911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

5pt harness/harness bar pic (red 930?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 05:19 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Default 5pt harness/harness bar pic (red 930?)

Anyone have an interior pic of their 5-pt harness/harness bar setup?

I seem to remember someone buying a red 930 on here with this setup on the car not too long ago. Im curious to see how it looks and would love to see a photo of that car again. Im thinking of redoing my seat belts from black to red and perhaps in the process may just bite the bullet and really do it right. I dont want to really ruin the stock look inside though depending on how intrusive the harness bar is.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:58 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Could have been my car. Brey Krause Harness bar with red belts. Unfortunately I have removed it and installed a bolt-in roll bar instead. Attached are the only photos I have of the setup before I did the roll bar install. I still have the bar if you are interested.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S4drifter,

I assume by using the 5 point harness with the stock seats is good enough to keep you in on the track, right? It looks like you use the mounts for the rear seat belts. This is something I was wondering about and need to decide if I go with new seats or the belts. I know both would be better but it's also about money.

UD,

AJ USA sells a harness bar and 5 point belts in the color black but it doesn't look like the harness bar has the guides like S4drifters bar.

Brent
Old 01-04-2004, 11:04 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Brent, the harness bar and the harness will keep you in the set just fine as long as the harness has an cross piece behind the headrest. The guides are an option when buying some bars. They do buckle into the rear seat belt anchors, but there is some debate whether using those anchors or just looping the belts over the bar is the best bet.

However, from everything I have read, wearing a harness at the track without rollover protection such as a roll bar is very dangerous. The harness keeps you in an upright position, if, in the rare case, you roll the car, the roof could compress. If that happens, the harness will not let you lean to one side or scrunch down to avoid major injury to your head and neck. Harnesses will be fine for an autoX but i would avoid it on the track without a bar or cage.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Good info, I guess seats are next on the list using the stock seat belts. Just need a way to stay in my seat on the track.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Good photos. Thats pretty much what Im lookin for (red belts too). Anybody have ballpark figures on the cost of doing a harness bar and a couple of 5-pointers?

Ive heard replacing the stock belts is difficult and expensive, hence looking at all options.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Brent 930
Racer

>$500
Old 01-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think 5pt belts with stock seats are a bad idea. What you see in the picture above is typical and what happens is that the seat tends to want to push the belts off of your shoulder, especially in an impact so you really don't have any upperbody belting. Seats with the shoulder harness holes keep the belts in place.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Geoffrey.

A guy in a BMW recently at VIR, was using Schroth belts on factory seats, no cage or roll protection.

When he hit the wall, the seat back broke, and when the car came to a stop, he said he was completely out of the harnesses because the seats bent far enough back that his movement exited him from the belts.

His accident wasn't really that hard of a hit either. It did $14K of damage to the car.

I did this for my first 2 track events, and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again. Get a purpose built seat if you are going to use harnesses, and as others have pointed out, use some rollover protection.

Brian
Old 01-05-2004, 03:00 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Forget that then. Im not replacing my sport seats. I'll just replace the stock belts with red belts and call it a compromise. Anyone know how much replacing the stocks is going to set me back?

Quick Reply: 5pt harness/harness bar pic (red 930?)