Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Possible project -- input requested (tangerine, turbo conversion, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Possible project -- input requested (tangerine, turbo conversion, etc.)

Hi All, long time Porsche owner here, currently with a hot rod 951 and '18 turbo s -- both in guards red to save on touch-up paint costs.

I've been mulling my next project and am thinking of converting a '74 or '75 911 to a hot rod 930 (look and driveline), and doing it in Tangerine (blood) orange. Those years tend to have a more project-friendly price, but more importantly are exempt from smog in CA.

Does anyone have a true 930 in this tangerine/blood orange? I love it in the early 911's, and assume it would look as good or better on a 930 body, but would love to see some pictures.

Re the body conversion, I've seen plenty of poorly done jobs where the wheel offsets are wrong and/or the flares look wrong. I assume that's just poor attention to detail/parts, and that it IS possible to make a '74 or '75 look spot-on. While I love the early 930 look (circa '76), I suspect I'll need the intercooler space from the late '70's cars. Doing plenty of googling, but any/all experiences, tips, resources would be welcome.

p.s. did find this thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turb...ine-930-a.html
Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 AM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my .02. How much h.p. are you looking for? Cost wise it would be cheaper to find an unloved 930 and built it to your specs vs piecing one together. Not sure how much the smog laws have changed, but back in '09 my '79 930 3.5 twin plug with all the smog equipment in place put out 390 h.p. @.9 bar. The only visual non stock items were the SSI heat exchangers, 12 plug distributor, and DP Motorsport intercooler, which passed smog. Jerry Woods built the motor and took it to the smog station. Leaning out the mixture was the only adjustment. Turning up the boost to 1.1 bar would easily put me in the +400 h.p. range.
I'd talk to Chris @ Turbokraft to see how much power he could get out of a smog legal CIS motor. I'd think 450h.p. would be very doable.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My old race car has turbo look steel flares and brakes. Runs E class PCA. Started life as a 78SC. Currently owned by Jason Nikic. Don't know if he would sell it.

Quick Reply: Possible project -- input requested (tangerine, turbo conversion, etc.)