Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

My old 3LDZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 09:05 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My old 3LDZ

I'm in the garage clean out "mode"...
Is my old stock turbo worth anything?
Anybody want it?

Also have heater boxes, other exhaust stuff that will be going on E bay soon...

Old 05-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k27

Mitch-
How difficult was the K27 upgrade, if you did it yourself? Was it the HF or 7200? I'm working in the 7200 this fall from another 3.3 turbo. I assume that whatever modifications were necessary TO THE TURBO have already been done (had to be if it was previously working). Are there any modification required to THE ENGINE side?

What other 'stuff' do you have?
-G
Old 05-09-2004, 10:02 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How difficult was the K27 upgrade, if you did it yourself?
It's not a difficult swap, but you need to take your time and align all parts. Don't forget the billet alum adapter between the turbo and up pipe to the intercooler.

Unfortuately I don't think it comes w/ directions. Also you have to cap off your number 4 cylinder air injector for the old style oil line to work properly.

Perhaps a search on Rennlist would generate a post on an install. The Pelican Board. http://www.pelicanparts.com/index.htm

Jim
Old 05-10-2004, 12:52 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Hey Mitch,
Beautiful car & can you post few more picts esp a side view as i'm seriously considering K58R's myself.Btw are you using any spacers to fill up the fender gaps ? Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 03:35 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Lot's of questions...
I'd been collecting upgrade parts the last few months - turbo, header, a few small bits... - to install when I pulled the motor for a clutch and tranny fix...
Unfortunately, the motor pull is going to have to wait as my plate is full.
I did want to check/replace the WG diaphram as I suspected it was bad. Well I had to yank the "J" pipe to get to the rusty WG nuts - this was a MAJOR PITA!.
Once I got it off, I noticed the oil return tubes were leaking. The only way to get to them was to remove the heater boxes. I've had nightmares abt snapping the exhaust studs, but decided to go for it... They were easier than the J pipe! With the heater boxes off then the air injection system went in the trash (good ridance). Resealed the oil rtn tubes and valve covers, then replaced two oil lines and hopefully my oil leaks are history.

The GHL headers went on OK, the K27 is the same size as the old 3LDZ so there is no fitment issues. After cleaning the up the bottom of the engine and adding the polished stainless exhaust, I couldn't put that old WG on so I got a Tial from IA (Thx Roxanne). The GHL install kit replaces the big turbo oil return/breather can with a more sanitary setup and moves the big oil cooler line to the front of the motor. Sure is purty under there now! All told I must have eliminated 40 -50 lbs back there!

So, what started as a minor repair project turned into a sizeable upgrade. I'll post my impressions if they are significant...

As far as questions -
Understand the K27 is new and not a repaired 3LDZ. It's a 7200. Right after I got it, the HF became avail. A few weeks ago I asked Stephan if I should swap for a HF and he said a street motor with stock cams and P & C's would be better with the 7200.
To do the swap requires removing a lot of other parts to gain access but it is straight forward - typical P-car. A couple of the bolts/nuts that hold it to the exhaust collector are a little hard to get at, but thats it. The GHL lines up pretty well but not perfectly - but better than I expected. Rocket is right - take your time and don't get pissed if you have to back up and start again.
Neither the turbo or the GHL come with instructions, which is not good.

As far as engine mods with the turbo - it's plug and play. With the other mods I did, I think it's prudent to check A/F and /or CO, which I will have done - I don't have the equipment... My car had all the signs of running way rich.
My motor is mostly stock - With a Kokeln, it would be a IA II - look at my sig.

The Rears are 10.5 inch with 285's. Yes I did swap the stock spacers for some a little thicker (I can find the receipt if you need specfics). With the spacers I pretty sure you could go to 11.5 and 315's, which I will do when it's time for new rubber.
With the black Fuch's I never liked the blue much. Now with polished 18's, spacers, and Euro ride height the blue looks great. The K58R's were not cheap - but they make the car...
I've only got a few pix - I'll try
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2004, 03:37 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Default #2

a
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the silver one

Quick Reply: My old 3LDZ