock coil. I haven't tried to manually fire the MSD to check the Blaster 2 coil. I really need to know which input to use for sure and if the signal from the distributer needs to be altered in any way with a diode or resistor to get the MSD to recognize it. Thanks for any help.

Thanks..
I am asking for a buddy of mine
Thanks Guys
Old 05-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Eric:

If you would be kind enough to e-mail me directly, I'd be happy to send you a document outlining how to install the MSD 6AL on cars like your buddy's.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,

I hope I'm not stealing your thunder, but here's what we talked about awhile back on an MSD install on my car. Glad to see you have a document for the install. You know how helpful MSD is...

Here's a long question and answer email that Steve Weiner was kind enough to send me in regards to the install.

QUESTION: I'm installing an MSD 6AL in my '87 930 and have a question about the wiring. Here goes:

1- The large red wire goes to the battery or Pos lug on the starter solenoid. DONE
2- The large black wire goes to ground. DONE
3- The small orange wire goes to the Pos side of the coil. DONE
4- The small black wire goes to the Neg side of the coil. DONE
5- The small red wire goes to switched Pos. DONE
5- The white wire is not used. DONE. (I used this to trigger a MSD shift light after the initial install in addition to the tach output adapter)
6- The violet wire?
7- The green wire?

Since the Turbo uses a magnetic pick up type distributor and the MSD unit has a violet and green wire coming out of it which connects to the distributor, my question is which wire does the MSD violet wire connect to and which wire does the MSD green wire connect to coming out of the distributor? Does the MSD violet connect to the coaxial center wire or to the sheathing wire? Or the does the MSD green connect to the coaxial center wire or sheathing wire? Or does it even matter which one I connect to?

ANSWER: You are right in that the violet & green wires conduct the trigger voltage to the MSD. This is phase sensitive and must be connected correctly otherwise the car will not start or run poorly. Connect the center conductor to the green wire and the shield to the violet wire. I didn't want to cut any of my harness up, so I unplugged the wiring harness off the CD and connected my wires there (the ones from the distributor). *I read a post where someone found a connector to fit the original distributor connection.*

QUESTION: In addition, to make the tach work correctly, the tach adapter is used and:
1- The red wire is to switched Pos. DONE
2- The black wire is to ground. DONE
3- The white wire goes to the tach output on the MSD unit itself. DONE
4- The violet wire is run to the tach input (the purple and black wire by
the CD unit). DONE

Fine,.............

Sorry for the long question and I appreciate any help you can give me to make sure I make the last few connections correctly and not fry anything.

Happy to help anytime. This is what we do,.....

BTW. I emailed MSD the same question and they were clueless. Some tech support.

ROFL, and you are surprised at that???????
If its not some Detroit iron, those guys know nothing.

Have fun,
Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Portland, Oregon
E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
Old 05-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Eric McKenna
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed this on.. I will have him e-mail him
Thanks guys for the help! ..
It's very cool to have guys like you around to aid other P-car guys!
Eric

Quick Reply: question on MSDS install on 79 930