911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Exhaust Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:56 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Swap

Hello all. Thinking of spring and sometimes that means not leaving well enough alone. My '88 930 is bone stock with 24k miles. The car is mechanically perfect with no issues and is in concours condition. However, I'm considering swapping the stock exhaust set up for a GHL muffler and headers (single outlet-I don't want to cut my valence). The problem is I don't know whether or not to bother...I won't be doing a turbo or intercooler upgrade. Will the exhaust upgrade alone give any noticable benefit in performance without the other mods? Is the improvement in sound alone worth the upgrade? I've read as soon as you start swapping stock parts the value of the car decreases, but I figured I could always swap it back. Maybe I should leave a perfectly good car alone until parts actually need to be replaced. All of your opinions will be greatly appreciated as I'm really stuck on this one! Thanks, Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headers to begin with a shorter in length(quicker spool for your turbo) and much lighter to begin with. To me at least the car sounds heaps better with the muffler change.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Depends what you want and if you have any goals. Do you plan on keeping the car forever or not? I know that might be hard to say but just some thoughts. The value of the car would go down in some peoples opinions but for others it wouldn't just as long as you get the mods done right with high quality. The header/muffler combo will help performance and make for a better sound. I wouldn't rule out the dual look muffler, i have the Fabspeed and it's the best one so far and looks mean.

Brent
Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Brent, how did you choose the Fabspeed over the other brands? I've heard that GHL's customer service and quality was better than B&B's but I haven't yet considered Fabspeed. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Brent 930
Racer

GHL is good and so is there customer service and I still have there headers with no problems. Though I also had there 3" single tip muffler with no issues I really liked the Fabspeed look and at the same time would lose the 180 deg. bend by going out the passenger side. The quality is probably a little better since the stainless is 14 gauge vs. GHL of 16 gauge but could be overkill. I also like the sound better than the GHL muffler IMO. In any case once your on boost it's going to be loud if you have a straight pipe for the WG. I have heard too many complaints about B&B's customer service, quality and there lack of muffler designs not to mention there more than GHL. Though Fabspeed is just a little more than GHL but worth it even though none of this stuff is, if you know what I mean.

Brent
Old 03-16-2004, 02:29 PM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Brent, why didn't you go with all Fabspeed components? Do they manufacture headers for the 930 also or just mufflers? Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Just mufflers for the 930 and didn't want to spend the extra $$$ on custom headers which usually don't have heat.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:56 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headers are a good upgrade they make the turbo spool quicker especially since you not upgrading to a k27 and give you about 20-30 HP. The only problem you may encounter is smog checks. You can keep your old cat&muffler to use for smog test. Another good upgrade is gears. Make the car feel like it has 50 extra HP since it will help you get on boost sooner. Just my 0.02. Keep all stock part for reverting back if you're worried about keeping up the value.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Swap