Bought a wrecked 993TT--What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Bought a 993TT--What to do?

Bought it for no reason whatsoever other than that it belongs to a friend who really took care of it. It had some mods done to it but mainly Ruf front and rear FG bumpers that looked beautiful (they are both repairable BTW!).

The engine was saved, sport suspension, transmission, engine, brakes, lines etc.. all seem to be in good condition. The Gemballa intercooler is gone, the Gemballa headers from one side are ripped off the case and the Exhaust, no cats, has a collapsed pipe. One of the Turbos caught fire. The BBS wheels are all broken.

I would love to hear from you guys what would you do with it and how to best use it on my 3.6 965 turbo. Some options I am thinking about:

For reference, my 965 is 460 FWHP and is fitted with 993 TT gearbox and 4 WD.

1- Straight engine replacement on my 965, and buy a turbo and the intercooler, try to fix the headers and exhaust and then add a Tec 3, Haltech or other programmable ECU. Downside is the engine numbers won't be matching for a potential future sale.

2- Attempt a Twin turbo conversion on my current 965 engine and then convert to EFI. I have no idea what parts need to be exchanged between the 2 engines.

3- Keep the 965 engine and try to adapt the 993 TT heads and manifold on the block, to materialize my EFI conversion. Alternatively, keep the current 965 heads and just port them to fit the 993 TT manifold. (Intake 43mm vs 38mm)

Anyone with experience to know what would be the easiest/most efficient way to go. Please make any suggestions, they are all welcome!

Thanks

Last edited by Jean; 05-26-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Disassemble the 993TT engine, twin plug, Carillo rods, a set of Kevin's hybrid k16 turbos, stock exhaust manifold/heater boxes, custom exhaust, good intercooler (not a stock one), MoTeC ECU and you'll have 750hp. Ditch the 4wd if you track it significantly as it will cannot handle that much power.

Resale value from originality??? Although your car sounds pretty impressive already, you've pretty much thrown that out the window with the 993TT trans and the 4wd.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have tuned a 3.8l single turbo car to 700rwhp which equates somewhere near 850fwhp at 1.1 bar of boost using a simple batch fired Haltech system. This car was also configured for 4wd at one point, but after only 1 race it was decided it wasn't working properly and when drained, very little fluid came out and is was black and smelled bad. If it had run much longer, it would most certainly have been destroyed. For a street car with less power it might be Ok.

I think 750fwhp is very realistic based on the cars I been working on. My personl 3.4l single turbo car is running 650hp @ 1bar on pump fuel. Again though, proper turbos and intercooling is required as are good strong rods such as Carrillo (my choice) or Pauter.

I would check with PorschePHd regarding the hydraulic valve lifters as he is really the true expert with these engines. In the race cars we always use mechanical.

You can also do the same thing with your 965 engine, find a 3.2 Carrera intake which bolts on, port the heads, use the x88 cams which are 964 cams or some derivitive of that, then decide single or twin tubos and fabricate the plumbing. The advantage of the 993TT setup is you already have everything you need with little fabrication and only bolt on performance goodies such as good turbos,intercooler, and BOVs

I guess my point here is that with the 993TT engine, high HP levels are easily acheived, however in a stock bodied car there are practical limits in terms of traction. I usually end up running my car (stock boded with MPSC) at .7 bar which is 550hp at the track and am quite happy with the performance. Lower boost levels = longer engine life and there are really very few tracks where I can truly use more power effectively. Sebring being one of those places.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...any pics of the crashed car? Just curious to see what it looks like now.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:49 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Skip the turbos, there are better versions out there. Intercooler is shot as well as the pipes I am sure.

Quick Reply: Bought a wrecked 993TT--What to do?