Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and another, this is the new rose jointed spring plate:
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry - your engine seems to be missing. Are these used parts? If so, did you get them revalved?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
BJJones
Instructor

This is a pic of the front struts and the second spring plate before instalation.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:32 PM
BJJones
Instructor

this one is of the smelly old bits that came off, I was very pleased to see the back of the torsion bars, they had coroded in and had to be driven out, also three of the spring plate mounting bolts on one side snapped even though I soaked them in releasing oil and heated them several times first.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:35 PM
BJJones
Instructor

This one is just to make me feel better as my car has been in bits for so long, genuine 993 RS recaro seats.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:42 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Very nice - those are sweet seats. Seeing all the parts you pulled off definitely makes me appreciate having a California car. My car still looks almost new underneath and all the stock suspension parts can be cleanded up to look pretty good.

As an aside, I will be installing front monoball cartridges tonight. Are you doing monoballs Barry?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Bill

The struts are second hand, as I am sure most RSR kit is; new inserts, bump stops, and mountings used all round.

My engine is being re-built at present, the car was running when I bought it but had been stood for 6 years, it had a snapped head stud and issues with perished seals etc. Good exscuse for a re-build but only to standard spec.

Other than that the interior has been stripped back to the metal, all sound proofing removed and painted.

Waiting to go in stainless race fuel cell, rs seats, rs carpets, bolt in half cage, rs panels (fitted), 993 T4 brakes using mounting hardware and bells from 9M, 9M twin outlet stainless exhaust, re-built standard 4 speed box with LSD, 18" turbo 2 split rims.

However its a long time coming when you are your own wrench, and taking my wifes M3 out at the weekend isnt quenching my thirst for the 930 experience!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:50 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Wow - that sounds like quite the project.

On the bunp stops, if you are referring to the rubber bumpers that mount on top of the shocks, you may want to omit those. If the rubber bumpers make contact during the normal spring travel you will have a very bouncy ride. I had this problem and had to pull the rears and remove them. I am told this is a common issues with coil over installs.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:53 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Bill, it is amazing the condition of different cars in different climates, my car is a 79 model, if it hadn't had been sat in a Ford showroom to amuse prospective buyers it would have been a pile of rust by now.

Unfortunatley that is the fate of many of Stutgarts finest in the UK, some people slag others off in the UK for not driving their Porsches enough. The reality is if you drove an early one all year you would have nothing left within a handfull of years!

Never mind we can always pray for global warning (Joke)
Old 02-02-2004, 06:57 PM
BJJones
Instructor

When you say remove the rubbers on top of the shocks, how is that possible? They are what mount the insert to the strut tower. Unless we are talking at cross purposes.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
BJJones
Instructor

aahhhh I have just looked at your pics again and see the parts you mean, I will keep an eye on them.

Might be some time before I actually drive it, although I have no interest in taking it out until it stops raining!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:04 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Barry - look at the picture where I have all the parts on the garage floor. Now look at the rear shocks. The way they are sitting in the picture is shock with collars on them, then a large rubber bumper, the the lower washer, then another small rubber bushing, then the upper washer. It is the large rubber bumper I am referring to. This ended up making contact with the upper mount during regular driving, so I had to pull the rear shocks off again. I ended up cutting it down to about 40% of its original size but have since heard that many people just eliminate this from the install altogether.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I missed the responses. The bump stops, yes, cut them down or remove all together. What you will find is the car will bottom out on these and cause the car to bounce like a turnip truck
Old 02-03-2004, 07:34 AM
BJJones
Instructor

Thanks guys, I have just checked mine and they have already been cut down this has obviously been an issue previously.

I am going to make a start on the fronts tonight, it will take a little while as I am replacing the track rod ends, 'A' arms (I have refurbished a second set) 'A' arm bushes, and bottom ball joints at the same time.

Then I will bite the bullet and start drilling out the three snapped spring plate mounting bolts, I am going to have to do this slowly with my dremmel multi as no other drill will fit!

Quick Reply: Coilover conversion