911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fuse box on 88 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 11:06 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuse box on 88 911 Turbo

I just bought an 88 911 Turbo Cab. I went to put a fuse (#4 the one for the stereo and interior lights 5amp) and the fuse box looked like it was altered. In addition, when I turned the stereo on there was a large drain on the battery and the headlights dimmed. I immediately took the fuse out. I was wondering if someone with another 88 911 Turbo could post a picture of their unaltered fuse box so that I can compare. I may just have to take it to my mechanic to have them bring it back to stock.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:28 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is an '87. Hope these help.

Mine is wired for a emergency cut off, so a few wires might be different.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:57 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

Wow that was fast. Thanks Rocket! That helps a great deal. According to pelican parts the fuse box is the same for 930's between '78 and '88 (The fuse box decal is the same) so this should work. I'm going to go compare it to mine. Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Any time. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:01 AM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stupid follow up question. Is changing the fuses as easy as undoing the two scres and lifting out the fuse? Never had to work with fuses like this before. thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to change a fuse you don't need to undo the two screws. They are held in from the spring tension of the bottom portion the fuse sits on. Just press lightly downward on the bottom portion and it comes right out.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

gotcha thanks.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:41 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

Well from what I can tell mine looks almost the same. The only difference is that the amperage on some of the fuses do not match what the decal says is supposed to be there. For example, if the decal says there should be a 5 amp there is an 8 amp fuse. There are several like this. I think I'm going to have my mechanic check it out because I don't want to ruin my car.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:02 AM
garrickl
RIP

I do not think its a fuse problem. It is probably due to the fuse block being over loaded. Take a look at this article by Lee Rice on the Pelican Tech Article board. I did his suggested mods on my 78 and what a world of difference. A\C ran much stronger and colder, door locks snapped, no dimming of headlites and the fuse block and relays dropped from hot to cold when touched. http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/rice_ramblings-2.htm
Old 01-16-2004, 12:49 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since we're talking about electrical stuff on 930, I have a problem with my fog light not working. I'm able to get current from the positive battery terminal to the fog light leads. I ran the light lead straight to the battery and no blown bulbs. I figure its somewhere from the switch to the fuse terminal or relay. Does the foglight use a relay?
Old 01-16-2004, 05:09 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

garrickl - that's a great article. Thanks! I think I'll make these modifications to my car.

Here's another question for someone. When I tried to put the 5amp fuse into slot #4 - the circuit for the radio and interior lights - there was some very minor sparking. Is this normal? I've never seen that before. In addition, I think there's a short on this circuit because as soon as I turned the radio on my headlights dimmed to almost nothing. I immediately took the fuse out. Then this morning when I tried to start the car the battery was dead. Everything was fine until I put that fuse in. I plugged in the battery maintainer to charge the battery and plan on driving the car around tonight. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage. I'm keeping fuse #4 out until I can get to the bottom of this, which means no tunes.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

With a hot connection, a little sparking would be normal.

Pull your radio out or cut the power to it, reinstall your fuse and see what happens. Just trying to see what is causing your short.

As far as the radio goes. ..What radio? The only music you need to hear is your motor. I've had my car for 3 years and probably have 30 min of the radio playing. LOL
Old 01-16-2004, 11:15 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

I'll disconnect the radio as well as the Soundstream amp that's in the front compartment tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

As far as the radio, I probably wouldn't be able to hear the radio over the GHL exhaust anyway - it's very loud (but sure sounds good) .

Speaking of sounds, because I commute in this car a couple of times per week I'm thinking of putting in another exhaust system that will not make my ears ring after a long drive. Who makes a good high performance, 50 state (I'm in California) street legal exhaust system that isn't too loud, but that also sounds good?
Old 01-17-2004, 01:28 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Probably GHL and Fabspeed again, unless you want to swap in a stock one. They are easy enough to do in 1/2 hour.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:06 PM
justkickenit
Instructor

I finally got my battery drainage problem resolved. It was my stupid alarm! I had it removed. I think it was a faulty alarm. Glad that's behind me!

Also, I ended up putting the stock exhaust back on. I actually like this better. It's much more quiet and the engine runs smoother - stronger idle.

Quick Reply: Fuse box on 88 911 Turbo