pegged oil level gauge at startup & noisy rear fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Porsche930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pegged oil level gauge at startup & noisy rear fuel pump

Hello 911 turbo enthusiats,

Could you please advise where I should check to resolve the pegged oil level gauge problem?

This problem happened when the suspected faulty rear fuel pump started making noise. And no, I did not overfill engine oil.

After the engine reaches its normal operating temperature, the reading on the oil dipstick is 3/4 between the max. and min. marks when car parked level at idle.

When I drive the car around for awhile, the oil level gauge will suddenly return to normal reading.

A second non-related question: I have just replaced the rear fuel pump with a rebuilt unit, and I wanted to find out from everyone if I should or should not hear the rear pump when I turn the ignition key prior to starter engages. My rear rebuilt pump is noisy. btw-I have changed the fuel filter as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel pumps on my '79 have been somewhat noisy for years - at least since I originally bought the car in 1989. The mechanic who has done most of the work on it over the years says not to worry - they all make some noise.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Porsche930
Instructor

Dave-can you hear yours from the driver seat while idling?

Maybe I should clarify the noise level of the fuel pump...

Before I replaced the rebuilt rear unit, the original pump was quiet which is consistent with the front pump. I replaced the rear last weekend because I started hearing noise as soon as I turned the ignition even before starter engaged.

With the rebuilt unit just installed, I hear the noise just as loud at I turn the ignition, and I can even hear it along with the exhaust note when I am inside the driver seat idling at the traffic light.

I am concern if the noise level is normal. Any ideas?

Where else should I check on the pegged oil gauge? I have already cleaned the contacts at the oil tank sender, but the problem persists until the engine reaches operating temperature.

Last edited by Porsche930; 05-05-2004 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can hear the pump quite clearly from the drivers seat with the key on, but the engine not running. Once I start the engine I can't hear the pump over the engine noise - it kind of just blends together.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:50 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can hear my pump running at idle, or just cruising at a low speed. Bothered me at first, but has been like that for the 3 years I have owned it.

Ed
79 930
Old 05-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Porsche930
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses. I have just never heard the rear pump so loud before even when I am coasting. In retrospect, I should have purchased a new pump instead of a rebuilt. Now I just have to get use to the noise! It's kinda irritating :-(
Old 05-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Bobby Thomas
2nd Gear

If your rear fuel pump is still making noise after you replaced it, your problem could be the front fuel pump. My front fuel pump recently went out. My mechanic replaced it but, while doing the replacement, he knocked the fuel pump relay loose (and didn't know it). So, the rear fuel pump continued to scream like a banchee (it was trying to do the work of both pumps). My mechanic then replaced the rear fuel pump (apparently without looking to see that the front fuel pump was actually working. Again, the new rear pump screamed. It didn't stop until I started poking around and discovered the front fuel pump relay was not fully plugged it. Once the front fuel pump started working, the rear fuel pump became quiet.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Porsche930
Instructor

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for the info. I did check to make sure both fuel pumps were working by removing one of the two fuel pump replays and started the engine. While either one of the relays was unplugged, the engine started and idle fine. I then put both relays back and started the engine, but the rear pump was still making "noise". The front pump is quite, but the rear which is a rebuilt, is still noisy like the one I replaced. I should have bought a new unit instead of rebuilt from the beginning. I just need to do the same job one more time if I were able to get credit by returning the rebuilt and purchase a new one.

Quick Reply: pegged oil level gauge at startup & noisy rear fuel pump